Boards You Wish You Didn't Have - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boards You Wish You Didn't Have

How many of you are / were disappointed with a purchase? Give us not only the name of the deck, but more importantly, what was it about the board that disappointed you?

I'll start. I'm a solid intermediate rider, 200 lbs. Demo'd a LIB Lando 161 and thought I loved it. Bought it.

However, the more I rode it the more I realized how hard I had to ride it to get it to perform. I found it to be much stiffer than any other board I had rode and as a result, even at 200 lbs and a decent skill set, I really had to "manhandle" it on the hill and that got tiring after a half a day on the hill. It was also my first CRC board and I discovered that profile is not for me. It is probably going to the ski / board swap in October.
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I've really enjoyed every board i have ever bought, for riding, but i was disappointed by the Endeavour Vice and its extruded base, it always rode ok, but waxing and maintaining it was a pain in the arse, it always looked "burnt" and it would never really wax well...

Would i get rid of it, No, i will keep it as i actually enjoyed riding it, which is the most important, but the base was a huge let down... If they make it with a sintered base, then would snap it up...

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, NS Evo 157
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^ Stone grind the base if it looks that way, deep structure on a base like that is your friend.

There's only one board I regret owning and that was the Santa Cruz PantherPly aka Jon Kooley from like 2002. It had too much camber, the flex pattern was one of the most whack things in the world, and it never held an edge on anything.

Otherwise I would say I've been pretty lucky in the decks I've personally owned, reviewing is a different story. There are decks I wish I had never strapped on.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
...Otherwise I would say I've been pretty lucky in the decks I've personally owned, reviewing is a different story. There are decks I wish I had never strapped on.
…off topic, but i would imagine that list would make for an interesting read!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've ridden some death sleds. Then if you add in prototypes, that list just continues to grow.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Stone grind the base if it looks that way, deep structure on a base like that is your friend.
It's been done, not helped so much, but it was not an expensive board, and i did enjoy riding it, in most conditions, but sometimes the base would just bite and it used to freak me out... None of my other boards have ever done that, even in spring in slushy conditions, i have never had bite like that...

Will keep it as a board for abusing, and tight tree lines, will still get loads more fun out of it for sure... Haha

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, NS Evo 157
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Only board with which I've been disappointed is a C2 profile Lib Tech TRS.
Having owned a TRICE with the same C2 profile, I wanted a softer version of the same. The TRS was the one. Rave reviews and so on. Well, the softer flex didn't translate well for me and I found it difficult to feel the board at all. It was just - there - no life.

Available for sale to anyone who wants it btw.
157cm in excellent condition!
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

2012 Burton Custom Flying V, just couldn't get on with the camber profile was a pain to skate off lifts just wanted to turn straight away (usually into an unsuspecting skier). Wasn't too enjoyable on hard pack, rode it for a week and flogged it and bought a Travis Rice Pro.
francium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Forum Youngblood (full reverse camber, think they called it chillydog) and rome reverb rocker. These were the first couple of boards I picked up after about an 8 year hiatus from snowboarding as I wanted to try some of the new camber profiles. My previous board was a ride yukon, so in retrospect this was just a dumb purchase on my part, but these things scared the hell out of me anytime I picked up speed. Took me another four years until I was willing to even step on another board with center reverse camber.
Brewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

2014 Burton Nug 142 Flying V Restricted.

- First thing I disliked is the EST channel system. I prefer a prefect 15/-15 duct stance, and I found with the channel system it just moves everywhere so its hard the get it exact and even.
- Board is heavy.
- Noes and tail is not blunt. Therefore the Nug 142 is not that much shorter then my Never Summer Evo 151.
- Because you place the bindings so close to the nose and tail. I found that sometimes when would be pushing myself to the chair lift or if i was on a flat spot. Once or twice, I have "flipped over the handle bars" and looked stupid.
- Also i find the channel system on the nug, placed a bit too close together (example, because its a shorter board you would expect the wholes to be a bit close to the nose and tale "about the same width apart as a snowboard 10cm bigger. However, the spacing has the width for a kid.)
roboelmo is offline   Reply With Quote