Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Please help me choose - Flow Merc Set vs Salomon Sequence Set (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/144994-please-help-me-choose-flow-merc.html)

Johnny Russian 08-27-2014 10:35 AM

Please help me choose - Flow Merc Set vs Salomon Sequence Set

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and hope you guys and gals can help me with a decision between two different snowboard sets. I've been pondering this for quite a while and am completely stuck which is why I've turned here for advice.

The sets are as follows:
Set 1: Flow Merc 12/13 season board with Burton Freestyle bindings and Burton Moto boots
Set 2: Salomon Sequence 13/14 season board with Salomon Rhythm X bindings and Salomon Faction boots.

Both sets are almost exactly the same price so that's not an issue. Based on the research I've done the Salomon Sequence seems to be a slightly better board than the Flow Merc, but the Burton bindings and boots seem to be a bit better than the Salomon bindings and boots. Is this true or is there only a slight difference? I know that bindings and boots are probably more important than the board, so based on that would the Flow Merc set be better to go with?

A little bit of background about myself:
I weigh around 65kg (143 pounds).
I'm a beginner, and I've only been boarding for one season
I ride in South Korea. The snow quality here is not the greatest - most of it is man-made, there's very little powder (although you do get fresh snowfall on occasion), and the slopes can get pretty hard and icy sometimes.
I'm interested in getting good resale value from the set I buy because I might only be using it for 2 more seasons before I decide to sell it.

Anyway I think that's it, many thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Mizu Kuma 08-27-2014 11:09 AM

While I can't help with any of the gear ya mentioned, I'd step up from the Burton Freestyles to at least a pair of Missions!!!!!

And as for boots, you really should try them on!!!!!

2 seasons in boots that don't fit, and you'll really regret not tryin some on first!!!!!

Johnny Russian 08-27-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizu Kuma (Post 1792330)
While I can't help with any of the gear ya mentioned, I'd step up from the Burton Freestyles to at least a pair of Missions!!!!!

And as for boots, you really should try them on!!!!!

2 seasons in boots that don't fit, and you'll really regret not tryin some on first!!!!!

cool, thanks for the advice man, appreciate it! :thumbsup:

i'd love a set of Missions, read good things about them, but unfortunately they're a bit out of my price range. here in South Korea they cost about US$150 more than the Freestyle bindings. I could get the Flow Merc with a set of Flow Five SE, The Five, or Flite 2 bindings with the Moto boots for the same price.

I've tried on both sets of boots and they both seem to fit OK. haven't ridden on either though, although I've read really good things about the Moto boots being great beginner's boots.

larrytbull 08-27-2014 11:41 AM

do yourself a favor an replace footbeds with quality ones like reminds. the ones in the motos are as thin as paper. you feet will thank you for it

Mizu Kuma 08-27-2014 11:42 AM

Both Burton and Salomon make good boots, so whatever fitted you best will be the right choice!!!!!

Justin 08-27-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Russian (Post 1792362)
cool, thanks for the advice man, appreciate it! :thumbsup:

i'd love a set of Missions, read good things about them, but unfortunately they're a bit out of my price range. here in South Korea they cost about US$150 more than the Freestyle bindings. I could get the Flow Merc with a set of Flow Five SE, The Five, or Flite 2 bindings with the Moto boots for the same price.

I've tried on both sets of boots and they both seem to fit OK. haven't ridden on either though, although I've read really good things about the Moto boots being great beginner's boots.

Not 100% sure but i would guess both of the five bindings would be better than the burton freestyle bindings.