Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Need your advice.... (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/140833-need-your-advice.html)

rcboxer 06-02-2014 04:09 PM

Need your advice....

I rode a 152 GNU street series last year. Its to small for me and did not have enough pop, so i am looking at getting a new board for this coming season. I'm 185 pounds with size 11 boots. I am decent rider, I play on fun boxes and some jumps and I do like buttering some and playfulness. I ride with my 3 boys most of the season in socal Bear mountain. They are 6,9, and 10 years old so im not bombing hills most of the time but I do when i get the chance :)

Anyhow im looking at getting maybe a GNU Riders Choice probably in a 157.5 or a Never Summer HD Proto. Not sure if I would need the Proto HDX with size 11 boots. And not sure what size proto to get 154 or 157.

Can anyone help me learn the difference between these boards? :) Before i spend my hard earned money lol

thanks in advance!!!!

camfong 06-02-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcboxer (Post 1724681)
I rode a 152 GNU street series last year. Its to small for me and did not have enough pop, so i am looking at getting a new board for this coming season. I'm 185 pounds with size 11 boots. I am decent rider, I play on fun boxes and some jumps and I do like buttering some and playfulness. I ride with my 3 boys most of the season in socal Bear mountain. They are 6,9, and 10 years old so im not bombing hills most of the time but I do when i get the chance :)

Anyhow im looking at getting maybe a GNU Riders Choice probably in a 157.5 or a Never Summer HD Proto. Not sure if I would need the Proto HDX with size 11 boots. And not sure what size proto to get 154 or 157.

Can anyone help me learn the difference between these boards? :) Before i spend my hard earned money lol

thanks in advance!!!!

DC Ply, Proto HD will suite u fine with ur feet, 11 1/2 + you wanna go HDX

readimag 06-02-2014 06:02 PM

Also look at Marhar throwback, arbor westmark, rome mod or mod rocker and solomon Time Machine.

I rode the gnu RC 157 and proto hdx 155 last year and still hated the mag on the gnu, I wish it came like smoking snowboards in a mellow mag. I really liked the new proto granted it was in 8 inches of fluff but the next day it was just as fun. Out of all my boards I ride the throwback the most cause it reminds me of my old blacklist. See if you can wait for some demo days if not get what you want and be happy.

collaboration 06-03-2014 01:09 AM

I don't think you will need a wide board. I'm 10.5 and rode Revolver before and it was too hard to turn, and I never had problem with drags on Evo.

rcboxer 06-03-2014 02:03 PM

At a 185 pounds the 157 proto hd will it still feel easy and quick turning? It says the effective edge is 125cm and the board i WAS riding was only 116. The riders choice 157 effective edge is at 120.

readimag 06-03-2014 06:15 PM

Look at it this way I was on a 155 then a 160 snowtrooper and it was just as easy to toss around the longer the more stable at speed it will be. Get some lessons and you will be fine on a 157 or don’t and give it a couple of days and you will adjust. You are over thinking it now, people can ride huge boards and can jib and butter the shit out of their board. It is 90% rider and 10% gear look at the ETT (signal boards) with the 2 x 4 edition.

rcboxer 06-03-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readimag (Post 1725674)
Look at it this way I was on a 155 then a 160 snowtrooper and it was just as easy to toss around the longer the more stable at speed it will be. Get some lessons and you will be fine on a 157 or donít and give it a couple of days and you will adjust. You are over thinking it now, people can ride huge boards and can jib and butter the shit out of their board. It is 90% rider and 10% gear look at the ETT (signal boards) with the 2 x 4 edition.

Sweet that's basically what I needed to hear. I just wanted to make sure bigger boards are still playful like that :) I'll go for the 157

Thanks!!!

The Chairman 06-03-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcboxer (Post 1724681)

thanks in advance!!!!

Hey RC,
You didn't say how tall you are :dunno:and I'm not sure how much of a difference sizing up just 2 cm is going to make for you. But, the 154 Proto will give you a little more effective edge than your 152 while still giving you a board that is quick edge to edge and easier to throw around and manipulate at slower speeds while playing around with your kids. For what you're doing and where you're riding the smaller length of a 154 might be the ticket. Plus with the additional rubber damping we put in our boards and the extra length it will be way more stable than what your on. The 157 obviously will be more stable for your occasional B-line down the mountain. Our Rocker/Camber profile will give you a lot of ollie pop for getting up on the boxes and boosting off a lip of a jump. Having this camber over the tail of the board really allows you to load it up and spring off the snow.

With a lower volume boot and some angles you wouldn't necessarily need the Proto HDX. Like another member said the a standard width Proto HD 154/157 will be a bit more nimble than the X. Personally, I don't like to ride with any overhang and mainly ride our mid-wides with a 10.5 boot. But, I'm an old school carver who really likes to dig into a turn. I still ride smaller, regular width boards when I want something that is easier to throw around and it's fun for gyrating short turns.

Let me know your height and I'll try to help a bit more with your size selection or better yet give me a call at the factory 303-320-1813.

readimag 06-03-2014 08:33 PM

^ great advice from a great man also gives good tours if you are around Denver, one of the main reasons I got a 155 hdx with a size 10 boot.

rcboxer 06-03-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chairman (Post 1725738)
Hey RC,
You didn't say how tall you are :dunno:and I'm not sure how much of a difference sizing up just 2 cm is going to make for you. But, the 154 Proto will give you a little more effective edge than your 152 while still giving you a board that is quick edge to edge and easier to throw around and manipulate at slower speeds while playing around with your kids. For what you're doing and where you're riding the smaller length of a 154 might be the ticket. Plus with the additional rubber damping we put in our boards and the extra length it will be way more stable than what your on. The 157 obviously will be more stable for your occasional B-line down the mountain. Our Rocker/Camber profile will give you a lot of ollie pop for getting up on the boxes and boosting off a lip of a jump. Having this camber over the tail of the board really allows you to load it up and spring off the snow.

With a lower volume boot and some angles you wouldn't necessarily need the Proto HDX. Like another member said the a standard width Proto HD 154/157 will be a bit more nimble than the X. Personally, I don't like to ride with any overhang and mainly ride our mid-wides with a 10.5 boot. But, I'm an old school carver who really likes to dig into a turn. I still ride smaller, regular width boards when I want something that is easier to throw around and it's fun for gyrating short turns.

Let me know your height and I'll try to help a bit more with your size selection or better yet give me a call at the factory 303-320-1813.

Thanks for the great reply!!! Sorry forgot to add my height. I'm at 5'11". I rode my friends 155 wide rome artifact rocker and I didn't like the feel of going heel to toe edge. Felt slow to me. However the hdx 155 did catch my attention. But maybe a wide board is something you can get use too?

Ya mainly I ride with my kids. They have fun playing in the halfpipe and the older one plays on fun boxes and stuff. Sometimes I will ride without them and get to have fun bombing down the hills. But mainly I hit the fun boxes, barrels small jumps and halfpipe on my way down.

Man I'm getting excited for winter and getting a new board!!! lol