New snowboard help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New snowboard help

Hey guys, I am pretty new to this forum and it is an absolutely wonderful one to gain that much info on snowboarding.

So, me and my girlfriend are both getting away from the rentals and going for our first new snowboards, I read a lot of stuff on the sizing, but still can not really decide what size to get for myself, it's much easier for a girl she's 5'3 105lbs so we gonna go with 145 size board. But when it comes to me I am 6'2 around 180lbs and my feet size is 11.5, so I am pretty much lost between wide or not boards. Which one's would you think would be better size and wide wise for me?

some examples I was looking at:
Ride Crook Snowboard 2014
Rossignol Taipan Amptek Snowboard 2014
K2 Raygun Snowboard 2014
Rome Reverb Rocker Snowboard 2014

Appreciate the help a lot guys!
ziggyJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey welcome, In my opinion the best thing to do in this case is to go to a local Snowboard shop that sells SNOWBOARDS mainly and get them to set you guys up, or even visiting a few different actual shops and going from there. It would be a great way to get good beginner set up advise and also ask a lot of questions. Supporting your local Snowboard shop is a good thing to do though they may be a bit spendy compared to internet bargain sites, it would be a good idea IMO..... Good Luck and have fun!
Northriver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome!

I'm 6'4" and 190lbs and ride around the 161-163 size. My boots are about 11.5 too and I go for a wide board so my toes and heels don't drag.

Depends on your setup though, some boots have a smaller profile and boards vary in width. Your stance also affects whether you overhang or not. I read that it takes a lot of overhang for it to matter and maybe others can give better guidance here...

What type of riding do you do? That will affect which boards you should look at.
Manicmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks you so much for you help, I would still appreciate some help with the snowboard sizing, because the only thing that is basically getting in my way of buying one is the width.

Manicmouse: Thanks man, what I mostly do is flow down the mountains, so all mountain snowboards would work for me, adding that I am looking forward to trying some tricks too, so in the end all mountain/freestyle somewhere between these two would be perfect.

Last edited by ziggyJu; 07-06-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd gather as much info as you can off this forum as around 90% of snowboarding shop staff have no idea what they are talking about. I've been told "you should get the same board as mine, it's sick" as well as "pick a colour that you like and go from there"
oldmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Gottcha guys, so my one question still remains wide or no for 11.5? I don't want to be very grounded on the board, I want to still have the possibility of spins and stuff.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyJu View Post
Gottcha guys, so my one question still remains wide or no for 11.5? I don't want to be very grounded on the board, I want to still have the possibility of spins and stuff.
As Manicmouse pointed out your stance will help decide this, do you know what you set your bindings to?

A lot will depend on the board if you need a wide or not. The waist width and side cut radius will play a part as well and what kind of boots your wearing.

Where are you riding mainly? This will also help people here suggest other board options you have. As far as the boards you listed it looks like you could get away without going wide on the Rome if you got the 160, the rest I would suggest wide.
Simon Birch is online now   Reply With Quote