New Board - Camber!? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board - Camber!?

Hey guys,

I bought my first board the day after the first time I ever went snowboarding, so pretty much just looked for the cheapest one they had in pink and called it a day. It's been about 7 years, so a new board's pretty overdue. I'm a bit more advanced now so I want to get a decent board appropriate for my riding style. I did a little research and I know what I want out of a board, but my head is spinning over all the camber choices. I know you'd all probably suggest demoing some boards, but I was tryna buy one now/online/off season to get a good deal, so maybe some of you could just share your own preferences for me to ponder?

My style: I try to bomb as much as possible, don't really venture into the park much, but like to hit jumps when I can.
stroobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroobie View Post
I did a little research and I know what I want out of a board.
let's hear it!

when you say "bomb as much as possible" then yes, you should probably stick to a regular camber. unless you're planning to spend a lot of time on deep powder that is.

and does "not much park" mean "nope, not at all, I don't like it, not interested" or "it looks kind of fun, I might try it every now and then." also, staying out of the park does not always mean you don't/wouldn't like to throw/learn a trick every now and then.
td.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

What sort of conditions do you ride in? Need something for powder or groomers or both?

There are great hybrid rockers out there, otherwise known as CRC, which are good at both. This is a good choice if you want a single board that works in all conditions.
Manicmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by td.1000 View Post
when you say "bomb as much as possible" then yes, you should probably stick to a regular camber. unless you're planning to spend a lot of time on deep powder that is.
Yeah exactly, for bombing groomers, there's nothing really like a good cambered, stiffer, longer board. If the OP rides any powder at all, then a lifted nose is good. Burton Landlord comes to mind as an example of the base profile I'm talking about.

Where do you ride Stroobie?
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmouse View Post

There are great hybrid rockers out there, otherwise known as CRC, which are good at both. This is a good choice if you want a single board that works in all conditions.
Or RCR

For me it's either pure camber or RCR (better performance in pow). Don't like the loose feel of rocker/CRC for bombing groomers. Camber under feet is more precise for that purpose IMO. Mothership is quite a nice board if you like to ride fast and hit pow.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey thanks everyone.

I ride primarily in the Poconos, so not a lot of powder () these days. But I make it up north once in a while where the conditions are a bit better.

You can rule out rails and pipes, I pretty much just wanna go fast and catch some air.
stroobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Comes down to personal preference. You can bomb every bit as fast on a CRC board as you can a pure camber board they just feel a lot different. CRC will have a looser, more skatey feel to it while camber will feel more locked in. Neither is necessarily better, just different. IMO, everything camber can do RCR can do better. Has all the edge hold of camber with none of the catchiness. If you have liked camber in the past and want a similar feel, go RCR.

By the way, CRC = camber outside of the inserts with rocker between the feet while RCR = rocker outside of the inserts and camber between the feet.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Or RCR

For me it's either pure camber or RCR (better performance in pow). Don't like the loose feel of rocker/CRC for bombing groomers. Camber under feet is more precise for that purpose IMO. Mothership is quite a nice board if you like to ride fast and hit pow.
I ride the NS Cobra (CRC) and it is soo floaty. Took a few runs to get used to it on the groomed runs but I'm very happy with it

Personal preference I guess and I haven't ridden enough boards to write off any particular hybrid design!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmouse View Post
I ride the NS Cobra (CRC) and it is soo floaty. Took a few runs to get used to it on the groomed runs but I'm very happy with it
Ups, sorry if I was imprecise... didnít meant to say that RCR is floatier than CRC, meant that RCR is floatier than pure camber

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Ups, sorry if I was imprecise... didnít meant to say that RCR is floatier than CRC, meant that RCR is floatier than pure camber
Oh lol that makes more sense, did I just read it wrong