another snowboard size question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
mav

Default another snowboard size question

My wife and I just started snowboarding this season. Took the lessons, being using the rental boards (Burton LTR 150 for me and Burton LTR 130 for her). It's time for us to buy our first board and I thought I'll ask for expert advice on what size would work best.

Here are the basics...

Me - 5'6", 145lbs, size 8 boot.
Her - 5'0", 120lbs, size 5 boot.

I played with the snowboard size calculator on Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator.

It recommended a 151 for me and 141 for her.

I'm looking to buy a Burton Custom 151 for me and Troop 141 for her. Would a 154 (Custom) and 146 (Troop) work better? Any advice?

Last edited by mav; 03-10-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

those are actually pretty accurate sizes i would say, which is rare from the calculator.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

those seem like about the right sizes (calc sizes) for the both of your assuming that you guys will be going into all mtn. boarding. the custom would be something that you woulld deff row into but it is your choice based on you knowing how fast you learn. the troop seems like a good choice, i have actually ridden one when it was my second time on a board and the troop was a really nice rental for me cause im really light weight. however it seems like you are limiting yourself to only burton boards which i think would be a mistake, and it is one that a lot of begginners make, myself included cause most people learn ridding burton rental gear and want to ride the biggest company out there. there are some really great boards and some great deals going on now. I would look at Snowboards and check out the brands that they have there and then look up the brands at their site and really search for what you want.

Some of the more respected brands on this forum are prob.
-capita
-lib tech
-gnu
-rome
-bataleon

just look around on the forums here for any more brands, those listed above are not the only companies that make some good boards, but just some that are comming to my head right now.

but i would keep reading posts on here about boards and then make a decision, you can learn a lot here. Also, if you find a board you like onlinem you can search for a review on the board here to see if anyone has ridden it or jsut start a thread on it.
twin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bluebird

When I bought my first board I made the mistake of putting too much money into it, so I wasn't willing to throw it around like I had been with the rentals. I would lean away from Burton for your first board, the advice above is good :-)
Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin89 View Post
those seem like about the right sizes (calc sizes) for the both of your assuming that you guys will be going into all mtn. boarding. the custom would be something that you woulld deff row into but it is your choice based on you knowing how fast you learn. the troop seems like a good choice, i have actually ridden one when it was my second time on a board and the troop was a really nice rental for me cause im really light weight. however it seems like you are limiting yourself to only burton boards which i think would be a mistake, and it is one that a lot of begginners make, myself included cause most people learn ridding burton rental gear and want to ride the biggest company out there. there are some really great boards and some great deals going on now. I would look at Snowboards and check out the brands that they have there and then look up the brands at their site and really search for what you want.

Some of the more respected brands on this forum are prob.
-capita
-lib tech
-gnu
-rome
-bataleon

just look around on the forums here for any more brands, those listed above are not the only companies that make some good boards, but just some that are comming to my head right now.

but i would keep reading posts on here about boards and then make a decision, you can learn a lot here. Also, if you find a board you like onlinem you can search for a review on the board here to see if anyone has ridden it or jsut start a thread on it.
i agree as well but you still cant go wrong with the custom..
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
zackoz

I am Similiar in Weight/height and ride a Burton Custom 151 ICS.
Its a good board but you may find it a little stiff, if your coming straight off the rental things.
however saying that it would only mean a few more bumps, and bruises for a week or too, then you set
and you have a super sweet deck.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
mav

Thanks all.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

hah same here 145 lbs able to ride my 151 jibpan all-mountain.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote