old man-Will too wide a waist of the board hurt or help me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default old man-Will too wide a waist of the board hurt or help me?

Ok, so Im looking to buy my first board after a total of 10 days snowboarding over the course of 8 years.

I was going to pull the trigger on a Burton wide board until the salesperson stopped me.

I'm 5'9 , 165 lbs and boot is 9.5 size. She was telling me that it was too wide for me.

What are the effects of too wide a board? Im looking for a v-rocker(if that is right, something LEAST to catch edges) as my primary goal. Im almost 40 and just want to ride the mountain easy and have young kids in tow that are also learning.

It looked like a good deal(325) for a Burton wide with bindings included but I don't want to be pennywise, pound foolish. Should I really NOT consider the wide board? How will it affect my riding?

Thanks for the consideration.
dieseld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseld View Post
Ok, so Im looking to buy my first board after a total of 10 days snowboarding over the course of 8 years.

I was going to pull the trigger on a Burton wide board until the salesperson stopped me.

I'm 5'9 , 165 lbs and boot is 9.5 size. She was telling me that it was too wide for me.

What are the effects of too wide a board? Im looking for a v-rocker(if that is right, something LEAST to catch edges) as my primary goal. Im almost 40 and just want to ride the mountain easy and have young kids in tow that are also learning.

It looked like a good deal(325) for a Burton wide with bindings included but I don't want to be pennywise, pound foolish. Should I really NOT consider the wide board? How will it affect my riding?

Thanks for the consideration.
Pound foolish. Everything is on sale and 325 isn't doing you any real favors price wise.
f00bar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

And that's the sale price, board & bindings.

Since I really have no clue whats a good buy or not, I had to ask.

I was partial to Burton only b/c is a brand name but the sales person was pointing me toward Morrow boards, saying it was a bit better for a learner and also a better buy. but as I said, I don't want to be pennywise, pound foolish.

So any recommendations? I realize their sales right now are all 2013-14 inventory....

Lastly, another 40ish Dad advised on Never Summer boards... Any thoughts there?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

No way you need (…or want) a wide board with 9.5 sized boots. The result of going with a wide board when you don't need one is you will have to work a lot harder to get the board up on an edge! That's going to make learning to turn properly harder. Not impossible, but it will definitely make you work for it!

…and if you're a "gummer" like me? I was 50 when I learned to ride almost 4 years ago. (On a wide board that I didn't need with my 10.5 boots btw) Why make more work for yourself?

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 08-27-2014 at 09:06 AM.
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Resident poet

Get a regular waisted board. A board that is too wide will be sluggish, difficult to turn and to leverage your edge and thus will be more likely to catch an edge. I'd also recommend getting an intermediate/advanced "all mtn" twin in a 154/155. Something like a gnu rider's choice with mag and c2btx which offers alot of control and capicity for improvement.

btw...boots are the most important...spare no effort and no expense to get the best fitting boots. Btw I started at 44 with the kids...best thing ever...12 years ago and my kids still will let dear old day hang for a few laps.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 08-27-2014 at 09:20 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't get the wide. Energy transfer to your edges will be reduced significantly. You need that energy to make turns properly.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
Don't get the wide. Energy transfer to your edges will be reduced significantly. You need that energy to make turns properly.
…not to mention conserving energy for trying to keep up with and chasing after the "Kids in Tow" you mentioned!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Another vote here against a Wide Ride!!!!!

Have a look at a YES Basic!!!!! (156) Rocker/Camber/Rocker Hybrid!!!!!

A great board that pretty much caters for every situation, and one that will still progress as you do!!!!!
Mizu Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks all! Loving these shout outs!

No Go on the wide for sure!

Quote:
"also recommend getting an intermediate/advanced "all mtn" twin in a 154/155."
What's a twin imply?

Quote:
"Something like a gnu rider's choice with mag and c2btx which offers alot of control and capicity for improvement."

I'll ask about this. I assume a Gnu Rider is a brand but what are mag and c2btx?

Thanks all! I'm 39, hitting the gym and ripping to core to better myself and enjoy it!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseld View Post
What's a twin imply?

I'll ask about this. I assume a Gnu Rider is a brand but what are mag and c2btx?
39 really isn't old by any standard...

Twin implies both the front and the rear of the board are mirror images of each other. They are the same. Great for riding switch since they are center stanced (meaning you stand in the middle of the board naturally).

"Gnu" is the brand.
"Mag" magnetraction
"c2btx" is the board profile. Its a hybrid camber
Maierapril is offline   Reply With Quote