Advice needed for new Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice needed for new Board

Hi Guys,

Im hoping to get some help deciding what board i should buy. Ive always been a skier and 2 weeks ago borrowed a friends snowboard...honestly don't think i will ever ski again . Ill try to include as much info as possible here as most of the other threads i've read like this have asked for more info.

So im looking to buy my own board, bindings and boots. But i'm mainly looking for advice on what board to buy. I'm 81kg and 178cm. The board i borrowed was a Cambered 160 and I think i'm more suited to a 156 or a 158.

I picked up boarding quite quickly and while i'm still definitely a beginner I want something i can still use as my skills improve. I'm an Aussie so while i will head to Japan and NZ when i can afford it, mostly going to be Australian slopes with minimal powder and extra ice. I am wanting an all-mountain board as i've never done any park stuff before but at the same time i would be interested in trying it later this season. I ride switch a lot so think a twin board would suit me. But not sure if thats just due to me still sucking at toe side.

Ive heard good things about Burtons but really don't know many brands. Went down to a local shop who recommended Step Child boards with "3D camber". But was suspicious when i couldn't find any info about them on forums. I think I am after a camber or hybrid camber board.

Ive tried reading as much info as a i can but its just got to the point where i am really struggling to differentiate between so many different boards and make the right compromises. So if anybody could recommend me a good board and perhaps somewhere i can buy it that will ship to Australia, that would be great.

Thanks
MattM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Hi Guys,

Im hoping to get some help deciding what board i should buy. Ive always been a skier and 2 weeks ago borrowed a friends snowboard...honestly don't think i will ever ski again . Ill try to include as much info as possible here as most of the other threads i've read like this have asked for more info.

So im looking to buy my own board, bindings and boots. But i'm mainly looking for advice on what board to buy. I'm 81kg and 178cm. The board i borrowed was a Cambered 160 and I think i'm more suited to a 156 or a 158.

I picked up boarding quite quickly and while i'm still definitely a beginner I want something i can still use as my skills improve. I'm an Aussie so while i will head to Japan and NZ when i can afford it, mostly going to be Australian slopes with minimal powder and extra ice. I am wanting an all-mountain board as i've never done any park stuff before but at the same time i would be interested in trying it later this season. I ride switch a lot so think a twin board would suit me. But not sure if thats just due to me still sucking at toe side.

Ive heard good things about Burtons but really don't know many brands. Went down to a local shop who recommended Step Child boards with "3D camber". But was suspicious when i couldn't find any info about them on forums. I think I am after a camber or hybrid camber board.

Ive tried reading as much info as a i can but its just got to the point where i am really struggling to differentiate between so many different boards and make the right compromises. So if anybody could recommend me a good board and perhaps somewhere i can buy it that will ship to Australia, that would be great.

Thanks
For the conditions your riding in Australia (lots of ice and little snow, I ride similar in East Cost Canada), try looking in to GNU, Lib Tech, or Never Summer. Great traction on the ice and enough float to have fun riding switch without worrying about catching an edge.
christopherglim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't be afraid of a cambered board, it's best for the sort of conditions you'll be riding in. A hybrid board will allow you to enjoy that rare powder day that sometimes arrives

International shipping is not allowed through most sellers as the manufacturers don't allow it.

I think this is to prevent end of season sales from one hemisphere destroying the start of season prices at the other hemisphere.

Boards are expensive to ship through those middleman services due to size.
Manicmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Have a look at somethin with a CamRock profile such as the YES Basic!!!!!
Mizu Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmouse View Post
Don't be afraid of a cambered board, it's best for the sort of conditions you'll be riding in. A hybrid board will allow you to enjoy that rare powder day that sometimes arrives

International shipping is not allowed through most sellers as the manufacturers don't allow it.

I think this is to prevent end of season sales from one hemisphere destroying the start of season prices at the other hemisphere.

Boards are expensive to ship through those middleman services due to size.
Yeah, by the time you add shippin and post services on, you can definitely wrangle a deal just as good from a local dealer!!!!!

Also a hell of a lot easier if there's a warranty issue!!!!!

And remember that a lot of brands actually supply the latest gear down under first!!!!!
Mizu Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote