User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ride Helix 2014/2015

Hi,
I've look through the forums but I cant find much on the new season boards. After speaking to some staff at my local boarding shop I was recommended the Ride Helix board.
Which i went out and brought (little bit of a Noob move I know).

I was just wondering if anyone's used it/demo'd it and what opinions are on the board. I was looking for an all round board I can take on the mountain and to the park. With a bit more flex and pop then my BAT - TBT board at the moment.

Please let me know your thoughts (as its not to late to change my mind :P)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Second worst snowboard I rode for 2015. Now granted I rode a sample so they may have tweaked a thing or two. But the sidecut just wouldn't engage on any snow and just kept washing out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Because someone has to call it how they see it!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

At least it wasn't the worst....
definitely not what I wanted to here though
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM

I spent the last two months of last season on the Helix and loved it. It is basically a DH with an Asym sidecut (for those wondering what happened to the DH). I takes some getting use to to as the sidecut on the Heel is shorter and more aggressive than the toeside. But when you get it dialed and figure out how to smoothly transition from your heels to toe and vice versa it is so fun to carve and play around the mountain on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Mr_Tidbit

Makes me feel slightly better about things lol
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who rides bindings with Velcro as a key fastening component... just sayin (:

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who rides bindings with Velcro as a key fastening component... just sayin (:
Lol wtf are those bindings??.....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Tidbit View Post
I spent the last two months of last season on the Helix and loved it. It is basically a DH with an Asym sidecut (for those wondering what happened to the DH). I takes some getting use to to as the sidecut on the Heel is shorter and more aggressive than the toeside. But when you get it dialed and figure out how to smoothly transition from your heels to toe and vice versa it is so fun to carve and play around the mountain on.
It's kind of funny how technology sometimes evolve into a full circle. My first snowboard back in '92 was a Santa Cruz ASR, basically the same concept with a tighter sidecut radius on the heel side compared to toe side, but unlike the racing boards at the time the heal side was not shifted towards the tail. Rode good. Props to Ride's engineers for reinventing it. Maybe they weren't even born in '92.

Last edited by soulvoid; 09-04-2014 at 04:55 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 04:32 AM
Banned!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
failtrabands (again I have silly friends who love them and ride good but still......)

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:49 AM

My wife loves her Optimo Contrabands and won't ride any other bindings. The only thing she has allowed me to do is upgrade the ratchets and highbacks through the years. The contraband was a great concept and if manufacturing hadn't screwed up the V toe strap on the regular version it would still be around today.

Ride isn't the only company bringing back ASYM shapes. Companies like YES and GNU have been doing them the past few seasons and you're going to see a lot more in the next few seasons from just about everyone. I'll coin it now, "ASYM is the new ROCKER".

There are lots of ideas that were done in the late 80s and early 90s that didn't pan out as the technology wasn't there to make it work. But now they have really been able to fine tune cores, sidecut radius, rocker profiles, bases, flext patterns, etc... to allow for some of the ideas like ASYM to come back and ride as they were intended to back in the day.

|
|
|

Tags
freestyle, park, reviews, ride helix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode