Do I need to buy a powder board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do I need to buy a powder board?

I'm 6'1 185 lbs.

I bought a 157.5 Gnu Rider's Choice BTX this year and it's great on the groomers and is supposed to be good in the park (I'll know that after next weekend). But I have to travel over 1000 miles to ride and I haven't been lucky enough to hit any powder this year.

I'm going to New Zealand next summer for an 11 day guided snowboard tour that will include a day of heliboarding and a day of snow-cat boarding. I will likely have a chance to ride powder other days.

That'll be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for me and I was looking for advice. I plan on actually learning to ride in the powder there and want to minimize the learning curve and maximize my enjoyment time.

Is my 157.5 RC with the reverse rocker good enough for me to learn powder on?

With all the sales going on now I've been looking at either a Burton Malolo (if I can use my Salomon bindings on it) or a K2 Gyrator.

Any suggestions? And are any of you divorce attorneys that I can use if my wife finds out I bought yet another snowboard?
dave1billion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I would definitely go for a burly powder board.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

gyrator if its just between those two, for the second half pay cash keep it at a buddies house.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not wed to the idea of either of those boards, I'd just like to stick with a reverse camber board (although I know the rocker will be located differently from my RC).

Any suggestions for a board size for 185-190 lbs? The Gyrator comes in 162 and 168.
dave1billion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The thing with the Gyrator is that it doesn't have the float of a tapered board (since it's a twin). Also you have to ride it centered due the way the rocker is designed (or else you will die).

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
The thing with the Gyrator is that it doesn't have the float of a tapered board (since it's a twin). Also you have to ride it centered due the way the rocker is designed (or else you will die).
lol, he is being serious, okay maybe not serious about it resulting in death, but i have heard numerous times about k2s rocker absolutely rejecting a set back stance.

nice to have you and dawg back illegal, this place was boring without you guys...
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
lol, he is being serious, okay maybe not serious about it resulting in death, but i have heard numerous times about k2s rocker absolutely rejecting a set back stance.

nice to have you and dawg back illegal, this place was boring without you guys...
Word! Glad to have you two back!
v-verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

It might be hard to justify a new board purchase for a single trip, but if you think you'll have an opportunity to ride more powder further down the road it could be a good move. But I have to say that I don't think it's a huge advantage to have one unless it's DEEP. You can get through six inches on any board with a little practice, but once you get into the stuff where it's suddenly up to your knees the wrong board can ruin your day.

I have a Never Summer Summit, and it's incredible in the deep stuff whether it's untracked or all chopped up. But I also don't like to ride it on anything but a big powder day as its performance on anything firm isn't quite so hot, and those days only come around every once in a while for me so it spends a lot of time in the plastic. But I'm also a complete board whore so it's worth it to me.
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote