Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   How to Protect Snowboard Edges? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/142346-how-protect-snowboard-edges.html)

Ravaging Rami 07-08-2014 10:56 PM

How to Protect Snowboard Edges?

My father and I bought boards in April and we were waxing them last week when we noticed some tarnishing on the metal edges of the board. We've always stored them in a dehumidified unfinished part of our basement. Is this normal? Or is there something we can do to prevent rust/tarnish?

chomps1211 07-08-2014 11:08 PM

Gummi stone.

Or, leave it be until your first few runs of the season. That will usually rub it off as long as it's only a little surface rust. It's pretty normal after storing and is usually no big deal. Also, leaving them sealed/zipped up in a board bag during the off season seems to cause a bit more of that to appear on your edges.

Lamps 07-08-2014 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravaging Rami (Post 1746042)
My father and I bought boards in April and we were waxing them last week when we noticed some tarnishing on the metal edges of the board. We've always stored them in a dehumidified unfinished part of our basement. Is this normal? Or is there something we can do to prevent rust/tarnish?

Options:

1). You can buy boards with stainless edges

2). You can put a little wax on the edges in the off season if the edges are not stainless, this will prevent rust.

3). You can ignore the rust/oxidation, it's a cosmetic issue, no effect on performance.

I recommend #1, or #3, unless you're a real DIY type, then go with #2.

Manicmouse 07-08-2014 11:23 PM

Any recommendations for permanently protecting the edges from rust for boards on display?

I can probably find some sort of clear spray...

Snowster 07-09-2014 12:16 AM

To the guy above. I believe wd40 sells a rust inhibitor for long term use. To op. During the season I wipe the edges and bindings of my board down with a towel and when I have to sharpen them I use scotch bright to just clean off stubborn rust. General if you dry it and a quick wax before any storage you have nothing to worry about.

snowklinger 07-09-2014 04:37 AM

slop wax over the sides when u lay on the summer coat.

neni 07-09-2014 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 1746058)
Options:

1). You can buy boards with stainless edges

2). You can put a little wax on the edges in the off season if the edges are not stainless, this will prevent rust.

3). You can ignore the rust/oxidation, it's a cosmetic issue, no effect on performance.

I recommend #1, or #3, unless you're a real DIY type, then go with #2.

What he said, word by word :thumbsup:

ItchEtrigR 07-09-2014 08:00 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much, best you can hope for is to keep your board dry in the off season. It makes no difference whether you decide to polish your edges or not.