Help with first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with first board

Hey everyone,

I've gone boarding every year for about 3 years and i've always just rented but i can't stand it anymore and want my own gear.

I mostly just do blue runs at the moment, i never do park. I'm looking for a board i can control well and get a bit of speed on.

I've read through the stickies but i was hoping for a few ideas as to what to go after.
Stylusphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

The rome mod is really amazing from what I have heard. It doesn't perform too well at park but apart from that it's really good. Check out some reviews for it. Only problem is that its pretty expensive $560 USD but you can get it on evo for around 300$ right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylusphyre View Post
Hey everyone,

I've gone boarding every year for about 3 years and i've always just rented but i can't stand it anymore and want my own gear.

I mostly just do blue runs at the moment, i never do park. I'm looking for a board i can control well and get a bit of speed on.

I've read through the stickies but i was hoping for a few ideas as to what to go after.
gab1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hey everyone,

You could pick one of 20+ boards that might suit your needs. Without knowing your weight, boot size, type of mountain/terrain you ride, if you like camber or reverse and what you plan on progressing to, it would be really difficult to give you good advise on what to look at.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey everyone,

When it came to buying my first board, if I had to do it all again, I would have taken my time!! I would have started out hitting up a few Demo Days at the hills and trying out a whole bunch of boards from a bunch of different manufactures.

I also figured out (After I bought my first board) that some local shops close to the hills will let you demo a board for an entire day!

Choosing the right board should also depend where you ride...I live in the East Coast Canada...not much power but lots of ice. So here, boards like GNU, Lib Tech and Never Summer are fantastic... nice float with great traction.

I was a little too trigger happy with my first board and purchased a Burton Sherlock a 3 season back (Full Reverse Camber, little traction with those edges on icy days)

Last season my brother picked up a NS Proto and my Bro-in-Law a GNU Riders Choice...when I "Borrowed" their boards I realized what I was missing...being able to hold an edge on the ice is nice...So choose your board wisely depending on the conditions where you ride!
christopherglim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
You could pick one of 20+ boards that might suit your needs. Without knowing your weight, boot size, type of mountain/terrain you ride, if you like camber or reverse and what you plan on progressing to, it would be really difficult to give you good advise on what to look at.
Sorry about that.

I ride in Australia where there is a lot of ice, i'm 85kg (187 pounds) and never go off piste/park.

I've read into camber and I assume i want regular.
Stylusphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Given your wants, I'd go a cambered (or hybrid that's predominantly cambereded in the centre), a mid to stiff flex, and around the 158 mark!!!!!

Research a handful of boards that fit that bill, then read any and all reviews, come back and post the top 3, and see what feedback you get from there!!!!!
Mizu Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote