Does Gender and Age Group Matter? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does Gender and Age Group Matter?

Looking to buy my first board. I'm a pretty petite female at 5'0" ft tall and 97 lbs. Looking at sizing charts on various sites (proboardshop, burton, etc, women's boards are a bit on the larger size for my weight. Is it okay to use a Kid's board? And does male or female really matter?
xs0ymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs0ymilk View Post
Looking to buy my first board. I'm a pretty petite female at 5'0" ft tall and 97 lbs. Looking at sizing charts on various sites (proboardshop, burton, etc, women's boards are a bit on the larger size for my weight. Is it okay to use a Kid's board? And does male or female really matter?
You can no problem. Typically kids boards aren't made as well, there are a few exceptions.

You actually fall right in the middle of the ranges for a gnu b-nice 142cm though. Can probably find a roxy that would suit you as well. I'm sure you'll get some other recommendations.
f00bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Depends really. If it's childrens you don't want it but if it's like a preteen and up then go for it. You're small but you're not a midget. Roxy, Gnu, Burton, K2, and Ride all make female models small enough for you. Just stop reading that crap from Pro Boardshop those people don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:

This question has been raised before and people with much more experience and knowledge than I have, have pointed out that ALL other considerations being equal. Board size, profile, shape, etc. A man's board will tend to be stiffer than an identical women's board. (...i believe the general reasoning being a man would, be stronger with more muscle mass required to handle the added stiffness of the board.)

That being said, plenty of women here are shredding the hell out of both men's and women's boards. So you can reasonably expect to do just fine with either depending on your skill and/or fitness level.

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 08-12-2014 at 02:44 PM.
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

just look for a women's 142 or 143, most brands carry them. main difference with men's boards is that you won't find those sizes very often in the men's section.
td.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

A problem with men's boards could be the width. With small feet, you may want to stay with women's boards, as they are usually more narrow. (If the board is too wide, you loose leverage; it'll feel dull for edge to edge transition).

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I'm probably gonna go with the gnu b nice 142. For the width, how do I tell what's a good fit? I had a friend that explained that your toes and heel should be nearly touching the edge but no more than going slightly off the edge.
xs0ymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Thanks guys! I'm probably gonna go with the gnu b nice 142. For the width, how do I tell what's a good fit? I had a friend that explained that your toes and heel should be nearly touching the edge but no more than going slightly off the edge.
That's about right. Toes and heel can have a bit overhang.
I'd assume you don't need to worry with the width of that board. Women's boards are narrow anyway.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Resident poet

idk for fact...based on experience due to my small feet. But gnu are stiffer and perhaps a tad wider than roxy....so due to your puny runty stature...might want to do roxy and iirc ns infinity and saloman gypsy were even more soft/flexy
Old 09-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm about your size, a few inches shorter, and I ride youth boards. I check the stats and make sure the tech is all the same as the women's version, but I do keep in mind a youth board will probably be a little more soft. Typically I stay at a 136-138. Anything bigger than that is hard for me to manipulate and I don't get as much responsiveness from the board. I'm also not a speed demon and I like to play around the park and pop along the slopes, as well as cruise around the mountain. No bombing for me and we don't get deep powder here on the east coast. I also find that the smaller boards are easier to whip around lumpy snow once it gets to the end of the day.
My last board was a Burton Feelgood Smalls Flying V 135, which I really loved and progressed well on. But now that I've figured out which direction I want to take my riding, I've recently bought a Never Summer Onyx Mini at 136. It has the same exact tech as the women's board. I thought long and hard about upping it to a 140 women's board, but knowing my riding style and wanting to really rip up the park, I stayed at the size I'm comfortable with. I do know the NS Onyx Mini is a bit softer than the FG Smalls, so I'm hoping I can still cruise at a decent speed around the mountain if I choose to.

I guess the short version would be...I'm your size and I ride youth boards. I've progressed well on these boards and find that they are a really good fit for what I love to do on the mountain. I personally would find a 143 too large, but that's just me and my riding style. Good luck!
radiomuse210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gender, sizing, snowboard