Burton 14' Nug or 15' Nug or 14' Custom restricted (all Flying V) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton 14' Nug or 15' Nug or 14' Custom restricted (all Flying V)

Hey Guys

New member and my first post

Just about to buy a new board and thought i'd ask for some advice on which of the following board

2014 Burton Nug Flying V 146 or
2015 Burton Nug Flying V 146 or
2014 Custom Restricted Flying V 156

this will be my primary board
Experienced rider
I am ~180 pounds

I try to bit of powder in Japan every two years or so but unfortunately there's not much here Downunder.

Is there any difference between the two Nugs except for one has a horrible design on it

Any help would be appreciated
jamerbuske is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 04:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Be wary of your boot size, the restricted Custom 156 has a 246 or 248 waist width. Take a poke about and search for Niveks review on the 2014 Custom FV... The restricted is a twinned out slightly narrower version of that board.
ItchEtrigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have a 2014 burton nug 142 (I'm 170lb 5'10). And to be honest it's a terrible powder board (I was in about 1' of powder last time I used it). I've read the reviews saying that the nug works in powder, however the fact is that all boards will float in powder if you lean back enough. With the nug you need to constantly force yourself to lean back. Also, if you go off any cliff higher then 3' and land in powder, when you land the board just sinks and your nose sink too much and you will go over the handle bars and tumble. However the biggest annoyance I had with the nug is that when you are pushing your self the the chair lift, because there is so little from the front of your binding to the nose of the board. Sometimes when you are pushing your self along, you will just flip your self over and look dumb.

Will I use the nug again. Yes, it is a fun board. However I will never use it for powder.
roboelmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have the 2015 burton flying v nug 146 and it's fun as hell. I rode it with 6 inch powder (no leaning back) and rode it on hard pack and it handled it fine. It's fun and nimble yet stable at higher speeds. After getting it at a burton sample sale last season, it's my go to board for now.

The edge hold on hard pack isn't as good as a gnu/lib or never summer board but it can will be ok.
ekb18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

the '15 Nugs are a hair wider than the '14 (254 vs 251), and with a slightly larger radius as well (5.9 vs 5.88), but the same effective edge and sidecut depth.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote