How's this for a starter build? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 04:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i have found from personal experience but also from talking to other people.... snowboarding, especially when self taught, requires a 3 day period of pain, so you can earn your stripes. after that....its allllll gravy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yeah I'd say it's a 3-5 day of pain experience...once you can link your turns everything comes super quick. The hardest part is trusting yourself when going to a toe-side turn. My first day on the mountain went like this... went with 2 friends who were very good snowboarders, they took up to the peak of Stratton and said ok now get down! Let's just say it took me a very long time to do that and by the end my ass and knees were completely balck and blue as well as my ego. I came from a pretty decent skateboarding background and thought it would translate near identically, not the case. Principles are similar and it probably allowed me to get it quicker than say my girlfriend who I'm teaching but no matter what you're experience the first couple of days are painful and disheartening. Just stay with it and you'll be all good!
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Liquidmantis

Local shop didn't have anything for my feet. Said they'd special order the Synapse Wide for me as long as I prepaid. Ha! Anyway, ordered the '06/'07 model for $150 shipped from evogear.com

Still deciding on a board.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Liquidmantis

I found last years Cold Smoke for $230 shipped in a 160 and I like the older graphics much more than this years too. Getting ready take the plunge.

Now bindings I'm debating between the Arsenal and the 390s.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

since he hasn't chimed in on this thread surprisingly, send a PM to SnoWolf to get his feedback on the Coldsmoke/390 combination just to make the order that much more comfortable. I believe that is the exact set-up he's using
Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Liquidmantis

Thanks. I've searched enough on both that I probably already even know what he'll say Actually his older posts are the reason I was looking at the Arsenal at all now. He's mentioned it's a tad more forgiving for beginners.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

same setup i will be using too, but i wont get to test it on some snow until a few more weeks
sevenvii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidmantis
Now bindings I'm debating between the Arsenal and the 390s.
i am inclined to suggest that either would be fine for you. so dwell on aesthetics and price IMO

others might specify one over the other, but i imagine that is thru some idea of 'brand loyalty' (which this sport has too much of if you ask me!)
Old 10-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Liquidmantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe
i am inclined to suggest that either would be fine for you. so dwell on aesthetics and price IMO
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I really doubt that I'll be able to notice the difference while riding and was looking more for overall build quality and finish. Right now I'm planning on getting last year's 390 in white (sevenvii and I will have matching boards ) if the shop still has them in large.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the arsenal's are softer more free-style oriented where the 390's are stiffer and more free-ride oriented. If you can get the 390's for a good deal go for them. The Arsenal may be more forgiving in the begining for you though