Casual snowboarder looking for a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Casual snowboarder looking for a board

Hi guys, I'm just a casual snowboarder, who usually just goes a couple times a year, but I would still like to own my own snowboard instead of the crappy rental ones that are never the same size, so I can gradually get better and get used to my own not smelly gear.

I only go to parks (in Arizona, yes, we have snow), so I was thinking maybe a lighter, more freestyle kinda board, because I skateboard, and that is what feels familiar for me. I'd still like the board to feel controlled when I pick up speed, but agile when I'm going slow, which is often, because I'm not that good haha.

I was hoping to not spend too much either. I'm not going to spend over $300, and I was hoping to find one quite a bit cheaper, perhaps a 2014 model in the off season.

Thanks brahs.

Also, I'm 5'7, 130 pounds, and ride goofy.
UnseenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnseenK View Post
Hi guys, I'm just a casual snowboarder, who usually just goes a couple times a year, but I would still like to own my own snowboard instead of the crappy rental ones that are never the same size, so I can gradually get better and get used to my own not smelly gear.

I only go to parks (in Arizona, yes, we have snow), so I was thinking maybe a lighter, more freestyle kinda board, because I skateboard, and that is what feels familiar for me. I'd still like the board to feel controlled when I pick up speed, but agile when I'm going slow, which is often, because I'm not that good haha.

I was hoping to not spend too much either. I'm not going to spend over $300, and I was hoping to find one quite a bit cheaper, perhaps a 2014 model in the off season.

Thanks brahs.

Also, I'm 5'7, 130 pounds, and ride goofy.
look for a 2013/2014 arbor formula 148
I rode this last season (2013) model and was good to help me progress to the next level

they are reasonable and a good all around board

See an expert review here
2014 Arbor Formula Snowboard Used and Reviewed -

Last edited by larrytbull; 08-22-2014 at 02:21 PM.
larrytbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

is that $300 for snowboard, binding and boots? or just snowboard?
td.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Pretty much anything that is soft to medium-soft in flex and some form of alternative camber (flat with rocker, camber/rocker/camber, etc) would fit the bill here. Virtually every company under the sun makes a board that fits this criteria. Just pick one that fits into your budget and has graphics that you like.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

What website do you guys recommend? I used the-house once, and I had a few....issues.

And I didn't consider the bindings. So $300 including everything.
UnseenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

use dogfunk.com which is the same as backcountry.com and whiskeymilita.com and steepandcheep.com

Right now there are boards, bindings and boots on sale at either whiskey or steepandcheap.
ekb18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

$300 for everything? You're looking for used. Better start checking the local Craigslist. If you need boots too, buy them first and buy the ones that fit you best. Then you know what you have for leftover budget to buy a board and bindings.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Check the for sale section on this forum if you want to only spend $300 for everything..
ekb18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Sounds like a job for timmytard
larrytbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Forgot about this one.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ion-force.html

Buy that setup. That's the best you're gonna do and it's not bad by any means. You can probably find boots that fit you well on sell for $100. Might have to go beyond that budget a tad, but not too much if you shop smart.