K2 Lunatique vs Ride Compact vs Rome Vinyl - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking K2 Lunatique vs Ride Compact vs Rome Vinyl

Hi, I decided to step up from renting equipment and finally buy some of my own. I've been researching and have narrowed my options for boards down to three, but I can't decide which will be best for me and would appreciate some advice. I'm 5'5'' and 133 lbs. The rental company gave me boards based on height so I always thought I was a 145 but through research I've discovered my weight should be the larger determinent. I'm probably still considered a beginner but I'm picking up fast and I want a board that will grow with me so I don't have to repurchase as soon as I'm bored with my board.

Based on research, I've narrowed the boards down to the K2 Lunatique, the Ride Compact, and the Rome Vinyl. I'm leaning towards the Ride Compact because it's a twin and I like to ride switch as much as regular but I'm not sure if I wouldn't prefer more than just a low rize rocker to avoid catching edges, particularly since I'm still new (also, the Compact has poor reviews on ice.)

Also, I'm confused by the difference between what the rental company gave me and what the spec sizes say on the board websites. According to Ride Compact, because I'm more than 125 lbs, I should ride a 150. The Vinyl sets me at 151, and I unfortunately can't find size specs for K2 Lunatique. That seems large; I would have guessed a 147 for myself per general size charts I'm finding but I wonder of the weight of the particular boards I'm looking at is why I'm hitting larger than 147.

Of the three, which is a better all-mountain snowboard for a 5'5", 133 lb girl still learning but advancing? And is a 150/151 insane or just right? I measured and this brings the board up to my nose.

Also, what is the best rear-entry binding? I've looked at Roxy Rock-Its, GNU B-Trues, and various Flows. Roxys seems to have the highest rating in reviews so far.

Any and all advice is very much appreciated, even up to recommending a better board or bindings!
whiterabbit421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gnu B Nice would be good to consider, I got my 14 yr old daughter one and it seems like a great beginner-intermediate board.
Northriver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Of the 3 you picked probably the Vinyl would be the best all mountain that you can progress with. The compact is a park deck i think and the k2 is a beginner board i think. I would probably try to get it in a rocker and not camber though. This will make it easier to learn/progress on since it will be stiffer then the rental boards.

For size, a 150 isn't crazy for your weight but you could drop as low as a 147 and be ok. I know girls that are around your weight who ride any where from a 147 to 152 for all meowntain.

Rome Vinyl Rocker Snowboard - Women's 2013 | evo outlet

Ride baretta might be a good choice since it has some setback and a rockered nose. Unless you really want a true twin, which you generally only need if you are riding a large percentage switch, other wise some set back is nice.

Ride Baretta Snowboard - Women's 2013 | evo outlet

Ride Baretta Snowboard - Women's | Dogfunk.com
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

The Vinyl is a camber board, perhaps not the best beginner to intermediate choice.
Of their lineup look into the Romp or Heist.

For Romp your just in for the 147 (95-135lbs) or 150 (105-150lbs)
The Heist puts you in a 146 (95-140lbs) or 150 (105-155lbs)

The Romp features their No Hang-Ups Rockers (Flat to 3D concave Rocker)
very catch free

The Heist has their Mountain Pop Rocker (Camber-Rocker-Camber)

Last edited by hightyme; 07-11-2014 at 08:57 AM.
hightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Talking

Thank you, everyone; I really appreciate the advice! After reading the above, I definitely realized I should lean towards a Rome and once I looked at the specs I decided that the Rome Romp is the best fit for me. Thank you!
whiterabbit421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

For what it's worth, my wife started on a K2 Luna (the predecessor to the Lunatique). It was fully cambered, and medium stiffness. She loved the board for the first two years, and now has gone up to a longer mostly cambered board (with an early rise nose) and has become an excellent snowboarder...

Never write off camber!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Everyone write off camber!!!!!!! You'er a dinosaur pout!!!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit421 View Post
I'm probably still considered a beginner but I'm picking up fast and I want a board that will grow with me so I don't have to repurchase as soon as I'm bored with my board.
And is a 150/151 insane or just right? I measured and this brings the board up to my nose.

Can't help you with the board selection, as I know none of your list, just some general thoughts:

If you want to go for the shorter or bigger option, depends on you preferences, how fast you'll progress and in which direction. A 147 will certainly do in your early stage and will have the advantage of being easier to maneuver.

If you think you'll become a freeride type of rider, will enjoy carving n riding pretty fast, a 147 will soon become too short; not enough edge to work with, chattery at speed. How soon you'd then wish to size up depends on how fast you'll progress.
I once had a pretty stiff 149 men's board which I appreciated for being easy to turn and it for sure helped me to progress to a certain point, but I replaced it after a season cos it was just too chattery for this type of riding.

If you think you're more of a playfull rider, cruising over the mtn, not overly into speed, the 147 could go a long way.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
For what it's worth, my wife started on a K2 Luna (the predecessor to the Lunatique). It was fully cambered, and medium stiffness. She loved the board for the first two years, and now has gone up to a longer mostly cambered board (with an early rise nose) and has become an excellent snowboarder...

Never write off camber!

The camber vs. rocker thing is kind of a religious discussion... but I'm in pouts boat. It can't be wrong to learn to mind ones edges. Maybe not as noob, but at some point while progressing, everyone should have had a camber board. To overcome the "catching edges" phase should be a step in the progression and not be just avoided by gear. My opinion.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

lol people can ride whatever they like. I don't care, the barrette actually has camber with a rocker nose.

I just know pout loves camber and its summer time sooooo i thought i would give him a hard time.