Help me find a more playful board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cold Feet

Default Help me find a more playful board

Well guys (and girls?) this is my first post, though I have gleaned tons of great advice from all of you this season. So for that, I thank you all!

I've been snowboarding for about 10 years, mostly in the "steep and deep" camp. Most of my riding involves carving bowls, tree riding, bombing hills, and finding as much powder as possible. Recently I have the desire to do more than just bomb hills. Not riding park, rails, or halfpipe mind you, but just taking more advantage of the natural terrain. I want to learn how to butter, do more ollies, ride more fakie, and just infuse a little more fun into my riding. The problem is, I'm having a hell of a time doing this with my regular board, a LibTech T.Rice 162 MTX. For high speed runs and powder, it absolutely kills. But when I want to be a little more playful, it just wants to be manhandled.

I am 6'2" and 190 lbs. with a size 11 boot. I'm keeping my T.Rice for the deep days, but I would like some recommendations for a board that is a bit more playful. I'm not against trying some of the new reverse camber technologies, or TBT, or whatever. I've looked at boards like the SL-R, and some of the Bataleon stuff, but I'm new to a lot of this technology. My previous requirements were always "fast and stiff", so I've never really considered anything else. Mind you, I'm not looking for a wet noodle of a board either. I still want some stability when I decide to go for some deep carves.

The budget is really not an object, but due to past experiences, I'm not an enormous fan of Burton boards and bindings.

So, let's hear it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Stepchild Powder Sucks!

Its a great all around fun board. Cheap too, so you don't go dropping big coin on a secondary dick-around stick. Also, don't be afraid to go small like a 153 or something for a board like this.

I just can't seem to shake the shackles of the City boy Blues
$Lindz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cold Feet

Never heard of Stepchild. I'll definitely look into that one. Don't know about a 153 though. Anything under a 159 just seems to lose it's edge for me.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
kMc

I think 153 seems a bit small since youre not going into the park and will just be on natural terrain. i have a never summer infinity-r, the girls version of the sl-r, and i absolutely love it. i ride it all mountain and it does great everywhere. you also cant beat the 3 year warranty.
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would check out the Lib Skate Banana 159, I'm 6' 190 and thats my do everything board. It is fairly stiff but still butters very easily. Its a really fun board in the park or out of it.
WhoaNelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cold Feet

Tried a friends skate banana and it had a bit too much chatter for me at speed. It was last years model though. Have they improved this for the 09 model?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaNelly View Post
I would check out the Lib Skate Banana 159, I'm 6' 190 and thats my do everything board. It is fairly stiff but still butters very easily. Its a really fun board in the park or out of it.
it sounds like he wants a skate banana to me too......it would probably turn into your powder board as well..
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

i have not rode last years model but i ride the 09 model and i have not felt any chatter at any speed. the banana rips at all speeds and i love the board.
dcoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cold Feet

Any thoughts on the Bataleon Riot?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
alpha732

look at the hero (I highly recommend it), bataleons, and the sl-r.

The hero is extremely playful due to the rockers, however it is also extremely stable at speed and can carve very well, also has a fast base. For some perspective I've also ridden a custom x, custom, salomon sanchez, nitro misfit, some cheap morrow, and a handful of other cheap older burtons. The hero comes close to the custom x in terms of edge hold, flat boarding/sheer speed, and carving on ice/hard pack (I'm assuming due to the pde) however popping butters, nollies to butters and presses etc could not be easier.

and you can get it on porters for $215, can't beat that price.

Last edited by alpha732; 03-04-2009 at 01:57 PM.