Purchasing new board/bindings/boots - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Purchasing new board/bindings/boots

Hello All,

Last season I started riding. Took lessons and finished the season with rental equipment. Many of my snowboard/ski buddies have told me that my progression will be faster if I purchase my own board. So I have sought out beginner boards. I think I have found a great one and I think the price is really good for boots, board, and bindings. I want to list them and see if any of you have an opinion on the price or maybe a different board that I should try. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Burton Clash Snowboard 2014- $215.90
Burton Custom Snowboard Bindings 2014 - $120.19
Burton Moto Snowboard Boots 2014 - $120.90

This is a part of the labor day weekend sale so they are drastically discounted. Thanks again for your help.
Milbrat19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Welcome to the forum!

It would help to get some additional information so the members on here can give you an informed recommendation. Tell us a bit about yourself: Height, Weight, male or female, and preferred riding style (all mountain, park, etc.). Do you have a preference for camber, rocker or hybrid yet? It would also help to know how far along you progressed last season -- can you link turns confidently? What aspects are you looking to progress in?

The Burton Clash is really a very beginner board and you'll likely outgrow it pretty quickly. You may be better off investing in a board that you can grow into, rather than quickly grow out of. Post some of the info listed above and I'm sure you'll get some great recommendations.

That said, the most important thing you'll see everyone talk about on here is your boots. You should really try those on in person and make sure that you focus on getting boots that fit properly.

Good luck!
DevilWithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

The board and bindings will be fine for a beginner setup. Depending how often you get to ride, you may progress pretty fast and want to update sooner rather then later. The best boots are the boots that fit your feet the best. Go to a store and try on as many boots as they have and see what fits the best.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The board and bindings will be fine for a beginner setup. Depending how often you get to ride, you may progress pretty fast and want to update sooner rather then later. The best boots are the boots that fit your feet the best. Go to a store and try on as many boots as they have and see what fits the best.
QFT.

Good beginner setup otherwise
Lamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm male, 6'4, 195lbs. I prefer all-mountain board and I haven't tried enough of the differing camber styles to know which one I would prefer. Last season I went up to the mountain at least twice a week and will probably doing the same this season. I progressed pretty decently I believe. I am pretty good at linking turns, not the best though. But practice makes perfect. Speed doesn't make me nervous anymore either. I think the most important aspect that I want to get better at is linking my turns. My friends are not experts but they are pretty advanced and I would like to get to where I can at least some what keep up with them on the trails.

Next weekend is ski bonkers and it is a huge tent sale event where all the ski/board shops from Washington come out and sale gear and stuff. I'm looking to buy my equipment at the event. When you say that I need to find boots that fit my feet the best...are you just talking about comfortability or...?
Old 08-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

There are guys on here that know a lot more about boot fitting than I do. Everyone's foot is shaped differently and the different brands all work best with different types of feet. The most important thing to do is try them on and walk around in them for a bit to make sure there aren't any pressure points, heel lift or toes that are curling. You want them to be tight and snug...they will pack out a bit after use. Also, most stock insoles are garbage. You'd do well to invest in some higher quality insoles. Here is a review of Remind insoles snowklinger wrote: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...c-insoles.html

Also, here is an overview that wiredsport wrote on the different board profiles: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html

Another forum member has a great review site that you should check out: - The Angry Snowboarder Keeping It Real Since Day Seven -
Old 08-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident poet

I'm male, 6'4, 195lbs. I prefer all-mountain board and I haven't tried enough of the differing camber styles to know which one I would prefer. Last season I went up to the mountain at least twice a week and will probably doing the same this season.

At that size and going 2/wk...skip the Clash and all beginner boards (u will quickly progress beyond) and go for at least a quality intermediate and perhaps an advanced board with at least a mid flex.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, that is what it is starting to look like. So I am going to definitely go and try on some boots first and first most. And when it comes to my board, I am thinking with all of your advice that an intermediate board would probably suit me better so I'm not trying to buy another board at mid season.

What exactly is the flex though? I read a lot of article about flex and the difference between softer and harder flex. For an all-mountain board...is mid-flex good?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yep, a mid flex board (and boots/bindings) is a great place to start with for an All Mountain Setup!!!!!

Once you've worn the crap out of that gear, you'll know whether ya wanna go for a softer or harder feel in ya next ride!!!!!

And great to see someone that has taken the good advice that was given above!!!!!

You WILL not only be Savin ya cash in the long run, but you'll progress and enjoy ridin a whole lot more!!!!!
Mizu Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Good luck getting some great fitting boots. By the way, what size shoe do you typically wear? Just making sure you don't need a wide board. Assuming you don't, here are some boards you may want to check out. I'm assuming last season's boards for all of the great deals. Also, check the board specs to determine best size for your weight. You'll probably want to find the smaller board in your weight range to help you progress from beginner.

Burton Custom (camber)
Burton Custom (Flying V)
Burton Process (camber)
Burton Process (Flying V)

Neversummer SL
Neversummer Proto HD

Yes The Basic

K2 Raygun

Gnu Carbon Credit

Arbor Formula

Tags