looking for a new board, going to whistler for the season - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
sheldon

Question looking for a new board, going to whistler for the season

hey i'm looking to get a new board when i go over to whistler for the season i live in australia. i will probably purchase the board in vancouver.
i weight around 76kg (~167 pounds) and i am around 180-183cm tall (5'11" - 6').
i ride a pair of northwaves that are size 9 US, although i might upgrade them at some time over there but i don't see myself going much bigger than a 9.5 US because i'm 20 years old now so i guess i have stopped growing.
i would say i'm a pretty good intermediate, been snowboarding for 5 or 6 years now, although this will be my first full season.
i would like a board for freeride and freestyle, although with maybe a little bit more of a focus on freestyle and it would be nice to maybe have a twin because i'm looking to improve my switch riding.
i currently have a 158 joyride from 2001, burton mission '06 bindings and northwave legends boots. i will be using this board at whistler/blackcombe and also back in australia.
so far i have been looking around quite a bit and have also checked out the latest transworld with the new good wood tests and have liked the look of GNU riders choice MTX, K2 darkstar, K2 WWW, K2 believer, NItro Eero, and Santa Cruz Jon Kooley.
i would like to know what everyone recommends in terms of board?
and also in terms of the board size range i should look into?
Also what is MTX, from what i have gathered it is the same thing as magne traction, if so what is it?

Also as a side question i am looking at getting a new jacket, and have been very happy with the current billabong i have so i was looking at getting another billabong jacket here in australia but was wondering if it will be fit for a canadian winter because this is my first time snowboarding overseas, the ones i'm looking at have a 10k waterproof rating and 8k moisture permeability rating, is there anything else i should be looking at?

Thank you very much in advance
sheldon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
xenster

MTX = magnetraction
Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
st.stark

Those jacket ratings should be fine. You don't need to spend money to get 20k stuff when 8-10 works just fine. Board-wise I think that if you really want to go boarding in the park often you should go with the K2 WWW, and if you want a more all around freestyle/freeride stick the Darkstar, GNU, and Nitro would work well there. Hope this helps!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rome Agent, Stepchild Simon Chaimerlane, Atomic Alibi, Never Summer. Look for boards that are about 155-157-ish too.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.stark
Those jacket ratings should be fine. You don't need to spend money to get 20k stuff when 8-10 works just fine. Board-wise I think that if you really want to go boarding in the park often you should go with the K2 WWW, and if you want a more all around freestyle/freeride stick the Darkstar, GNU, and Nitro would work well there. Hope this helps!
I'm going to disagree with you about the ratings. Higher ratings generally means that the jackets/pants last longer.

Also, K2WWW=noodle. Noodle is good out east, not so much in Whis. Everything else though, would work just fine.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
djcuba908

Gnu Rider's Choice MTX would be my choice...soft enough for riding in the park but stiff enough to tackle to whole mountain. Mervin Manufacturing (the company that makes Gnu and Lib-Tech) also has great reputation for reliable boards with solid construction. Also, my friend rode a K2 Darkstar in every type of condition you can imagine (ice, backcountry, park, jibbing, etc.) last season and that board held up to a ton of abuse, so it would be a good choice too.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

if you can, buy your kit in america, canada prioces especially in couver will rape a poor aussie like you!

shit london is cheaper!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
mike1two

Magne-Traction utilizes seven contact points that touch down through turns as upose to two contact points of a traditional snowboard. The advantage is that it holds its edge and cuts through icey conditions easier. There are mixed opinions on how it affects riding in other terrain and conditions so you may want to demo one begore you buy...if you can.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Heh. He probably won't be needing MTX since it's Whis...which is west coast, not east coast. But eh, that's personal preference.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
sheldon

MTX sounds like it could be useful for riding in australia though, we dont get the best snow down here. the GNU is looking like the top dog at the moment.
im not going to be able to buy in the US unfortunately, how much does the GNU retail for in vancouver, i saw around 500?
I'll also be looking to keep this for quite a while, ~5 years so im going to need something that'll last. are there any other good boards out there im missing?
Problem with the GNU is that it only comes in either 154.5 or a 157.5, and im really divided on which i would go if i got that board?