Help buying snowboarding gear - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help buying snowboarding gear

hey all,

I've had my first snowboarding season last year and I absolutely loved it. I rented all my gear then, but for this year thinking of getting my own.

Looking for some advice on the board, bindings and boots.

My 'stats':
60kg/132lbs,
163cm/5"4
beginner

looking for an all-rounder/all mountain board and bindings/boots to suit.

When I rented, they gave me a K2 150cm board. I wasn't sure of the model, looking through my gopro videos, it looked like this:

would've been nice to ID the board so I can look up how soft it was and its profile, but I realise from those pics its' probably not possible. I think it was a soft 'park' board.

I've done a bit of research and YES Basic 149 is at the top of my list at the moment. Do you think it would be OK to learn on? It has camber between the feet - do you think I'll have trouble turning? I do also want a board that will last me a while as I progress, if possible.

If this board is fine for me to go with, is anyone able to recommend bindings and boots to suit? I'm getting a little confused with the different stiffness levels and worried I will buy something that will not suit the board.

E.g. I saw a few recommendations for Burton Cartel, however from what I'm gathering it's on the 'stiff' side. As a beginner, is too stiff a binding going to cause problems? What about Burton Custom Re:Flex (Burton Custom Re Flex Review by The Good Ride) - is this a better option and will it suit the board?

Finally, my understanding is that the boot stiffness needs to match both the binding and the board, which leaves me a little lost.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated
zpedalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Buy good boots, and find a shop to demo some different boards. Different resorts also have demo boards to rent. Or buy the Yes Basic, it's a good board.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Go into a shop and get the boots that fit your feet properly.

The stiffer the setup, the less forgiving it will be.

Lastly, get rid of the GoPro. The universe is slowly running out of usable data storage, don't waste it with a beginner's pov gopro footage. Nobody wants to see that.
Tatanka Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the boots should be comfortable and fit well Any specific recommendations of the boots I should be looking at?

GoPro footage is for me and my family only; don't worry you won't be seeing any of it
Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpedalkin View Post
GoPro footage is for me and my family only; don't worry you won't be seeing any of it
That's not really the point. When newbs are holding a camera out, or focused on the shots their getting, they're not paying attention to what they're doing. Kind of like texting and driving. If I ever saw a 16yr old kid texting and driving, I would fucking rip them a new one. Ride safe, in control and not distracted. Cheers.

Your specs are kinda small, assuming you will grow into your boots, get a soft intermediate boot that is comfortable. Almost all brands will have an introductory boot and a better boot . Different shops will sell different brands. Go to a few shops and let them point you to the "good" boots and pick the one your most confident with. Nobody can tell you the right answer.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
That's not really the point. When newbs are holding a camera out, or focused on the shots their getting, they're not paying attention to what they're doing. Kind of like texting and driving. If I ever saw a 16yr old kid texting and driving, I would fucking rip them a new one. Ride safe, in control and not distracted. Cheers.
Going off-topic a little, but I'm not holding the camera out or focussed on the shots I'm getting. It's on my head and I don't remember it's there until I get home and look at the footage.

Let's focus on the issue at hand

Does the boot and the binding need to be 'matched' to the stiffness of the board?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpedalkin View Post
Does the boot and the binding need to be 'matched' to the stiffness of the board?
To a certain extent. It varies with experience and preference. I like a very stiff boot, but I tend to ride medium/stiff bindings. My boards are also medium/stiff, because I like them that way.

Back to the GoPro, have you asked your family about how they felt when they watched the videos? Have you thought about getting a drone? You should. Then you don't have to worry about anything at all. You can also spy on your neighbors with a drone. And attack fundamental christians at funerals. We are a community that is looking out for your best interest.
Tatanka Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Definitely spend some time on boots, you'll want to get to a shop and try on as many as possible, make sure you find something that fits perfectly and is comfortable. As far as bindings, the burton customs should be a pretty good binding for you, and if you do some searching pretty sure you can get this year's model for under $100. Definitely go for this year's model though, as they made some nice additions, mainly the Re:Flex disc. Another pretty good beginner/intermediate binding would be the K2 Indy, which can be had at a nice price as well, and if you're kind of a K2 fan you might like it.

As far as boards, heard a lot of good things about the K2 Raygun, as far as it being a good board for beginners but also something you can definitely grow into. Aside from that, I've had great luck with Rossignol boards lately, particularly the Taipan, which is a mid-flexing directional twin, pretty forgiving board. If you're looking for something more twin shaped/freestyle oriented, I really love my Flow Era, which is a pretty forgiving mostly rockered board with a nice medium flex.

Lots of deals out there now, so it's a great time to buy. Good luck,

Rob
vandy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Enough with the helmet cam hate, as long as they're not posting 30 min 1st person Youtube clips it's all good.

Who called the GoPro police
Manicmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka Head View Post
Back to the GoPro, have you asked your family about how they felt when they watched the videos? Have you thought about getting a drone? You should. Then you don't have to worry about anything at all. You can also spy on your neighbors with a drone. And attack fundamental christians at funerals. We are a community that is looking out for your best interest.
I don't want to sound rude, but what my family thought about my gopro footage doesn't concern you in the slightest. The rest of your message is pretty random. Please refrain from posting any further views on how I should use my gopro here, as it's not what I came here for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy16 View Post
Definitely spend some time on boots, you'll want to get to a shop and try on as many as possible, make sure you find something that fits perfectly and is comfortable. As far as bindings, the burton customs should be a pretty good binding for you, and if you do some searching pretty sure you can get this year's model for under $100. Definitely go for this year's model though, as they made some nice additions, mainly the Re:Flex disc. Another pretty good beginner/intermediate binding would be the K2 Indy, which can be had at a nice price as well, and if you're kind of a K2 fan you might like it.

As far as boards, heard a lot of good things about the K2 Raygun, as far as it being a good board for beginners but also something you can definitely grow into. Aside from that, I've had great luck with Rossignol boards lately, particularly the Taipan, which is a mid-flexing directional twin, pretty forgiving board. If you're looking for something more twin shaped/freestyle oriented, I really love my Flow Era, which is a pretty forgiving mostly rockered board with a nice medium flex.

Lots of deals out there now, so it's a great time to buy. Good luck,

Rob
This is very helpful - thanks Rob. Just had a quick look at K2 Raygun - looks pretty similar to YES Basic, except that it's flat between the feet as opposed to camber. Any idea what kind of differences I would expect due to this? Would I have more difficulty with camber? I like that the Raygun is also a twin, which means I'll be able to use it to learn switch at some point when I'm ready. I'll look into the other ones you mentioned also.