Park Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Park Board

Hey everyone,
I've been looking at picking up a board for quite a while now, and have my eye on the Never Summer Evo or maybe the Arbor Westmark. I'm a fairly casual rider, would like to be able to just play around with it all over the mountain. Situated in the UK, most of the year all I have access to is small rails, kickers etc in the Snowdomes, but I would like to be able to take it with me and use it when I go abroad at Winter. When I'm on the mountain I'm not the kind of person who just bombs down the slope (Doesn't appeal to me at all), I'm more looking for something I can have fun with at a moderate pace, and always be trying new things. The one thing that I don't really need the board to do is excess powder (To be able to handle a bit would be nice), as I already have a board that is suitable for that.

I am about 70Kg and 1.75m tall (5'9"). I use a pair of Thirtytwo Prion size 11.5 boots. I'm not sure about the pros and cons of those 2 boards I've mentioned, but am slightly wary about them being too narrow for my feet.

I'd welcome any suggestions regarding the board itself, or simply the length that would suit me best.

Thanks
Snowmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey! I Just currently own a Never Summer Evo, it is very forgiving, and is fun to play with in the park, or take the park to all mountain. I wouldn't go arbor, just my opining. Also a really nice park/all mount board is Salomon: The Villain, DC Ply, Theirs a lot more options, but you can never go wrong with the evo! As for your feet width, if your going with the evo, go with the revolver, (the wide version of the board). Good luck!
camfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply! So is the only difference between the revolver and the evo that it is wider? Or are there some other differences as well?
I'll take a look at those other boards as well, thanks for the suggestions
What length would you recommend going? I've been looking at 152ish

Edit: I've just checked out the DC ply, and price-wise and availability in the UK is very appealing. I don't mind getting the other boards shipped from US, but it is fairly costly. Is it similar to the Evo?
Edit #2: Is this the board you are referring to? I wasn't sure if the word 'Mega' in the title meant it was a different board:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-MEGA-PL...item5664f08164

Last edited by Snowmad; 06-01-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmad View Post
Thanks for your reply! So is the only difference between the revolver and the evo that it is wider? Or are there some other differences as well?
I'll take a look at those other boards as well, thanks for the suggestions
What length would you recommend going? I've been looking at 152ish
Revolver | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories

I don't know for sure if you are TO wide for the evo, but it may be a little washed out and pop not as much for the 152 with your big feet . but yes same board same graphics just sized up a bit!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfong View Post
Revolver | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories

I don't know for sure if you are TO wide for the evo, but it may be a little washed out and pop not as much for the 152 with your big feet . but yes same board same graphics just sized up a bit!
Ok, I'm looking at the Revolver now. Did you see my second edit of my post above, I can't tell if the Mega Ply is the same thing as the Ply, or whether they are different boards? I did like the look of the DC ply, would you say they are fairly similar boards (revolver and ply)? From what I can see, the Revolver looks like it maybe would be slightly more playful? That might be completely wrong though!
Cheers
Old 06-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, I'm looking at the Revolver now. Did you see my second edit of my post above? I did like the look of the DC ply, would you say they are fairly similar boards (revolver and ply)? From what I can see, the Revolver looks like it maybe would be slightly more playful? That might be completely wrong though!
Cheers
Actually I have owned both boards :
(I would call myself 80% park, 15% pow, 5% groomers)

Evo/Revolver : My go to board for this season, did spectacular on everything i put on it from park to pow to groomers! It felt like I could butter easy and do tree runs, but take it to the park and go crazy on rails. It is labeled as a park board, but you can ride it anywhere and it will preform! The one problem I did have with it is that it might give out on 60+ foot jumps (you said you would only have access to small so I wouldn't worry about this)

DC Ply ( http://www.dogfunk.com/dc-ply-snowboard )
(back when I rode this board I was about 60% Park, 40% Pow, 20% All Mount)
This was my favourite board for a long time, its a lot more all round mountain park, its a bit stiffer, meaning you can still butter around but also bomb hills going 70+ and not be scared shitless. This board would also accommodate your feet! This board excels at everything you throw at it, it all comes down to if you are gonna be doing a lot of park, and if you like stiff or soft ( no penis jokes please )

Last edited by camfong; 06-01-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually I have owned both boards :
(I would call myself 80% park, 15% pow, 5% groomers)

Evo/Revolver : My go to board for this season, did spectacular on everything i put on it from park to pow to groomers! It felt like I could butter easy and do tree runs, but take it to the park and go crazy on rails. It is labeled as a park board, but you can ride it anywhere and it will preform! The one problem I did have with it is that it might give out on 60+ foot jumps (you said you would only have access to small so I wouldn't worry about this)

DC Ply ( DC Ply Snowboard - Freestyle | Dogfunk.com )
(back when I rode this board I was about 60% Park, 40% Pow, 20% All Mount)
This was my favourite board for a long time, its a lot more all round mountain park, its a bit stiffer, meaning you can still butter around but also bomb hills going 70+ and not be scared shitless. This board would also accommodate your feet! This board excels at everything you throw at it, it all comes down to if you are gonna be doing a lot of park, and if you like stiff or soft ( no penis jokes please )
Thanks, you're being incredibly helpful! I'd say it's a tossup between Revolver and the Ply then, would a 153 in both be the kind of length I should be looking for? When you said that Ply was a little stiffer, is it considerably so? Or are you still able to butter around on it without too much effort.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks, you're being incredibly helpful! I'd say it's a tossup between Revolver and the Ply then, would a 153 in both be the kind of length I should be looking for? When you said that Ply was a little stiffer, is it considerably so? Or are you still able to butter around on it without too much effort.
My pleasure.

Being 5'9 70kg and you wanna butter around I would say deffinatly go for the 153.

Now about the stiffness it's pretty hard to tell when you break it in
About buttering, the Ply could butter easy once you break it in, but the if you compared the two the Revolver would win. It's softer, but has carbon string laments stabilizers in the tip and tail, meaning it will never wash out on butters and you can lock them in real good.

I don't know if this will help but i will make a little chart to show you

Jumping: Ply
Jibbing: Evo
Bombing groomers: Ply
Deep pow: Ply
Buttering: Evo
Street: Evo
Groomers: Equal

Their you go, take what you will from that.
The ply is a little stiffer and you will feel it, it will be more stable at high speeds and on jumps, also popping will be better on it.

A little extra stuff: The Evo has A FASTER base,, And can hold a lot more wax but is harder to repair. The Ply has a almost as fast base but needs to be waxed more, and way easier to repair.

Now remember, The Evo has Never Summers original: Camber Rocker Camber, profile, and DC has their Lock and Load Camber: Rocker Camber Rocker.

So yea, there cambers are opposite, Never Summer has designed theirs for stable at high speed with good pop. DC's is more Pop 12 feet in the air .

Also, DC has sponsored a lot of riders, they are a big company, they make quality boards.

Never Summer on the other hands, built themselves from the ground up, can you name one person the sponsor? No, because they want to make their own name, the are famous because their quality boards not their riders

Don't get me wrong I love DC and Never Summer, but its up too you
Remember 10% Equipment 90% Rider Don't over think it

But keep the questions coming I like helping out, I'm the kinda guy who researches an overly amount of time before buying a board. So anything I can do to help!

Inclosed some pictures incase you wanted to see what they looked like side by side, on the third picture you can clearly see the Ply is wider!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1-1.jpg (144.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg photo2.jpg (137.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.jpg (124.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
My pleasure.

Being 5'9 70kg and you wanna butter around I would say deffinatly go for the 153.

Now about the stiffness it's pretty hard to tell when you break it in
About buttering, the Ply could butter easy once you break it in, but the if you compared the two the Revolver would win. It's softer, but has carbon string laments stabilizers in the tip and tail, meaning it will never wash out on butters and you can lock them in real good.

I don't know if this will help but i will make a little chart to show you

Jumping: Ply
Jibbing: Evo
Bombing groomers: Ply
Deep pow: Ply
Buttering: Evo
Street: Evo
Groomers: Equal

Their you go, take what you will from that.
The ply is a little stiffer and you will feel it, it will be more stable at high speeds and on jumps, also popping will be better on it.

A little extra stuff: The Evo has A FASTER base,, And can hold a lot more wax but is harder to repair. The Ply has a almost as fast base but needs to be waxed more, and way easier to repair.

Now remember, The Evo has Never Summers original: Camber Rocker Camber, profile, and DC has their Lock and Load Camber: Rocker Camber Rocker.

So yea, there cambers are opposite, Never Summer has designed theirs for stable at high speed with good pop. DC's is more Pop 12 feet in the air .

Also, DC has sponsored a lot of riders, they are a big company, they make quality boards.

Never Summer on the other hands, built themselves from the ground up, can you name one person the sponsor? No, because they want to make their own name, the are famous because their quality boards not their riders

Don't get me wrong I love DC and Never Summer, but its up too you
Remember 10% Equipment 90% Rider Don't over think it

But keep the questions coming I like helping out, I'm the kinda guy who researches an overly amount of time before buying a board. So anything I can do to help!

Inclosed some pictures incase you wanted to see what they looked like side by side, on the third picture you can clearly see the Ply is wider!
I must say, I am leaning towards the Revolver a bit. (I assume all the comparisons you made there are true for the Revolver as well). I think the main factor is, I assume both boards CAN do the things the other can, just in some areas are better than others. Like when you said the Evo / Revolver maybe isn't the thing for big jumps, does that mean that it literally would not be worth even trying with it, or just that it's not ideal, and vice versa with the Ply being able to butter with just a bit more effort.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes my bad Evo=Revolver 😂

And of course Evo can spin triple corks off 100+ footers and still excel.
It's a very close comparison. It's just which one I would prefer too take Into the situation! Both of the boards are the best I've ever ridden! So either way you are gonna have a blast

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Tags
snowboard size park