Powder Board Decisions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Powder Board Decisions

So I've been looking at a slew of Powder boards since they're on sale now and probably aren't gonna get any cheaper.
I've finally narrowed it down to a few boards
Bataleon Camel Toe
Nitro Slash
Slash Striaght
If anyone has some experience with these boards I'd love to hear some feedback
Mammoth Lifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

What are you looking for in a powder board? What kind of riding do you do? How much powder will you want to have for you to grab your powder board? Where do plan on riding?
From the boards that you picked I would consider them more directional all mountain boards than powder boards. IMO I define a "Powder Board" by the stance set back, anything over 1.5". After that it is just diffrent shapes and stiffness's.

My go to powder board in the Brando by Lando. The brando has a 2.5" set back, big nose, and it tappers. Rode it for powder day at the resort and heli boarding. Prob my favorite board in my quiver. I always grab it when it snow 8+ inches.
PNWsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

well I'm gonna be working at mammoth again and this season I had about 20 powder days. I rode the open faced terrain a decent amount but spent most of the time on tree runs. I was using a Gnu space case the whole season so anything directional or tapered will be loads better. I did look into the Brando by Lando but couldn't find very reliable reviews. How is it edge to edge? can you go into more detail on the board
Mammoth Lifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here is a thread from a guy on here with the Slash: 2011 Nitro Slash review
I ended up buying a 2013 Slash as a powder board, but haven't ridden it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWsnow View Post
From the boards that you picked I would consider them more directional all mountain boards than powder boards. IMO I define a "Powder Board" by the stance set back, anything over 1.5". After that it is just diffrent shapes and stiffness's.
I get what you mean here, but plenty of powder-specific boards have less setback than that. I don't think anyone is going to be picking up a Nitro Slash or Charlie Slasher to hit groomers.

Last edited by cerebroside; 08-02-2014 at 03:51 PM.
cerebroside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I like the camel toe. However if you are not sure you like tbt then i wouldn't recommend it
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was thinking about the burton fishcuit as I've heard some good things about it.
ekb18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav0011 View Post
I like the camel toe. However if you are not sure you like tbt then i wouldn't recommend it
I like the idea of it, but I could not get used to it.

Too many years on normal boards.

I think if you were to try one of these boards first it'd be easy(er)

But then, when & if you ever ride a true camber board.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My Cloudsplitter is rad. Regular camber, narrow waist, carves great in trees, everything I like about a non powder board but with the wide nose and split tail it floats in fluff without needing rocker. I'm an East Coast rider most of the year so this thing is perfect. If I was in the Northwest I'd probably want something longer and wider, a real boat like the Birdman.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth Lifty View Post
well I'm gonna be working at mammoth again and this season I had about 20 powder days. I rode the open faced terrain a decent amount but spent most of the time on tree runs. I was using a Gnu space case the whole season so anything directional or tapered will be loads better. I did look into the Brando by Lando but couldn't find very reliable reviews. How is it edge to edge? can you go into more detail on the board
open face vs trees...two different pow boards. love my charlie slasher 164 for big open...but in the trees no....but perhaps that is due to the width and my hellishly small feet
Old 08-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth Lifty View Post
The Brando By Lando is a great board. Edge to edge it is really good. With the tapered shape it really easy to transfer, and handled really well on the steep stuff. It floats really well, and found it really fun to ride. It is my favorite board in my quiver, I try to ride it more than my trice hp. I rode it at Revelstoke, kicking horse, and fernie, and lake Louise last year, to give you an idea what I rode it on. Handles great top to bottom.

Bottom line is get the board you want. Everyone has an idea and will lead to their favorite brand or board.
PNWsnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powder, snowboard