Too much board for a small rider? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Too much board for a small rider?

Hello,

I am a new snowboarder and new to this forum. I have been boarding every weekend for a few months now and am having a hard time linking turns and I wonder if my board has anything to do with it. I bought a progression board (Arbor Eden 144) with the hopes that I would grow into it and be able to ride it for several seasons. However, I have been doing some research and recently learned that the recommended weight for this board starts at 130 pounds, but I only weigh 105 pounds. Also, when I compare the stiffness of the Eden to other progression boards from Ride and Burton, I find that it is A LOT stiffer, even though it is classified as a progression all-mountain board.

So basically I'm wondering if my Eden is just too much board for me and if it would be worth it to purchase a more flexible board to learn on. Also, if it is too stiff, would it be possible to grow into this board at some point, or should I get rid of it and replace it completely with something more appropriate to my size?

About me: I'm 28, 5'0'' tall, 105 pounds, female, not very athletic or aggressive, but am committed to learn to board. I'm interested in spending most of my time on the groomers and in the trees, not so much in the park.

I appreciate any advice you can give, as I would like to take advantage of the sale prices and purchase soon if I need to. I feel pretty lost at this point....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

it will be stiff, with that said a stiff board will not be impossible to learn on and it will not screw up your habits. it just makes it less easy, aka harder

Lib Tech Skate banana
Flow NXT-FS
Nike kaiju
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 AM
jjin

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
my gf is 5'3 weighs 120 and i got her a 140 rome ???? forgot the deck name, its a park board i remember its a twin. she rides well with it. i would only recommend a bigger board for women if they are getting something for all mountain and are intermediate. it does make it harder to learn on a stiffer longer board.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member

im not gunna lie, 140 seems small jjin. for the OP, the only problem with the arbor is that its not something you will grow into at 28 years old, you may want something new buy the end of next season even..

Lib Tech Skate banana
Flow NXT-FS
Nike kaiju
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 AM
jjin

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
how is 140 small? for a girl?

i rode a 145 lib tech box scratcher (im 6'1 and 200lbs) and it was fine.

this is how i see it... measure of height in cm and minus 20cm will = parkboard goodness, also good starter board sz.
(weight also plays a factor but its not a big problem if you are avg in weight)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
for the OP, the only problem with the arbor is that its not something you will grow into at 28 years old, you may want something new buy the end of next season even..
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Are you saying that it's a board I will not be able to progress with (by "grow into" I meant progress, not "grow in the physical sense)? Are you suggesting that I get a board to replace the Arbor immediately or that I will progress past the Arbor after another season?

Thanks for the clarification!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Are you saying that it's a board I will not be able to progress with (by "grow into" I meant progress, not "grow in the physical sense)? Are you suggesting that I get a board to replace the Arbor immediately or that I will progress past the Arbor after another season?

Thanks for the clarification!
i meant in the physical sense, like you are probably not getting any bigger

Lib Tech Skate banana
Flow NXT-FS
Nike kaiju
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
i meant in the physical sense, like you are probably not getting any bigger
LOL At 5'0'', I wouldn't mind growing a few inches, but you're right - don't think it's an option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode