Looking for all around board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for all around board

Hi all!

At first apologies that I am not so familiar with snowboarding terms. I am middle age guy who has now snowboarding 4-5 years (two last years can be called snowboarding, previous ones just learning).

I have had all the time same board, about 5 years old Firefly board with flat profile. Now I am looking new board to replace that but I have no ideas which board would be most suitable for me.

My usage would be:
- mainly normal skiing on groomers (i think this means piste + some small tricks (small jumping etc) there at the edges of the piste
- some skiing off-piste /powder
- most probably I will stay out of the parks/pipes, so not going to make any hard tricks or jumps

I would like to have kind of combination of board with good responsivity for turns but also beeing forgiving (somehow i think that chamber is not forgiving enough even not have had such board) for small tricking. So would some kind of hybrid (flying v etc) would be best for me? Any brand /model proposals?

My "specs":
- 178cm
- 79kg
- foot size 43 (us 9.5)

Thanks!
jjaaskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

I don't have any board suggestions to make, just a friendly recommendation to not refer to your "riding" as "skiing" on a snowboard forum. We don't ski here.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
I don't have any board suggestions to make, just a friendly recommendation to not refer to your "riding" as "skiing" on a snowboard forum. We don't ski here.
Thanks, actually I was thinking that it might not be best term to use but did not know better..but now I Know
Old 09-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm a woman so I don't ride men's boards but from what I've quickly researched the Burton Custom Flying V or the Never Summer Proto are good boards. They are both mid-flex and are camber/rocker hybrids. Check out the website thegoodride.com - they have tons of board reviews and ratings. I have found that to be a good source. Hopefully you will get some more folks to chime in. Maybe a board in the upper 150's? The size I'm not so sure about as far as guys go.
radiomuse210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaaskel View Post
Thanks, actually I was thinking that it might not be best term to use but did not know better..but now I Know
Yeah,.. We Ride, Shred, Slide, Charge, Bomb, Board, Kill-it, and occasionally Fail! But we DON'T ski!!!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomuse210 View Post
I'm a woman so I don't ride men's boards but from what I've quickly researched the Burton Custom Flying V or the Never Summer Proto are good boards. They are both mid-flex and are camber/rocker hybrids. Check out the website thegoodride.com - they have tons of board reviews and ratings. I have found that to be a good source. Hopefully you will get some more folks to chime in. Maybe a board in the upper 150's? The size I'm not so sure about as far as guys go.
Thanks for the tip about thegoodride.com, I will definately check that in details. Anyway have to say that too many options out there so all tips / proposals appreciated.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

you are probably better served to get an honest review of different boards here

Gear Reviews Archives -

or

Here:

reviews Archives | agnarchy.com

You can't go too wrong with

Arbor Coda
or
Arbor Element

but look at the reviews on the above sites They can help you try and formulate a few boards that interrest you, then post questions about those boards to people who have ridden them

Last edited by larrytbull; 10-22-2014 at 05:09 PM.
larrytbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Radio, you've been pretty good so far here. But don't recommend the GoodRide again. They are trash reviewers in it for free gear. They are useless.

OP: Custom FV is a good option for sure, others: Flow Drifter, K2 Turbo Dream, Ride Wildlife, Arbor Element, or a Rome Agent Rocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
Yeah,.. We Ride, Shred, Slide, Charge, Bomb, Board, Kill-it, and occasionally Fail! But we DON'T ski!!!
I don't know, haven't you seen those new ski/boards that Jeremy Jones rides? You can snowboard OR ski down the mountain!!! They're the coolest!!! I wanna shoot myself every time someone says that in the shop.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Radio, you've been pretty good so far here. But don't recommend the GoodRide again. They are trash reviewers in it for free gear. They are useless.

OP: Custom FV is a good option for sure, others: Flow Drifter, K2 Turbo Dream, Ride Wildlife, Arbor Element, or a Rome Agent Rocker.

I don't know, haven't you seen those new ski/boards that Jeremy Jones rides? You can snowboard OR ski down the mountain!!! They're the coolest!!! I wanna shoot myself every time someone says that in the shop.
Don't think i've ever seen JJ trying a spine run with his board split can't imagine it would end well, gonna meet him next week so may have to ask .
francium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Eh, I find them pretty useful. Useless for comparing similar boards? Sure. Are they real reviews? No. Does a better score mean one board is better than another? No.
But it's a decent way to have a quick look at what different companies offer in a certain category without going through every single manufacturers shitty website.
cerebroside is offline   Reply With Quote