new, need buying tips - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zephxz

Default new, need buying tips

hey everyone.
i got back from a week of snowboarding vacation, first time.
i had a week of instruction (at least 2 hours every day) and i picked it up pretty fast so i actually know stuff (did every red slope, even learned a couple of tricks).
and, FELL IN LOVE WITH THE SPORT.

so now that i'm addicted, i want my own gear for next season.
i have NOTHING. absolutely nothing.
i thought about starting with clothing and maybe if i have some cash left ill get boots, and all of these are meant to last for a long time, i'm all for a one-time investment, and in cold weather:

Rome pants and jacket (any good?),
Dragon DX / Smith Fuse goggles (please tell me which is better?)
Level Fly gloves

id like to know what you think of these, cause i didn't find many reviews. are they any good?
and if you know of something better in that price range, tell me.

and about the boots... i want all-mountain, good quality, mid range priced boots. i don't mind paying a LITTLE extra for quality cause i know boots are important but not very\most\way too expensive. any suggestions?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 04:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zephxz

im sorry that im double posting,
but its been only a few hours, i got no comment, and it's already on the second page.
im just giving it one last try for someone to answer me before i give up on you guys....
help!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

since u said u wanna spend on clothing first....
id suggest u to head over to dogfunk.com or sierrasnowboard.com now for some really good deals on jackets and pants....
u wanna look for jackets/pants with waterproof rating and breathable rating of at least 10k.
also u want ur jacket and pants (pants especially) with taped seam.
as for gloves, as long as its waterproof and keeps u warm. I personally prefer softer gloves instead of those really rigid ones. Mitten is good too at keeping u warm, but provides less finger mobility.
generally burton, 686, foursquare, session, special blend are pretty popular.

then when it comes to goggles....
i would suggest u to go to ur local sports store and try on a few...it is important to find a goggle that will fit ur face. I personally have to look for special asian fit goggles coz the regular ones are too big for me and leaves gap at my nose bridge...so as long as u find a fitting pair...ur good to go. Generally smith, oakley, spy, von zipper and a few other are the more popular brands.

then here is a pretty good guide on buying and fitting boots.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...ce-guides.html

if u really wanna make ur investment worth ur money, u need to do ur own research thoroughly. Every company have their good and bad product and alot of it are based on individuals preference.
________
Buy Marijuana Seeds

Last edited by w3iiipu; 08-21-2011 at 09:04 AM.
w3iiipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

just make sure you spend time trying on boots. do not order boots from a website, unless you have tried them on in a shop first.
msmith222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yup boots are probably the most important peice of clothing you wear. Try on as many pairs as you can and find the most comfortable boots. It maybe too late to get a lot of boots online for huge discounts, a lot are probably sold out in most but the big and small sizes. But you can get a good boot for ~200 at full price and around 50% off online if you look.

Since nobody else mentioned it i will here, what type of weather are you riding in? You really need to know this before you go buy some 150 dollar goggles with some bright light lenses that you will never be able to use.

I see all these people at the mountain here in Oregon where its low light 95% of the season riding around with all of these highly polarized and bright condition goggle lenses(they are shiny and reflect stuff so you look dope!) and i have no idea how they can see anything :/

Last edited by arsenic0; 03-07-2009 at 03:08 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if you really want this to be a 1 time buy only check out some more high end stuff. the burton AK line, Holden, 686, sessions etc... 10-15k at least. i bought my pants and coat off ebay for absolute steals, i paid 150 for my pants retail 370 and it was in the beginning of the season and they were 2009 pants.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yup you can get some retarded deals on Sierra right now..i have some 20k/20k Analog pants (71.99) coming to me now..cant wait..

Last edited by arsenic0; 03-07-2009 at 03:17 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
hawk45

For gear keep a lookout here all day long (if have access at work). DealSucker.com - deal of the day monitoring tracker aggregator

Good gear stores are Steep n Cheap, Brocity, Whiskey Malitia, Tramdock, and a few others.. great deals if you keep your eyes open.

686 stuff is really nice.. love the Smarty Pants.
Oakley has a few nice things too (I know, I was surprised too!! I hate there glasses but got a great deal on a nice coat from links above)
I like Rome and Ride boards, but I'm a noob so my opinion on that doesn't really matter yet.
Boots... I have Burton Riders and they are decent for my first pair
Bindings.. I have Rome Targas are really nice(so are their other lower end models also from reviews). I think I'll try some Union Force's based on what I've read.

Have fun and polish off the credit card!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephxz View Post
hey everyone.
i got back from a week of snowboarding vacation, first time.
i had a week of instruction (at least 2 hours every day) and i picked it up pretty fast so i actually know stuff (did every red slope, even learned a couple of tricks).
and, FELL IN LOVE WITH THE SPORT.

so now that i'm addicted, i want my own gear for next season.
i have NOTHING. absolutely nothing.
i thought about starting with clothing and maybe if i have some cash left ill get boots, and all of these are meant to last for a long time, i'm all for a one-time investment, and in cold weather:

Rome pants and jacket (any good?),
Dragon DX / Smith Fuse goggles (please tell me which is better?)
Level Fly gloves

id like to know what you think of these, cause i didn't find many reviews. are they any good?
and if you know of something better in that price range, tell me.

and about the boots... i want all-mountain, good quality, mid range priced boots. i don't mind paying a LITTLE extra for quality cause i know boots are important but not very\most\way too expensive. any suggestions?

thanks!
Not quite sure what you mean by red slopes...

We can't reccomend boots to you becasue they fit differently for everyone. Some good performing boots are rome smith, rome libertine, and saloman symbios.
I need a name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zephxz

Default wow!

thank you very much for all the comments!
so i looked at what u said and decided i want 686 clothing.
im gonna get stuff from the smarty series.
my problem is we don't have 686 stuff around here so i cant measure them at the store, ill have to look at those charts which i dunno if accurate...
how does snowboard clothing go? if im usually medium in everything should i get one size smaller? from what i read i understand it's all too big (and i don't like baggy... not tight, but not baggy either)
i'm afraid ill get the wrong size.

wrist guards on gloves, yes or no? level fly gloves has them