wide or not wide? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default wide or not wide?

A friend decided to drop skis and start snowboarding so he asked to help him with buying him a snowboard, bindings, boots He is 6ft 3in tall, ~220-230 lbs and size 11 boots. Does he need a wide board? I found slightly used K2 subculture 161 for a good price, it has 254mm waist. Wide enough for size 11 boots? I was almost sure, that 161 regular is OK for size 11, because my brother rides 159 sabotage (251mm waist) with size 10 boots and a friend rides 156 sabotage (250mm waist) with size 10,5 boots and they are doing just fine, but "The-House" replied with suggestion to buy a 159w or 162w...

I could also get him a K2 Brigade 159w, 164w K2 Raygun, 159w or 161 K2 Slayblade (overkill for a beginner), 159w K2 Ultra Dream, 165 K2 Peace Keeper.

Last edited by kosmoz; 07-15-2014 at 04:57 AM.
kosmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

optional............
Old 07-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Need? No. He won't experience toe drag if that's the fear. Will more width benefit his learning curve? Dunno.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

I myself am a size 11 and have struggled with whether I need a wide board or not. My current board is 263mm waist size but after doing some research and asking around it seems I don't need a board that wide. From people who have much more experience than me...your looking for a board in the 257mm-260mm range.
Good luck.
Rance P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No need for a wide and usually if you don't need one it's best to avoid one. They can offer a little more float but they also have extra material which means extra weight, not to mention the main factor of where you're turning from on the board. You ideally want your toes and heels pulling from as close to the edge of the board, or rather as far from the center of the board as possible. Put a size 8 boot on a wide board and it's like putting a door handle on the same side of the door as the hinge. It's all about leverage, size 11 just use proper angles and ride a normal width deck and you're set.
lab49232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

If your buddy is a total beginner and/or plans on sticking to mainly freestyle and icy parks, he might be ok with a board under 260mm. But if he is used to carve his skis and not skid around and/or wants to ride all mountain in all conditions, then he will be better served by a board over 260mm.

I use size 10.5 boots and after having spent most of my riding time on boards in the 250mm to 255mm range (by lack of choice), I switched to boards over 260mm about 16 years ago or so. I will never go back to thinner boards.
Mig Fullbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

a normal will be fine, imo don't go smaller than that 161 though
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

At sz 11 it is mostly down to the boot itself (ie reduced footprint or not) amd angles; because it is basically borderline for most regular width boards.

I use size 11 on regular width boards (between 156 and 161 and ~251mm waist) with no problems whatsoever. But i have 32 TM2 which have reduce footprint and it is borderline... toe/heel hang about 2cm.

So with reduced footprint boots, regular width should be fine on 159cm+ boards....

Non-reduced, then I'd recommend to try it (with the actual boots, board and binding angles) to be certain. Also because each board has a different width at te inserts even if some boards have the same waist width.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
32 TM2
those look great, + on sale @ evo rt now... last pair of 32's I had were awesome, starting my comparison list with these (b-day next week! wooop). any other small footprint boot i should know of anyone? (srry the hijack, but this might also help op's friend)
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMT View Post
those look great, + on sale @ evo rt now... last pair of 32's I had were awesome, starting my comparison list with these (b-day next week! wooop). any other small footprint boot i should know of anyone? (srry the hijack, but this might also help op's friend)
TM2's are amazing. Super versatile. They are on the stiff/responsive side (about ~8/10), but you can ride them anywhere; and because they have articulated cuffs, it's not so bad when walking around. Also... sturdy made; everything looks and is quality... very little wear and tear. I don't see myself buying any other boot.

My only complaint is the sole is really slippery when new... also it's traditional lacing, which some ppl may mind, but i prefer. Tie them up once and don't need to even think about touching the laces all day.

Maybe also Ride hi-phy. Really small footprint and tiny profile, good all mtn stiffness.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote