Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   New all mountain board ?????? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/142258-new-all-mountain-board.html)

Westyballs 07-07-2014 03:57 AM

New all mountain board ??????

Hi All,

I am in the market for a new snowboard. I am an intermediate rider and my mate just purchased the K2 turbo dream and he loves it. I want something with maximum stability it the choppy stuff that carves well and is very forgiving. I am not interested in the park just carving down the mountains. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated

neni 07-07-2014 05:03 AM

Define "forgiving" :). The better you describe what you're looking for, the more usful the responses...
e.g. what board have you used before, what did you like/dislike, any shape you prefer/dislike (camber, RCR, CRC,...), preference in terms of flex?

hightyme 07-07-2014 07:36 AM

Rome

Rome Tour - great beginner to advanced board, very catch-free
Multi-sidecut in the QuickRip for short and long contact points; decent edge hold
mid-soft; easily absorbs uneven terrain

K2 Parkstar - Awesome all-mountain board, little less catch-free with 80% flat
Good edge hold with the flat board
May feel uneven terrain a tad more, but fun poppy board.

kosmoz 07-07-2014 08:22 AM

good for carving and very forgiving doesn't go together, and why do you want forgiving board, if you are an intermediate rider? Or do you call anyone intermediate, who doesn't faceplant on greens?

neni 07-07-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kosmoz (Post 1745010)
good for carving and very forgiving doesn't go together

It was my first thought as well but reading it again I assumed that he didn't mean actually "carving" but rather "make turns"...?
However, there are boards (e.g. NS Raptor, Burton Custom X) which carve very well and are rather forgiving, but they are only forgiving compared to other stiff as hell carving planks, and I thought that's still not what OP is looking for :dunno:

td.1000 07-07-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neni (Post 1744962)
Define "forgiving" :).

what she said. do you mean a board that's less catchy-edgy? or something that bends on landings and doesn't throw you around i.e. softer? or both? or maybe just something that's more stable at high speeds. for the last one you want a stiffer board, and we usually don't call that "forgiving."

Quote:

Originally Posted by kosmoz (Post 1745010)
and why do you want forgiving board, if you are an intermediate rider?

depending on how you like to ride, sometimes a more forgiving board will be more fun (and it mixes better with beer). it's not because you're a good rider that you necessarily want all your runs to be super technical.

hightyme 07-07-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td.1000 (Post 1745066)
sometimes a more forgiving board will be more fun (and it mixes better with beer)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kosmoz 07-07-2014 11:05 AM

But you can high five yourself everytime you dont faceplant with that technical board :D I personaly dont go snowboarding after more than two beers, cuz insurance wont pay anything and it can get veeeery expensive (I snowboard abroad) :)

linvillegorge 07-07-2014 12:54 PM

Very damp, very forgiving, and carves well?

Sounds like a NS SL to me. I think they changed the name to the Storm Trooper or something like that now.

Nivek 07-07-2014 01:12 PM

Finding a board that lays trenches but won't buck you is doable. Finding a board that powers through crud and won't buck you, near impossible.

OP, do you want something forgiving to progress your general riding on, or something mean and aggressive so you can ride over small critters and children? You can't have both.