Possible Consequences for using a snowboard smaller than recommended size? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Possible Consequences for using a snowboard smaller than recommended size?

Hello Guys,

Question for you that I was unable to search properly in this forum but am curious about... What are the possible Consequences for using a snowboard smaller than the recommended size?

Basically I am 6'1 - 220~230Lbs and ride a LibTech Attack Banana 159W (I got crazy into snowboarding 3 years ago and since then I would say I am maybe past Beginner and can comfortably ride any Blue run and some Black Diamond as long as not too many moguls without falling)

Anyways any possible things you guys can think of that would be more difficult for me if you could let me know that would be awesome!

Thanks.
Gelaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Been boarding about as long as you have, so don't take anything I say as expert advice. However, 2 of the 3 boards I ride are technically pretty undersized for me at my weight! I ended the season at about 235-240lbs. buck nekkid! (...I apologize for that mental image!) So geared up I was likely in the 245-255 range riding a 159 & 157cm board. (The 157 is a blunted tip NS proto CT which is supposed to ride same as a 159.)

You could probably expect a too short deck to feel softer & flex more than one in the correct range. It would certainly feel softer relatively than the mfr's stated flex rating. Which could help to make butters and presses, easier or more difficult depending!

Also, I probably wouldn't be using a vastly undersized board for trying to get any big air! I read about guys busting appropriately sized boards hitting Big Kickers somewhat regularly on this forum. So I would think going too small and trying big jumps wouldn't be a smart idea! (...for your safety or the boards!)

Aside from that, and maybe losing some ability to float if it gets really deep? I didn't find too much in the way of disadvantages in so far as just cruzing & bombing the groomers! If the board was really soft to begin with, it might flex too much and wash out as you chatter thru any really hard/tight turns at speed!

Ultimately, unless you have a very specific reason for, and can identify the riding/terrain handling advantages you're hoping to get by going a lot shorter? You are generally better off staying at least close to being within the weight range for your deck. But unless you are so big you will snap it in two just by strapping in? I'm not sure it's worth worrying about too much!

I'll be curious to read any additional replies to your question! Especially any in rebuttal!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 07-03-2014 at 12:50 PM.
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That board isn't terribly undersized for you. Plenty of guys your size on similarly sized boards. It might suck if it was a soft noodle of a board, but it's not.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
That board isn't terribly undersized for you. Plenty of guys your size on similarly sized boards....
I was going to add the same comment in my edit, but I saw Linville beat me to it!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yeah, I am not looking to go off any L+ jumps any time soon, I more love joy riding and bombing down groomers for the most part.

I found one thing that was maybe more difficult that it should have been was floating in lots of pow when there is a good 10 inches of fresh overnight snow or maybe because i hadn't ridden in that much snow in prior but when i leaned back unless i was going significantly fast my board wanted to wiggle around a lot and eventually caught an edge or 2 (probably due to newbieness more than anything i imagine)

I haven't felt anything extreme due to my fat ass on this board yet, pretty happy with it, night and day difference from the first one i got off a friend that was a 08' Capita Black Snowboard of Death 158... i fell of that one sooooo many times it was terrible just balancing on it was difficult, felt like all it wanted to do was go straight down and my confidence at that time was lacking.

Thanks for your responses guys!
Gelaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I remember going to the mountain and every mile leading to it was marked with a crucified boarder who had a board too short. Or maybe that was a dream after watching an episode of GoT. I hate when I wake up and can't decide reality from dream.
f00bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

POW is definitely totally different feel to ride! The absolute Best as a matter of fact! I've only had a couple of 12-16+ in. MI. brand of POW days under my belt, but they came after I had a couple seasons experience and I was pretty comfortable/confident riding the groomers here.

Once I adjusted for having to shift my weight back for float & steering, I didn't find the shorter boards to be any big disadvantage! (...of course we're not talking tit's deep POW here either!)

What you described may well be just a "NooB," ...lack of experience type issue! The more you ride it, the "Awsomer" it is gonna feel!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
Old 07-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
Been boarding about as long as you have, so don't take anything I say as expert advice. However, 2 of the 3 boards I ride are technically pretty undersized for me at my weight! I ended the season at about 235-240lbs. buck nekkid! (...I apologize for that mental image!) So geared up I was likely in the 245-255 range riding a 159 & 157cm board. (The 157 is a blunted tip NS proto CT which is supposed to ride same as a 159.)

You could probably expect a too short deck to feel softer & flex more than one in the correct range. It would certainly feel softer relatively than the mfr's stated flex rating. Which could help to make butters and presses, easier or more difficult depending!

Also, I probably wouldn't be using a vastly undersized board for trying to get any big air! I read about guys busting appropriately sized boards hitting Big Kickers somewhat regularly on this forum. So I would think going too small and trying big jumps wouldn't be a smart idea! (...for your safety or the boards!)

Aside from that, and maybe losing some ability to float if it gets really deep? I didn't find too much in the way of disadvantages in so far as just cruzing & bombing the groomers! If the board was really soft to begin with, it might flex too much and wash out as you chatter thru any really hard/tight turns at speed!

Ultimately, unless you have a very specific reason for, and can identify the riding/terrain handling advantages you're hoping to get by going a lot shorter? You are generally better off staying at least close to being within the weight range for your deck. But unless you are so big you will snap it in two just by strapping in? I'm not sure it's worth worrying about too much!

I'll be curious to read any additional replies to your question! Especially any in rebuttal!
In addition to these, would edge hold be compromised? Carves turn into scarves or skidded turns and more washouts perhaps?
Old 07-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Be very careful of explosions
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
In addition to these, would edge hold be compromised? Carves turn into scarves or skidded turns and more washouts perhaps?
If it's a pretty soft board to begin with? Yeah! Probably. Of course, good technique can overcome some of that. I achieved a lot more confidence in my riding and ability to handle more speed this last season. With having put on 10-15 lbs. and charging harder/faster on my shorter decks,... I did notice more chatter & I was washing out a bit more on some of the harder/faster, turns at speed. Might have been me and my technique. Then again, some of it could maybe have been attributed to too much "me" on "not enough board!" (Gotta go on a diet when I get my back fixed!) lol

But as has been mentioned,.. The OP is probably not that far over for that board. I am now, a fair bit overweight for mine! I don't think you'll find it to be a problem! ...but if you do? Look to your riding technique first! Not the board. (It usually works out that it's the rider who's the problem anywhoo!!)

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15