Brand new to the sport - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Truteno

Default Brand new to the sport

started snowboarding the beginning of the winter with my girlfriend and have fell in love with the sport. looking to buy my own equipment so not going too crazy into higher priced equipment. i just wanna make sure i'm heading in the right direction

My specs: 125 pounds, 5' 7 1/2", 10-10.5 shoe size(also what size should i look at for boots?), and have only snowboarded for 5 days.

looking for an all mountain board to get me started and might hit the terrain park maybe next winter. Board size around 151cm because of my weight and height. Found some things on The House but gonna go to my local board shop to really try out everything. Here's what i found.

could probably get a better deal at my local shop but just making sure im heading in the right direction.

Last edited by Truteno; 03-04-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mpagano9

You will be paying out the nose at any shop. The most economic way it to try the boots on in a shop, then go online and just google shop for your gear. I bought my boots/bindings/board all for 50 bucks less than just my board would have been from the shop. I saved roughly 50% off the total cost by shopping around online.

151 sounds a little long for your weight, but I am not the best judge of board length. I can't see the pic or link you posted with the items you were consdiering, so that's all I can offer.

Oh, and boot sizes typically run the same as your shoe size. There are some good resources on this forum and online with advice on how to shop for and fit your boots.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

It will work if you are only going to be an occasional snowboarder (5 days per year) but If you are going to get into it like boarding once/week you will progress out of that setup fairly quickly. #1 thing you should focus on is your boots. Spend the extra money, if you need to, on a a pair of well fitting and comfortable boots. Unhappy feet will ruin your day. Once you get the basics down and know what type of riding you are going to do mostly then you can upgrade into a more ride specific setup.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Truteno

thanks man and would it be that much of a difference in price in a shop?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truteno View Post
thanks man and would it be that much of a difference in price in a shop?
Do your research. I try to buy from a local shop whenever I can but I'm in Canada so shop prices around here can get pretty out of hand compared to prices it the U.S. for the same gear.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Truteno

ouch sounds harsh man(the prices in canada part) and right now i can only go for a few times a year, dont have that money backing me in order to get a season pass(might get a new job soon so could change) and im about an hour and a half away from hunter and bellearye in ny and also dont know a lot of people who snowboard. yeah and i'd probably foot more for boots, im using my gfs fathers stuff and its fine but boots are a tad big and it destroyed my ankles and the top of my foot.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

I highly suggest buying your stuff online especially if you're on a tight budget. and Lamar is crap, don't get it
mijinkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Truteno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijinkal View Post
I highly suggest buying your stuff online especially if you're on a tight budget. and Lamar is crap, don't get it
im on a hugely tight budget and need to buy cheap stuff lol
Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
untchabl

Highly recommend going to a local shop to try on boots. Try on every pair that you like the looks of and see which is most comfortable. Then you can look around online for that exact boot in the exact size you need. Definitely spend the time to figure out the best boot for you.

As far as a board goes, check around online and I bet you can find a much better board for about the same price as that Lamar. Evo Gear has the Capita Scaremaster for about $125 shipped, if you check their outlet section and enter "25off" as a coupon code. Plus check the local shops, you never know what you'll find on sale there. I bought my 09 Lib Tech Dark Series for $199!! at a local Board Paradise store (although there are none local to you and alot of people have had bad experiences purchasing from them online). It's a $600 board at most places but I just happened to stop in there to check some other stuff out and there it was.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Truteno

yeah i might stop by my local shop today and check out boots but what am i exactly looking for with fit wise?