Backcountry - hard decision - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Backcountry - hard decision

Hi all,
I will subscribe for a backcountry base course this winter. I plan using cheap snowshoes for the beginning, and my current board: Ride Highlife'13 158. I am 72-75 kg (160-165 lbs)

If I like it I will save money and buy a split board next year.

Do you think I should rather wait to see if BC is my thing, using my HL for the time being, and then invest heavily in a good quality split next year OR I should buy a Charlie Slasher 161, which I can get now pretty cheap (250€) and later make it a split if I want?
Panduri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

splitting a cheap board...is easy and cheap...the expense is the other stuff....poles, probe, beacon, pack, skins, bindings.

around here you can find used stuff which isn't a bad way to start...splits with bindings and skins from $400-600, pack, shovel, probe and poles for $20 each and transeivers for $100 ....so $800 isn't bad imo
Old 08-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Roll with what you have for right now and see how it goes.

I love my Charlie Slasher, but I'm honestly not sure how it would hold up as a split. I also wouldn't want it as my only split. It's a dedicated pow stick through and through. Not great in variable conditions. I'd go for a burlier built, more well rounded stick for a split.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

As someone who did exactly the same thing 3 seasons ago I recommend you try it out with shoes first.
One its cheap and easy to master walking on snowshoes.
Two its hard work so if you can handle that you have passed the physical test, splitting will be easy compared to that but technique is required.

Once you decide to kit up with a split it gets expensive. Board, skins, bindings, crampons and what seems like a million other things that everyone around you has in their pack.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I live in Europe, the second hand market is not so developed here unfortunately

ETM thank you too. I have the same feeling about it. My doubt is if my current board Highlife will be sufficient for the beginning

linvillegorge - thanks for the input, I think you are right about the Charlie. Actually the more I think about it, the more convinced I am the HL will handle it. Too bad I didn't buy 160, but I thought I will use it for resort pow/groomers only.

Last edited by Panduri; 08-19-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Panduri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you are at all handy and have access to some basic tools, you could split your own. I know a few boards are now made with a strip of abs or other material down the middle for the purpose of splitting but that is not needed. You can split damn near any board. You would just need a Voilé DIY split kit. Check out the do it yourself section of the forums on splitboard.com
taco tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here is part 1 of a video on how to do it. Part 2 is the first related video. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CPSAGraCXgc
Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

One more thing. Check this page out from time to time if you decide to look for used gear. Splitboard.com Forums • View forum - Splitboard Swap
I am pretty sure several of the members are from Europe. I got a prior board, spark bindings w/crampons and g3 skins for $750 from someone there a year or so ago.

Last edited by taco tuesday; 08-19-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Split your own, and use these.

PROWDER, Rethink snowboarding

Reduces the amount of hole drilling in the board. Don't go out and invest in a splitboard until you know your terrain and what you want from the board your going to use. I personally wouldn't recommend using snowshoes as they are a bitch to hike in, and you will like fresh turns and you will like hiking for your turns, and you will like being in the BC. Just split your own board, get out a few times, get your avy cert, figure out what you want and buy one in a year or two. They are getting cheaper every year.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I Got a brand new jones solution for $350 on geartrade from the nideker rep out of Seattle last summer. I also Got a lightly used one for my son this spring for $240.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote