Please help finding the right set-up! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help finding the right set-up!

Hey guy's I am trying to buy a new set up for the upcoming season, going into my second year of riding. First year I tried out a couple buddies boards, ended up buying a second hand 159 Endeavor High 5 but hate the shit out of it. Way to hard to turn for me, and felt not wide enough. I'd say I am past the beginner stage of progression and into early intermediate. I have read up on different styles of boards but most of this info is going in one ear going out the other kind of thing. Easy to say I don't really know what I want and need.

Basically I am trying to get some help to find the right set-up for me, being board / bindings. A bit about me i'm 5'11 (181cm), 172 lbs (78kg) but fluctuate in weight from 165 - 175 lbs throughout the year. Size 11 (Canadian) feet. I ride in Banff National Park in Canada so lots of fresh pow usually, but ice as well from lots of winds. I went into the Source here today and buddy was trying to get me on a 159cm Lib Tech Banana board but I wanted to ask on here before I made a purchase.

I am not really a park rider, but a more free-ride / all-mountain rider. I like response from my board but a bit forgiving i'd say. Looking for stability at high speeds. What would you guy's recommend for a board/binding combo for me. I'll reply quick to any questions as well. Thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback!

Last edited by kolsen22; 08-20-2014 at 12:58 AM.
kolsen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

For a particular riding use, you're going to get the best results from boards designed for that use.

I like Lib boards and for me they work good all-mountain. NOTE- I said "for me" because it really comes down to subjective preferences for each person.

For me the Banana I would say is more park oriented. Where if you went to a C2 profile it is more versatile between park and off-piste. Although it won't stand up to a free-ride designed board for off-piste use.

I haven't tried all the boards, but from all that I have tried for free ride I like the Jones Flagship and Rossignol XV; depending on the conditions and qualities of the snow.

Good luck in your quest, as I'm sure you'll get 100's of opinions. The best I can say is to demo as many different boards as you can and even rent for a day different board profiles. Find what works for you and also remember that what works great for you today is subjective to be different next month.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm, so i've gotten a little list going and if anyone can chime in on these boards it would be appreciated - so far i've been looking at (based on reading couple of these threads)

Burton Custom Flying V
Lib Tech TRS XC2 BTX
Never Summer Proto

Any other suggestions / feedback or opinions?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Since your going into your 2nd season check out this thread on the different type of boards to get a better idea of what kind of board you think would fit you best for your type of riding and the conditions you ride in and post what type you thinks fits you best and people can make more recommendations.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html
Simon Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

^ Like I wrote before, honestly reading all of that makes absolutely zero sense for me, just kind of looking for opinions on what boards would best suite me
Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well I would suggest starting out with a board with a medium flex so it's more forgiving and easier to learn on. The TRS and Proto you mentioned would be good. Some other boards to look at to get and idea are

Rossignol Templar
Never Summer SL
Rome Artifact (full camber though so it won't float as well in deep pow)
K2 Happy Hour
Ride Machete
etc etc etc

If where you ride demo's boards I would go that route as well. I wouldn't buy an expensive board to start out with since you might hate it and the base profile. Also what's your budget range at?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'll definitely take a look at those thank you! I definitely need something that's decent in pow forsure as we get lots of powder days out here in Banff -- I'm am pretty flexible on price, don't have a strict budget at all.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There are a metric shit ton of boards out there on the market that could potentially work for you. My suggestion is to try to demo some boards with different camber profiles to see what you like. There's no right or wrong answer there, but you'll probably find that one "speaks" to you more than others.

In terms of float in pow, there's a lot more to it than just camber profile.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolsen22 View Post
going into my second year of riding.

but a more free-ride / all-mountain rider. I like response from my board but a bit forgiving i'd say. Looking for stability at high speeds.
look for an all mtn twin or directional twin in a crc or rcr profile, med flex in a 154-158.

as for stability at high speeds and float in pow...don't worry about it...you ain't going that fast yet...and your speed wobbles are from lack of technique/skills...not the board
Old 08-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolsen22 View Post
I'll definitely take a look at those thank you! I definitely need something that's decent in pow forsure as we get lots of powder days out here in Banff -- I'm am pretty flexible on price, don't have a strict budget at all.
Look into the Yes Pick Your Line and the NS Cobra as well. The PYL might be a tad little stiffer than a 2nd season person should try, but this board has received nothing but great reviews from people who rode it in conditions you mentioned.