New snowboard advise - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 02:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New snowboard advise

I have REALLY enjoyed the last few months snowboarding. This is the first time in my 35 years on Earth that I cheer for snow after December. I now love winter!!!

Well, I started out asking you guys for advise on snowboards and equipment for my 12 year old son. (Thanks to all who helped, great advise)

I eventually picked up a used K2 Fuse size-155 for myself, and some Flow bindings. K2 was purchased with a few pebble sized grooes in bottom.

I have really enjoyed the K2 Fuse, it's the board I learned on, and since have ridden a LTD Mist (Girls board I think) 155 as well, which I hated, as it seemed really "edgy" I guess. I was always on one edge or the other it seemed, and made my calves sore.

I have been up about 20 times or so, once to Brighton resort (Utah) for a full day, the rest hiking up a local canyon, and boarding down.

So....After reading boarderholics info, and much advise from snowolf, I will try to be as specific as possible.

I am 5'8" tall, I weigh 140-145 (thin), I am still in the beginner phases, as I can safely make it down greens, but still fall occasionally, and get nervous with my speed at times.

I have tried and landed a few small jumps, can ollie (timing is still an issue) and ride switch better than I thought I would, and actually enjoy riding fakie for brief periods.

I would like to take advantage of the good deals going on now, and REALLY hit it hard next season.

My goals for next season are to work on butters, which I think are WAAAY cool, small rails and boxes, carving on the groomed trails at the resorts, and bombing the steeps in the non-resort canyons, once I get a little more comfortable with controling my speed using turns instead of heelside/toeside stops.

So I'm assuming I need an all mountain board(?) Maybe a 154 or 153 for better control?? Is this how it works?

I really like the ease of the Flow bindings as well, but you rarely seem to see the pros use them. Is there a reason most seem to prefer the ratchet bindings over the flow?

I will probably stick with the Flows, unless it will really benefit me to go with something else.

I am willing to spend around $350/possibly $400 for a good beginner/intermediate board. But for that much, I need to be a "one board man" and keep up with my progression for a couple years at least.

I really like the looks/sound of the Arbor Element. Is this to advanced of a board for me? I can pick up a brand new one for about $275. Also the K2 Darkstar, as I like my K2 Fuse.

Sorry so long, but any advise is appreciated.

Last edited by cadencesdad; 03-17-2009 at 03:34 AM.
cadencesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
13rian

darkstar would be good.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
kylekilljoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13rian View Post
darkstar would be good.
came in here to post this
Old 03-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
fossilX

arbor makes great boards, never heard of any complaints about them.

flows, are hit or miss with people, i have the nxt at, and love them. are perfect for the short runs here in southern wisconsin, plus i ride by myslef 60% of the time, easy in and out, but on any kind of hill/incline they are almost impossible to get into.

but if they work for your area and riding style now, keep them, unless you got money to burn try some strap ins and see what you like better

not sure about your sizing
Old 03-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you want to butter easy and hit the jibs, the darkstar in 152 is perfect. If you're going steep and deep off-piste as you also said, then it's definitely not the board for you. Actually, jibs and pow are on entirely different ends of the spectrum. But that may be a bit further down the road, yeah?

So for now I'd say just get the Darkstar.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote