Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   First Snowboards Help (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/144970-first-snowboards-help.html)

Cypherzion751 08-27-2014 04:04 AM

First Snowboards Help

Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend are looking at picking up our first snowboards but need a little help.

I am 5'11", 240lbs (lost 75 lbs and still losing), size 10.5 wide shoes, looking for an all mountain board and live in the seattle area. My goal weight is 200 if that matters at all. I have been looking at the GNU Carbon Credit, but can't decide on size. I am hoping that it will last for at least a few years as an AM board for me. The two sizes I have been looking at are 159 and 162. I figure that I don't need a wide board but correct me if I am wrong. I figure that the longer board will be more stable while the shorter board will have less swing weight and will be easier to learn on. I am still working on linking turns but I am hooked. What do you guys think would be better for me?

My GF is good on sizing, but can't decide between the Rome Vinyl and GNU B-Nice. the GNU costs $100 more. Is the extra premium worth it or should she just go with the Rome? Does Magne-traction really make that much of a difference on icy days? She is a beginner who is still trying to link turns as well. we weren't able to make it up very often because we started late in the season.

We will probably be going to snoqualmie, stevens, crystal or baker. Thanks for the help :)

kosmoz 08-27-2014 04:33 AM

You don't need wide with your boot size.

First season could be on a board which is to small for you weight, but will be good for your weight next season. You won't brake a board and you won't charge it so hard in first season, that edge of shorter board won't handle what you throw at it, so if 159 will be good for you future weight - go for it.

Magne traction is a game changer on ice, but think about conditions you will be boarding, do you need it, do you see ice so much? I don't, but I'm not in east coast, I'm in Europe :)

larrytbull 08-27-2014 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cypherzion751 (Post 1791890)
Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend are looking at picking up our first snowboards but need a little help.

I am 5'11", 240lbs (lost 75 lbs and still losing), size 10.5 wide shoes, looking for an all mountain board and live in the seattle area. My goal weight is 200 if that matters at all. I have been looking at the GNU Carbon Credit, but can't decide on size. I am hoping that it will last for at least a few years as an AM board for me. The two sizes I have been looking at are 159 and 162. I figure that I don't need a wide board but correct me if I am wrong. I figure that the longer board will be more stable while the shorter board will have less swing weight and will be easier to learn on. I am still working on linking turns but I am hooked. What do you guys think would be better for me?

My GF is good on sizing, but can't decide between the Rome Vinyl and GNU B-Nice. the GNU costs $100 more. Is the extra premium worth it or should she just go with the Rome? Does Magne-traction really make that much of a difference on icy days? She is a beginner who is still trying to link turns as well. we weren't able to make it up very often because we started late in the season.

We will probably be going to snoqualmie, stevens, crystal or baker. Thanks for the help :)

I have almost the same specs as you my weight fluctuates between 215-230 same shoe size. I found that I only needed the 10.5 to deal with my wide toebox. You probably want to go to a good bootfitter to get the boots dialed in, I wound up going with Flow's size 10 as their boots were a bit wider, only way to relly know is to try them on and walk around a bit. In burton's The 10.5 did the trick.
As for board size Most of the boards spec out at around 210 at the high side with weight range
usually it is the 158-161 range. Given I fluctuate a lot, I went to the higher end of 160-161 if you think you are going to do park, then go with the smaller one, if you just want to bomb the mountain go larger.
Given your weight goals you also may want to go to stiffer end of boots/bindings as they will flex a bit more than the lighter guys.

As for magnatraction, I can't speak for gnu as I have not ridden anything with magnetractions, but I ride an arbor with griptech, which is a little less aggressive side cut, and it definitely does help on the icy conditions In the east coast. I can certainly tell the difference riding the griptech vs not. so It's not a bad thing,

also @ 10.5 no need for wide board, but get those kickers to a boot fitter to see if you can size down

Hope some of this helps. Also my standard disclaimer. I am going into my third season, I am just moving in to intermediate level. so take this advice for what it is worth

wrathfuldeity 08-27-2014 06:22 AM

get mag it was made here in the pnw...it works...esp for beginners/intermediate to not so much at the advanced and not necessary for expert.

Cypherzion751 08-29-2014 04:21 AM

After going back and forth, I eventually settled on the 162 GNU CC. Thank you for all the advice! :)