The misses just suprised me with a Bataleon Riot!!!!!!!!!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The misses just suprised me with a Bataleon Riot!!!!!!!!!!

I was keeping my eye on the last one on Leroy's website, seriously thinking about getting it. I got a season pass to our local resort after 10 years of not snowboarding and got some cheap board that I thought would be ok. I told my wife I wouldn't need anything else, just the pass. Well, it turned out that the bindings on the board were too big and my feet slid around in them like crazy. I was going to replace those first, but after my first time out, on a VERY cold day, my painful feet told me to get some better boots. So I got some very nice northwave legend boots for $50 on ebay and eventually a pair of Technine MFM Pro bindings. I don't hear a lot about technine in this forum, but the MFM Pro's are SWEET!

So I thought I was all set, feet were comfy and didn't slide around, my board was just fine for carving down the hill. Since it was 10 years since I last went, I didn't think I was going to be trying any jumps, but that wasn't the case. Snowboarding, I discovered, is like riding a bike, and everything came back to me quickly. One day I went with my brother in law, who's half my age and has a brand new board. For one run we switched boards and I was shocked to learn how much heavier my board was than his. Going off jumps, doing tricks, pipe was much easier on his board than mine. I would have used his board for a few more runs, but he wouldn't let me because mine was too heavy.

I didn't want to say anything to my wife because I knew she would say, "You said you didn't need anything but the pass". So I just quietly did my research, reading review after review, pouring over old posts on this board too see what boards are popular these days. I finally decided on the Bataleon Riot. After looking at sites that were selling them over sea's for between $450 and $600, I found one on Leroy's website for $370, and it was the last one. I sent the link to my wife and the next day after work had the "discussion" with her.

As predicted she said, "You said you didn't need anything but the pass". She resisted, saying we could use the money for other things, and I became irritated, angry actually. I don't spend money on a lot of things and this board will last me a while!!! After a while our "discussion" cooled and she said, "why don't we think about it for a couple weeks". Well, Leroy's only had one left and I knew it would probably sell by then. I tell her this and she says, "No it won't, because I already bought it.......

Do I have an awsomn wife or what? The board will arrive next week and hopefully there will still be some snow on the ground. If not, I'm really going to be looking forward to next season. Sorry for boring you with the long post, I'm just really excited.
jonas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Awesome board you will not be disappointed one bit. Congrats!

12+ years riding a plank down snow

Bataleon Evil Twin Review:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...evil-twin.html
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

haha I like the way she handled that "discussion" ...good dialogue

hey let me know how those MFM's go. It seems everywhere I look I hear horrible thing about technine bindings, specially the mfms (they say that they fall apart, materials bad etc). But I know Technine icon on here had good things to say about them but thats about the only positive review I've heard so far..

I kinda want to try out some technine's cause I like their style but I am alittle worried with all their negative feedback...so yeah hopefully those problems don't encounter you, and let us know how they + the board hold up : )
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

After 1 day on the Riot, you will wonder how you could have ever ridden anything else.

You definitely made a great choice!
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Another believer of TBT... It's like discovering that magic shortcut...TBT FTW
ScBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I had MFM Pros, and they fell apart, I got sick of them. I had last seasons the ones with the gold script on black bindings. I lost an ankle strap, a toe strap, the binding itself was always working itself loose, everthing was always coming apart. I wasnt happy, sent them back and switched to K2 autos, great bindings. The MFM bindings are great, but they are a pain in the ass and for what I can get for the same price Im much happier.

CHECK EVERY SCREW ON YOUR BINDING EVERY TIME YOU GO OUT.I cannot emphasize this enough, even if your taking a long day on the hill, check everything midday. The pinnacle of my frustration was when I did a backside 180 on a 15ft table, and I lost the screw on the ankle strap mid air. its not hard to imagine what happened next, I fell hard. needless to say I only had a toe strap and zero ankle securement so my foot slipped right out of the binding.

if anyone has the black and gold bindings, I have two extra ankle straps tech9 sent me that I dont need anymore if anyone wants them. just pay shipping
Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

aw sounds like if you didnt push her about the board during the discussion she wouldnt have let the cat outta the bag and then you REALLy would have been surprised when the board shows up at your door without you expecting it!
litebrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not trying to jack your thread, but I am picking p my Goliath from the shop today. I can't wait to get it out on the mtn and check out this TBT.
conwayeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mrs.Queez

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas007 View Post
As predicted she said, "You said you didn't need anything but the pass". She resisted, saying we could use the money for other things, and I became irritated, angry actually. I don't spend money on a lot of things and this board will last me a while!!! After a while our "discussion" cooled and she said, "why don't we think about it for a couple weeks". Well, Leroy's only had one left and I knew it would probably sell by then. I tell her this and she says, "No it won't, because I already bought it.......

Do I have an awsomn wife or what? The board will arrive next week and hopefully there will still be some snow on the ground. If not, I'm really going to be looking forward to next season. Sorry for boring you with the long post, I'm just really excited.
Awesome wife, indeed! I enjoyed reading your post, I loved how you say you "became irritated, angry actually"-while at the same time, she was probably getting pretty annoyed too, "can't I just surprise you, without you ruining it?!!"

Whenever my husband sends me links to his 'wish-list' items, I try to save them so one day when I return to the workforce, I can go out and spend my hard earned cash on him for a change. Until then, I'll have to continue buying him stuff w/his own money because getting him to spend money on himself is like pulling teeth! What's with you guys??

Congrats on your new board! Hope you get the snow to go out there and tear it up!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

That's exactly what would have happend. Afterwards she told me she was planning on taking me out to dinner and suprise me with it. I'm such an idiot.
jonas007 is offline   Reply With Quote