Ride Antic... good for a beginner? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pete45

Default Ride Antic... good for a beginner?

Hi All,
OK so here's my deal... Went snowboarding for the first time recently and LOVED IT. Too bad I have to wait until next season to try again. Anyway, there are good deals on boards now since it is the end of the season and I was looking into the Antic by Ride. What do you guys think? Too advanced for a noob? I want something that will hold me for a while but not discourage progression. Some say it is an "Advanced Intermediate - Expert" board, yet others say it is a good all-arounder for beginners.

Here are my specs...
Skill Level: only one day under my belt but didn''t fall to bad (used to skateboard)
Height: 5ft 7in
Weight: 145-150 lbs (thin)
Shoe Size: 9.5 sneaker (9 or 10 boot)
Stance: regular
Intended Use: mostly cruising and carving, (no air or rails for a long while)

Board Specs:
SIZES: 151, 154, 157, 160, 163, 158 Wide, 162 Wide, 165 WIde
SHAPE: Twinish
TYPE: All mountain with slight directional shape
FLEX: Medium
Stance Setback:.75in
Stance Width:19-22in
Turn Radius:7.8m (@ 160cm)
Thin Con
90A Slimewalls®
Carbon Array 3™
Foundation Tuned Core™
Hybrid Glass
Carbon & Aramid Laminates
Fusion 4000 Base™
2x4 Inserts
Quadratic Sidecut

Should I choose something different? I have a choice between a 151 and a 158 wide in this board. Any suggestions for a different board.

Thanks in advance,
- Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
hawk45

I'm about your age and pretty new. This is what I ordered yesterday after looking at lots of boards. It should be good to learn on as well as when you move to intermediate. Has a lot going for it as an all mountain board. I just wouldn't go too big.. smaller will be easier for a noob. Do a search and you will probably see some of my other thread recently posted on this board as I was going though the same decison.

Go ahead and pull the trigger. SierraSnowboard has them for 50% off now.. can't go wrong.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pete45

Thanks for the advice man. Sierra just sold out of my size... found it somewhere else though.

Anyone else have any input?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's a good all-mountain/entry freestyle board comparable to the Rome Agent. It would be ideal to learn on as it isn't a noodle yet not a plank and only once you really specialize with jibs or pure steeps will you outgrow it skill-wise.

For size, I'm around your size (145-150, 5'8") and I ride a 151 all-mountain/park. It's really personal preference but if you're ignoring park and just going to be doing all-mountain/freeride might wanna take the 154 instead.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pete45

Hey thanks for the advice. Starting out a new sport/hobby, you often don't know what you "don't know" so forums like these really help out beginners like me. I am sure I will change my setup in a few years, but I have to start somewhere. Gonna try to take advantage of these end of season sales going on right now and get some deals on gear.

Thanks!!!
- Pete
Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
hawk45

Good deal man.. good luck. And don't worry.. the sales will be here again next year...
Old 03-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

It looks like a good board - it's new for this season. I'm looking for a board too and am considering Ride.
visibleinks is offline   Reply With Quote