Opinions on camber style - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Opinions on camber style

Hey all, thinking of purchasing a new board but looking at the different camber styles. I am thinking about purchasing rocker/flat/rocker but also looking at rocker/camber/rocker boards. Can someone explain the difference between the two styles and/or your personal preferences? That would help me.

I'm leaning more towards an all-mountain type board. I don't really plan on hitting the park really. I just want a powerful board that can still have some float in the pow. Thanks.
Milbrat19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rocker/Flat/Rocker is for a park or jib board. It gives you a loose feel when buttering and jibbing and will be sketchy when hitting higher speeds. Although this will give you great float in powder.

Rocker/Camber/Rocker is also a good profile for a park board that is more for jumping because of the camber under feet. It will still have a looser feel to it. But this will give you decent float in pow.

If you want an All mountain board you probably shouldn't be looking for rocker dominant boards. If you're really set on going with a hybrid camber I would look into a Camber/Rocker/Camber board. It gives you a really stable platform on groomers because of the camber dominant profile and when you're in powder the rockered center will help you float. The cambered tip and tail will give you good pop for ollies and nollies.

I have two boards that I ride the most. I have a 156 Gnu space case for my all mountain board and a 152 Rome garage rocker for the days when its slushy and I don't want to destroy my main stick. the space case has ec2btx which is mervins way of saying elliptical camber in the tip and tail and rocker under foot. This is a great profile for an everyday ripper. It's the board I ride in the park, on groomers, and in the powder. It holds up really well to everything, but I saw it excel most in a bigger park and its a fun carving board. My garage rocker is flat between the insert packs and a small amount of rocker on the outside of the inserts. the flat rocker combo felt looser and it's better for jibbing because of the nice flat base that stuck to the rails like glue.

If this is your first board purchase I would honestly go and demo a couple different boards with different profiles at your local hill. If that isn't possible definitely consider a camber/rocker/camber or a camber/flat/camber for an all mountain board that will do everything.

Some suggestions for an all mountain/ pow board would be Lib's Hot knife, Nitro's Uberspoon, Bataleon's Whatever (only if you want TBT), Gnu's BillyGoat, and salomon's Man's Board.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Mammoth Lifty; 08-30-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Mammoth Lifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

There are already a number of great discussions on similar topics to be found on the forum. I'd start out here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html
DevilWithin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Companies with rcr options include capita, rossignol, yes, ride, salomon, jones and more.

Not the best source for reviews but the filter lets you see some hybrid camber options.
Snowboard Reviews - The Good Ride
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rocker-Flat-Rocker = more versatile, better float.

Rocker-Camber-Rocker = more aggressive, better pop.

All depends which sort of riding you want to do, and the specifics of each board (like stiffness, ammount of rocker/camber etc).
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
Rocker-Flat-Rocker = more versatile, better float.

Rocker-Camber-Rocker = more aggressive, better pop.

All depends which sort of riding you want to do, and the specifics of each board (like stiffness, ammount of rocker/camber etc).
F1EA nailed it!! Just add one thing, rCr = mostly camber small amount of rocker, RipSaw, HotKnife, Darker Series super aggressive also......
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDogWax View Post
F1EA nailed it!! Just add one thing, rCr = mostly camber small amount of rocker, RipSaw, HotKnife, Darker Series super aggressive also......
Sorry CrC
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote