New Board has arrived, have a few setup questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board has arrived, have a few setup questions

Well, my first board (Rome Solution 158) has arrived and I'm stoked. I'm 5'7" 185 pounds 7.5 mens boot and I rode goofy last year (my first season). I just got done setting up my bindings and took a few pics so you guys could let me know if it looks good to go. I wen't with +15 & -3 with a 21" stance to start, since I'm not sure what my rental setup was last year. I centered the bindings on the board which for my small/medium Arsenals was the 2nd hole on the binding disks. Also I rotated my front binding highback to align with the heel edge of the board, but not sure if It's right (my front binding is set to +15 but the highback only has settings at 0,4,8 and 12 degrees) I set it at 8 degrees and it seems inline with the heel edge, does this sound right? And my last question is for a 2nd year rider who doesn't ride any park and will stick to resort groomers, should I stay with the default setback or should I center the bindings? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_6894.jpg (170.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_6895.jpg (100.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_6897.jpg (113.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_6900.jpg (142.6 KB, 86 views)
Celt943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Make sure you're stance width is comfortable for YOU. You can duck your angles out some more, but do that slowly. Otherwise, that looks peachy!
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
xenster

ahhh... there's no feeling like getting a fresh setup... accompanied by one the worst feelings of getting it before there's any snow around and waiting in anticipation of the white stuff. looks great, btw. top sheet reminds me of katamari characters. as far as setup is concerned, it's all personal preference. I know you're probably tired of reading/hearing that, but it's true. I say you set it neutral and then take it for a few runs doing some wide carving with a screw driver and dial it in as you take your runs. The only thing I can say definitively is that you will want forward lean to a certain degree, makes a world of a difference. btw, i set mine up +15/+10 on my freeride days, which most people would find uncomfortable, but like i said, do you.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
djcuba908

OMG I must have played with my stance soooo much when I got my board last month...I can't wait for the season to start.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
st.stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenster
top sheet reminds me of katamari characters.
I was thinking the same thing!!! lol Nice setup man. Have fun!
Old 10-25-2007, 03:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
yachattack

oh man, my mouths watering just lookin at your board lol. but seriously man, their right. whatever is comfortable for you is what you wanna do. most trainers or professionals recommend that beginners should start out riding with a regular stance, and then later switch to ducky. plus they say ducky is not as good for your knees. but its kinda whatevers comfortable to you

Last edited by yachattack; 10-25-2007 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf
That looks fine. Your best bet is to use the default setback by using the same insert holes for the front and rear binding. As for stance width, that is a good start. Generally about shoulder width then adjust from there. When it starts to get too wide, turn initiation will begin to get awkward.If you knees hurt, you can narrow it a little. As for the duck stance, one way to initially set it up is to have someone measure your natural stance when you are not thinking about it like when standing at the water cooler chatting. Some are more naturally ducked than others. stary fairly close to your normal stance and make small adjustments. Having some forward lean is good and as for rotating your highback, I don`t myself, but many prefer it. The idea is it pressures the heel edge more directly. For me, I prefer the highback to line up with my calf, but its a personal choice so give it a try. Nice setup over all.
Guys thanks for all the advice. I've actually been playing with different setups since yesterday and have found out a few things. 1. I think I'm gonna put my highbacks back to normal, like Snowolf I don't like the feeling of the highback not lining up with my calf. 2. I tried a forward stance of +21, +6 and found that it felt pretty ackward, then I switched it to +18, 0 and this feels really good. Now my biggest problem: the Rome solution has 2 markings on the mounting holes Default which is a 21" stance and set back 20 (I guess that's MM) and Centered which is also 21" stance but no setback. My problem is that I tried 21" and it's a little too wide and I want to narrow it up a bit, but I don't know if I should move the rear binding up one closer to the front binding or move the front binding back towards the rear? any Rome riders out there that can help me out on this one? And lastly, does it matter for a 2nd year rider who doesn't hit the park if my stance is centered or set back? I'm riding Northeast resorts in VT and NH. Thanks again for all the help guys.
Celt943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
st.stark

If you are riding park it's better if it is centered, but not crucial. As for to move the front one back or the back one forward...idk.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

trial and error is the only way to get your stance set up right. i usually end up tinkering with it a bit every time i ride for some reason, just to try something new out.
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

That looks exactly how I had my bindings set up when I first started snowboarding. I got a bunch of equipment and called my friend who had been riding for years and asked him to help me set it up for a beginner. He set it up just like that and it worked great for me. I changed it to my liking slowly over the course of a season until I had it dialed in exactly how I liked it. I made one adjustment at a time so I could see how each adjustment affected the ride so if I didn't like it I could change it back. Start there and see how you think it'll work with different small changes.. Have a good season, nice board!

Last edited by Mr. Right; 10-25-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote