How's this for a starter build? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Liquidmantis

Default How's this for a starter build?

First off, I've never snowboarded so I know I'll get told to take [a] lesson[s] and rent but I'm stupidly convinced that I should just jump in head first (or fall down head first a lot). I've got extensive slalom waterski experience, I consider myself a decent snow skier, and I play around on longboards and a carveboard regularly. I know the skills won't directly translate to snowboarding and I'm prepared to bust my ass but I'm assuming that the background and balance will start me off well.

I lean more toward the carving style of riding but I'll probably want to throw in some jumps and basic tricks but I don't have much if any interest in park riding. If I do it'll be the rare exception.

I'm 6', currently at 160# as I lost about 10# in the stress of my recent move. I'm planning on bulking over the winter and will probably be up to 175-180 by the end of the season. Shoe size 9, probably getting a 26.5 or 27 boot. I ride normal stance and I'll be mostly riding at Loveland in CO this year, with some scouting to Arapahoe Basin and Winterpark very likely.

That said, here's what I'm starting to look at gear wise:
Board:
Ride Concept TMS 161
Rome Solution 160
Considered the Atomic Cold Smoke or Radon but thought that those, especially the stiff Radon, are probably left as an option for an upgrade board later.

Bindings:
Rome 390

Boot:
Salomon Synapse Wide
Will try boots in store to see what fits my hobbit feet the best.

Comments? Other than I'm an idiot for not going out under someone's wing first...

Last edited by Liquidmantis; 10-22-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
st.stark

Wow...you have some really great options that most new people don't know about. I would definately stick with what you're thinking binding/boot-wise and as for board, it is really a toss up between the Ride and Rome IMO, because I think those two are pretty similar when it comes to quality...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Liquidmantis

Cool. Part of my usual OCD jump-in is too much research. I've spent a big chunk of today's workday reading the forum and checking out manufacturer sites.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say that the Cold Smoke or Radon are a step up from that Ride you have listed... the Concept TMS is a pretty sick board and you actually may want to stay away from it for your first board and go with something more like the decade for the first couple of years. The reason I say stay away is it's a relatively aggressive design and a bit unforgiving if you get lazy which you will when you're learning...
If you're stuck between the Ride and that Rome, I'd go with the Rome strictly based on the fact it'll be a bit more forgiving at first. The Ride is closer to the Rome Anthem in terms of personality
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Whoa whoa whoa. Step back there tiger! At this point, the boards you listed are in WAAAYYYY over your head. And I would actually give the Cold Smoke a chance. I havn't ridden it, but I'll let SnoWolf comment on it.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

kudos for having courage / determination enuff to invest time, effort and dollar into starting this little pass time of our's!

i never got a lesson and i never rented, having also pig headedly dived in, just to keep up with the skiing in laws one xmas! i have been addicted ever since and even got qualified as an instructor and so someone as well versed in balance sports as yourself should have no probs!

however, having an expectation based on other, similar experience / skills can be a double edged sword. there is an element of familiarity, but there is also a real risk of over confidence. having said that tho, approach it with modest expectations (ie walk before run) and you'll be carving black runs within a week or two! with this in mind.... there is no harm starting out on a beginner / intermediate board; ie a soft free rider. IMO. i haven't ridden a shedload of boards, certainly not ones appearing in the stores now or soon, but i am sure you can get a good idea of what's what. TIP - stiff boards ain't for you. not this year.

as far as the nitty gritty of teaching your self; simply do the following - (very basic lesson plan here for which i will get strung up):

suss side slipping
falling leaf
swinging your shoulders to initate turns

et voila.. i reckon the rest will be for you to sink or swim!

enjoy!

Last edited by PaoloSmythe; 10-23-2007 at 10:44 AM.
PaoloSmythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Liquidmantis

Thanks for the advice! I'm not going in cocky, I'm sure I'll be eating it. I'll wait until at least my second day out before dropping in on any double blacks.

So are all the boards I'm looking at just too much for a beginner? I was shying away from something like the Atomic Vantage as I didn't want to get a board that I'd end up feeling like it was holding me back halfway through the season. Maybe that's just not the case though.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't think the Rome Solution would be too much and again look at the Ride Decade instead of the Concept. They share very similar attributes, but the Decade is just more forgiving. Also I'm sure SnoWolf will chime in when he gets a chance about the Atomic ColdSmoke as he rides one and always recomends it to beginners as it is actually an intermediate board that will allow you to grow on it while being forgiving enough to start on. I haven't ridden it but that's his general comment. I've ridden the Ride for the last 3 yrs and the only reason I switched is because I just wanted something different for the year. I could still absolutely ride it hard and aggressive as I have and it would keep up with me. I just wanted a bit more length so I went for a Rome Flag in a 168. My Decade is a 165w
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
xevi89

All I can add is that regardless of anything else you made a dead on choice for your bindings. Other than that I'm not really well versed in gear. I'm just waiting to try out my first board on the slopes hehe. Oh and you'll want to make sure to be gooo and ready to aid your aches and pains.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am by no means an expert, but was in the same situation as you. I am a great slalom ski'er, pretty good snow ski'er and thought hey this snowboarding thing cant be that hard. Well, it really isnt but I defintely went into that first day with too much over confidence. I not only didnt take a lesson, but also went with 2 people who have only snow ski'd(like me) their entire lives. Was a huge pain in the ass trying to figure out why i was on my ass every few seconds, but finally figured out how to ride the edge(granted my calves were killing me next day as i couldnt transition from toe to heel edge..), and was finally able to make it off the chair lift without falling on my ass. Spent a lot of time studying these little 8 year olds that were showing me up

I also say huge kudos for going for it, that first day around mid day i was ready to snap the fuc#@$# snowboard over my knee, but eventually came to tolerate and now enjoy it quite well I just wish I didnt have to go from being a pretty expert ski'er to a pretty intermediate snow boarder....oh well with time im sure I can get back up there.....have fun and good luck!

Fellow CO snowboarder!!!!

Last edited by sevenvii; 10-23-2007 at 08:46 PM.
sevenvii is offline   Reply With Quote