Board Sizing for Jones Flagship !!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Board Sizing for Jones Flagship !!!

Hi All,
I know some of you have a jones flagship from discussions in the forum. Very envious, as I am looking to get one for my self. Would you mind sharing some experiences about the board and it's characteristics? Especially how you came to sizing yourself for the board.

I am 49 yrs and weigh 85 kg and am 167 cm, I wear a size 10 US boots( 32 prime). I am not really that tall, but solid (my kids say I' m short and stubby).

I have looked at the sizing and have come to the conclusion that the 164 would suit my weight range( with backpack and ski gear added). But am leaning to the 163 W instead (take off a bit of length and add it to width). The intended use of the board would be for Free riding.

Has anyone had any problems with the flagship?
I really would appreciate your views and feedback.... Thanks guys

Last edited by Ricardo64; 06-30-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Ricardo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

164 would definitely be as big as I'd go and I definitely wouldn't get a wide. A wide board, especially one that big, is gonna ride pretty damn sluggish with size 10 boots. Honestly, I think 161 would be the better fit.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Can't provide advice personally, but I had considered this too, and am keen to hear some thoughts.

A friend who is about 180cm tall & 77kg has ~ 1,200-1,500 days snowboarding advised me against it purely for the fact I would ride better on something a bit more forgiving. But I'm looking for advice that says otherwise cause the board is that good - I'm looking for some justification haha. (Note, he said the board was his favourite, so it IS a good board)

That said, I'm boot size 12 and fit on a 159 board no problem, I would avoid wide decks at all cost unless there's no option. I think you'd be fine on anything 160-165 in length without needing a wide board.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
164 would definitely be as big as I'd go and I definitely wouldn't get a wide. A wide board, especially one that big, is gonna ride pretty damn sluggish with size 10 boots. Honestly, I think 161 would be the better fit.
So including gear( approx 15 kg and me 85 kg ) you would recommend a 161?

I now understand that the 163W would be sluggish, but feel the 164 might be a bit big considering I am only 167 myself
Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've been nearly that heavy myself on a 157. My powder board is a 164 and can be a bear to throw around in the trees sometimes. No way I'd want to ride that big of a board everyday. My old NS Heritage was a 160 and that was about perfect in terms of freeride sizing for me.

I never intended to be that heavy. Took a little adjusting to travelling so much for work. Had to cut back on the eating out.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Also, are you riding backcountry? If not, why in the world are you lugging around 15kg of gear?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, as much backcountry as I can afford. Some groomers. I want to be able to comfortably ride New Zealand club fields, backcountry and japan pow, and if I can ever get there to Canada.

I'm the type of person that will buy a board and hang onto it till falls to pieces
Old 07-01-2014, 05:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze182 View Post
A friend who is about 180cm tall & 77kg has ~ 1,200-1,500 days snowboarding advised me against it purely for the fact I would ride better on something a bit more forgiving. But I'm looking for advice that says otherwise cause the board is that good - I'm looking for some justification haha. (Note, he said the board was his favourite, so it IS a good board)
I feel your friend. It is a great board, it's my favourite deck even tho I rode different ones most of last season. Ever driven a 911 on an empty highway? That's the FS on good maintained wide groomers. Stable as can be, fast, responsive, predictable, pure joy. Ever driven a 911 on a bumpy wood-track...?
I only recommend the board to ppl who realy are looking for such a specialized deck, e.g. as part of a quiver, for the pow days in deep and steep, and the days when groomers are great all day for aggressive carving and straightlining just for the fun of it. Know what you get... don't complain afterwards that it's too unforgiving in crud and not playful. You'll buy a kitchen door, which is great sometimes, and sometimes not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo64 View Post
Has anyone had any problems with the flagship?
I really would appreciate your views and feedback.... Thanks guys
I'm 55kg, on a 158. Float in pow is great even on flats Problems I've had: no real problems, just the observation, that it is better than everything else I've ridden in appropriate conditions as well as PITA in bumps. As long as you have a backup for the springtime moguls or days when the resorts is very crowded and you just want to cruise, you're fine.
Quality is great, base is very resistant, wooden topsheet as well (talking '13 model).
Hubby is 182cm and your weight, has the Carbon FS in 164 and is very happy with it "I've been looking 20y for such a board" (so happy that I didn't have the chance to try the board for one turn, he won't hand it over one second). Problems he's encountered: pretty much the same; on bumpy afternoons he swaps to his comparable soft n forgiving Raptor. It's not a specific Carbon FS issue, he observed the same when riding my wooden one.
Good float with full BC equipment in deep pow. Thus the 164 would certainly be long enough for you. If you're used to shorter ones, won't hit very high speeds, won't rail high speed carves, won't hit deep pow, a 161 would probably do as well. But if you're used to ride boards that lenght, I see no need to size down.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 07-01-2014 at 05:39 AM.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you want something to ride in a freeride manor, why not get the hovercraft? I personally think whatever size you got you would learn to enjoy, but after converting your height in 'merica standards, which was 5'4, a 164 is huge. You might have mass, but with rocker in the nose, you don't need something that is the same height as you are. There will be days that a board that big won't be fun. Snapping turns in pow is an amazing feeling, get yourself a board that you can play on, don't worry about the length(too much), it will float.

Last edited by ridinbend; 07-01-2014 at 06:59 AM.
ridinbend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
If you want something to ride in a freeride manor, why not get the hovercraft?
IMO, the Hovy is no fun to carve groomers compared to FS.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote