all around backcountry snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default all around backcountry snowboard

So I posted a thread earlier about wanting a new all mountain board but I have changed my mind and would like to get a backcountry board. I need a board that can handle all aspects of backcountry/ on resort powder days because in WV there are usually icy spots and I need a board that has some abilities on a groomer when necessary. Thanks for the help. (Yes PYL is looking pretty sweet)
Cmac_spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hovercraft.
francium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Rooster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by francium View Post
Hovercraft.
what a shitty, stupid, and completely wrong answer.

first things first... are you really riding backcountry? got a snowmobile? if the answers to these questions are Yes; No - then you need a splitboard. get an all mt shape not a pow-only board like the hovercraft - which fucking sucks on ice.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post

first things first... are you really riding backcountry? got a snowmobile? if the answers to these questions are Yes; No - then you need a splitboard. get an all mt shape not a pow-only board like the hovercraft - which fucking sucks on ice.

I actually use my hover-split on everything from deep days to crusty / icey (but not blue ice) and have never had a problem with it.

It isn't the best on those non-pow conditions but if you aren't searching for powder why are you in the backcountry to get begin with? It is only shit luck that you get to your spot and find out the conditions aren't as good as reported.

A solution or carbon solution from Jones line will give you a more all-around shape and will do better in everything except powder. So take an honest look at your riding conditions before purchasing.

Also note that the hover split is very set back and you can't change that. So skinning is a little interesting in comparison to a normal split board. Your halves end up being very long in the front and some traverses and climbs feel a bit awkward.
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac_spartan View Post
So I posted a thread earlier about wanting a new all mountain board but I have changed my mind and would like to get a backcountry board. I need a board that can handle all aspects of backcountry/ on resort powder days because in WV there are usually icy spots and I need a board that has some abilities on a groomer when necessary. Thanks for the help. (Yes PYL is looking pretty sweet)
got to ask yourself....really...how deep is da WV pow and what kind. I'd expect a billygoat split will do
Old 08-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't believe in snowmobiles so I usually hike/ ride resort side country. I actually spend a lot of time riding backcountry on really shitty conditions on porpoise so based on what I've read I am thinking about a Jones flagship or solution, but I have heard you really have to be on your game at all times when riding the flagship. Is that true?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

It actually gets really deep but mainly I am going to Island Lake Lodge this december so I need a real powder board then.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post

Erm no I don't have a snowmobile as there not legal to use in Scotland or the Alps unless you own your own mountain. The OP didn't mention wanting a splitboard in his original post. And as for the hovercraft not being as good on hardpack I suggest you take a lesson or two as I've never had an issue riding mine in Scotland which is renowned for bulletproof conditions. The OP asked for a board that will work in powder and on groomers so I'll stick with my original answer thanks.
francium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francium View Post
Erm no I don't have a snowmobile as there not legal to use in Scotland or the Alps unless you own your own mountain. The OP didn't mention wanting a splitboard in his original post. And as for the hovercraft not being as good on hardpack I suggest you take a lesson or two as I've never had an issue riding mine in Scotland which is renowned for bulletproof conditions. The OP asked for a board that will work in powder and on groomers so I'll stick with my original answer thanks.
Haha, ya shredded wheat, take a lesson.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

You may want to give a bit more information on where/what/how you ride, be more specific on what kind of board you’re looking for cos with that little info there’s too much room for interpretation and misunderstanding to give you proper recommendations. If you’re talking backcountry I would interpret that you‘re hiking for hours, way off resorts. For this – Shred has a point – you want a split (well, if you’re using a cat or heli, then not ).
But if you meant that you just hike some meters off a lift – so basically resort accessed sidecountry - then you can do without a split. If you hop off a lift and hike another hour, then a split would again be a good solution but not necessarily. It all depends on what you aim at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac_spartan View Post
I don't believe in snowmobiles so I usually hike/ ride resort side country. I actually spend a lot of time riding backcountry on really shitty conditions on porpoise so based on what I've read I am thinking about a Jones flagship or solution, but I have heard you really have to be on your game at all times when riding the flagship. Is that true?
Yes and no. BC it's plain and simple a great boards. Predictable and reliable, surfy on wide open turns, stable and good grip on changing terrain. I don't know where or what "porpoise" is and how the conditions there look like, but if ever changing terrain of fluff, crusts n ice is what you call shitty, the Flag would handle that. It can be demanding on groomers tho, demanding in terms of you have to work with your legs. It will be cumbersome in moguls. It’s stiff and responsive, it will react immediately, which is great if you look for that. If carving and riding fast is your thing on groomers, it would be a good board to go after. If cruising and to mock around is your thing on groomers, look elsewhere. Its mellow magne is a good trade off for thr conditions I ride (no pure ice slopes, only patches). Good enough to have no grip issues if you hit icy patches but mellow enough to be not hindering when carving groomers (where a pronounced magne can dig and brake).

Considering splits: I’ve only used a Hovy and Solution split so far. Used the Hovy split once and prefer the Solution for skinning, guess it's the setback of the Hovy binarypie mentioned that made it less comfortable/a more concentration task to skin. Wasn't particular fond of the Hovy solid as well. No issues in fluff, but on groomers and crusts, it's wide shape was kind of dull to ride for me. So if you have like me rather small feet, and want to use the board for resort riding as well, I'd rather go for the Flag/Solution, which are more narrow.
I used the Solution as well on days with short hikes/resort accessible SC/groomers. It's fun on goomers. Not as much as the solid tho. It’s heavier than the solid, you feel a slight twitching from times to times of the extra middle edge if flatbasing groomers, but it carves well and stays pretty stable on a straight line runout. Had the impression that the float of the solid was a tad better than of the split. Not sure but I guess it’s cos the solid has a tad softer nose, well, and it's lighter.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 09-01-2014 at 07:30 AM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote