Suggestions For a second board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Suggestions For a second board

Evening guys.

First off, I am around 180-182 lbs, 6'0" tall, hoping to maybe be at 185 when the season rolls around. I have several trips coming up (Killington for 3 days, NC/TN mountains, and a 10 day utah trip in 2015). I want to scoop up a second board before 2015, just to have my options open on that 10 day trip. I live in FL, so I can't do a whole lot of testing.

I purchased a 2014 Rome Agent rocker 159 brand new on ebay for 142 dollars. Talk about a steal. It's not the board I really wanted (wanted a 157), but for the price brand new I just could not pass it up.

Rocking around and spinning it/buttering it in my living room it feels a LITTLE big, maybe a tad stiff, but that's so hard to tell without actually riding it. I realize that. So, I think the rome is gonna be my "all mountain" board for deeper stuff at 159 and set back. I think I want to scoop up a 156-157 for freestyle, maybe learning park stuff, jibs, spins as I really want to get better at that stuff this season. Although, i do NOT want this board to be a dedicated park/jib stick, I still want this to be a one quiver board, maybe just a tad more versatile than my rome. Would like this to be a centered stance board as practicing switch is on my to do list this season too.

I have my eyes set on the Proto HD and that may very well be my addition (hell might even be my primary), just waiting for the 2015 to drop. Also looking at the machete 155/157, But, I wanted to get other opinions around here. Need this board to handle some ice as TN/NC mountains can be pretty damn icy!

Thanks!

Last edited by alxmlr789; 08-17-2014 at 11:10 PM.
alxmlr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I almost bought the Agent Rocker 1-2 years ago after trying one, so here is my 2 cents:
From what you are describing it makes no sense to get another board unless it is a dedicated park or pow/freeride board. The Rome is super versatile and should cover your all-mountain and general park needs easily, probably better than a Machete or Proto (I also looked at those).

And why do you think the 159 is too long? At your weight it sounds about perfect - I weight 25-30lbs less and would have gone with the 157 for myself. 159 also has more edge hold for the icy stuff.
SGboarder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGboarder View Post
I almost bought the Agent Rocker 1-2 years ago after trying one, so here is my 2 cents:
From what you are describing it makes no sense to get another board unless it is a dedicated park or pow/freeride board. The Rome is super versatile and should cover your all-mountain and general park needs easily, probably better than a Machete or Proto (I also looked at those).

And why do you think the 159 is too long? At your weight it sounds about perfect - I weight 25-30lbs less and would have gone with the 157 for myself. 159 also has more edge hold for the icy stuff.
I'm not sure if it's too long as I haven't ridden it, it just ~feels~ a little long and stiff hopping around on it in my living room. Maybe that's because I'm coming from a 156 burton V rocker Custom (not flying V).

I want to pick up another stick so I don't get bored with the Rome to to probably riding 15+ days this season(and maybe I will absolutely love it and not get sick of it). Just makes me nervous going out west with a board i've never ridden.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Any particular profile your looking for? Another hybrid rocker or thinking of trying something different? Asking for a good all mt freestyle board with no limitations other than size would be a pretty long list...
Brewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

my buddy rides his rome agent rocker in any conditions. it really is a versatile all mountain/freestyle board. works great in the park and most certainly is pressable/butterable.

ignore the title of this video, it was a joke but just goes to show you can most certainly press the board. Ashley Escott Promo Vid on Vimeo
Steezus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtown View Post
Any particular profile your looking for? Another hybrid rocker or thinking of trying something different? Asking for a good all mt freestyle board with no limitations other than size would be a pretty long list...
Either rocker or hybrid. Something a little softer than the agent. I've heard nothing but awesome things about the proto (not just from the NS fanboys), and wanted to see what the hype was about...BUT, wanted to check if there was something else I should be trying out.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxmlr789 View Post
Either rocker or hybrid. Something a little softer than the agent. I've heard nothing but awesome things about the proto (not just from the NS fanboys), and wanted to see what the hype was about...BUT, wanted to check if there was something else I should be trying out.
So let me get this straight.

You have:
a mid-flex, all-mountain, carbon reinforced camber-rocker-camber (near) twin with edge hold technology.
And you are looking at:
a mid-flex, all-mountain, carbon reinforced camber-rocker-camber (true) twin with almost the same edge hold technology.
Basically you already have a do-it-all board and you are considering getting another do-it-all board - and a really, really similar one at that.

Maybe I am a bit biased because I was comparing and researching exactly the same boards a while ago, but it makes no sense to me.

Last edited by SGboarder; 08-18-2014 at 09:31 AM.
SGboarder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGboarder View Post
So let me get this straight.

You have:
a mid-flex, all-mountain, carbon reinforced camber-rocker-camber (near) twin with edge hold technology.
And you are looking at:
a mid-flex, all-mountain, carbon reinforced camber-rocker-camber (true) twin with almost the same edge hold technology.
Basically you already have a do-it-all board and you are considering getting another do-it-all board - and a really, really similar one at that.

Maybe I am a bit biased because I was comparing and researching exactly the same boards a while ago, but it makes no sense to me.
I think my biggest "concern" would be that I get out there and dislike the Agent, which is why I would want to have something as a secondary. (again I've never ridden it, just scooped it up bc it was an awesome deal). Guess I am just looking for a second opinion. Right now I'm having the "buy both, sell one" mentality. Hah.

I'm worried that the rome is not going to be as nimble and responsive as I want it to be. I've read mixed reviews on the Rome.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

You got a real good deal on that Agent Rocker. What's your budget for the 2nd board looking like?
Simon Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Birch View Post
You got a real good deal on that Agent Rocker. What's your budget for the 2nd board looking like?

It's looking like the proto is 550ish. So, i'd like to stay under that if I can. Heck, I'll even go with last years model, doesn't matter to me! The more I save I can put towards an eaton truetrac on my truck hah.