TBT vs. Magnetraction? Comparisons please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default TBT vs. Magnetraction? Comparisons please

Hi,

I've searched the threads on TBT, Magnetraction etc and didn't see a direct comparison - forgive me if I missed it.

So what are the benefits of each and if I have a Bataleon am I missing some element of control by not having a Magnetraction board?

Thanks in advance!
v-verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-verb View Post
Hi,

I've searched the threads on TBT, Magnetraction etc and didn't see a direct comparison - forgive me if I missed it.

So what are the benefits of each and if I have a Bataleon am I missing some element of control by not having a Magnetraction board?

Thanks in advance!
Believe it or not, people did snowboard before magnetraction
You'll be fine...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here is my take on both...

TBT makes snowboarding even more fun. Better carving going edge-to-edge, more stable on landings (huge plus when pulling sketchy spins), does fine on ice (not great), flat land tricks = awesome, and of course riding flat to speed connector trails.

Magne-Traction I have not personally rode but can safely assume there are no real big 'negatives', it really just helps the board carve on ice.

Mix Magne-Traction with Banana Tech, BTX, which i'll assume you meant as well adds pluses of the rocker design. There is enough on bananas around here that a quick search should solve your problem.

12+ years riding a plank down snow

Bataleon Evil Twin Review:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...evil-twin.html
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

MTX is hit or miss. Either people absolutely love it, or they absolutely hate it. I happen to be one that absolutely hates it. Sure, it makes riding on ice easier, but in CO, it's just not needed IMO and it changes the way the board carves. If I rode the Ice Coast, I'd be more inclined to want a board with MTX.

TBT has nothing to do with "traction" on ice.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ego

dark ninja - so is there a "better" or a "worse" one? it seems like everyone that rides gnu/lib-tech/k2 with banana tech says banana tech is better and everyone that rides bataleon says tbt is better. tbt providing better edge-to-edge control and more stable landings than a conventional snowboard design or better than banana tech w/magne traction?
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
alpha732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
dark ninja - so is there a "better" or a "worse" one? it seems like everyone that rides gnu/lib-tech/k2 with banana tech says banana tech is better and everyone that rides bataleon says tbt is better. tbt providing better edge-to-edge control and more stable landings than a conventional snowboard design or better than banana tech w/magne traction?
tbt is better than conventional, whether or not it's better than btx/rocker design is what's up for debate. Bataleon says they don't need a rocker due to tbt.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ego

so hows the edge-to-edge transfer as far as quickness and control with BTX?
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha732 View Post
tbt is better than conventional, whether or not it's better than btx/rocker design is what's up for debate. Bataleon says they don't need a rocker due to tbt.
I will bet that most people that have ridden BTX/MTX have never even heard of Bataleon let alone ridden one. I always pay attention to other people's boards when I'm out riding and have seen 1 Bataleon in the last 2 months.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Burton Avenger has ridden BTX & TBT too. Check out his reviews on this site.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
there is no "better" since they're completely different and have different purposes

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
alpha732

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
there is no "better" since they're completely different and have different purposes
that's not the best answer as it seems the op is looking to compare boards with tbt vs btx/mtx

one will be better than the other dependending on circumstances.