Question about Cotton - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
m60g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question about Cotton

Can you wear a Cotton T-Shirt over a moisture wicking shirt with no ill effect? I know cotton soaks up water like a sponge.
m60g is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 06:14 PM
earlvb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
No. I made the mistake of wearing a 50/50% wool cotton mix over my polypro base and believe me it sucked. When we took a lunch break I was shivering my ass off.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 06:43 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sedition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlvb View Post
No. I made the mistake of wearing a 50/50% wool cotton mix over my polypro base and believe me it sucked. When we took a lunch break I was shivering my ass off.
I'll take a different view, and say yes, you can. Here is why. If you sweat, and the first thing it comes in contact with is cotton, your in trouble. However, if goes into a wicking fabric first, it will help disipate the moister a good deal BEFORE it gets to a secondary cotton layer. Yeah, it wouldnt be as good as if you had two wicking type shirts on, but I've never had any major issue with like a UA compression shirt under a cotton t-shirt before. *shrugs*

"Nancy Ninja Nabs Nefarious Nymph. Pays Price Per Pissed Pants!" -Flick

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society


sedition is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
BigC_ 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Revelstoke BC
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never had any problems with it, I ride with an under armour wicking layer and a t-shirt under my jacket and its fine.
BigC_ 13 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM
earlvb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
I'll take a different view, and say yes, you can. Here is why. If you sweat, and the first thing it comes in contact with is cotton, your in trouble. However, if goes into a wicking fabric first, it will help disipate the moister a good deal BEFORE it gets to a secondary cotton layer. Yeah, it wouldnt be as good as if you had two wicking type shirts on, but I've never had any major issue with like a UA compression shirt under a cotton t-shirt before. *shrugs*
Well it probably depends on how much you sweat, etc., but once the second layer gets saturated, the base layer won't be able to do its job. No matter how good it is at wicking, it can't make the second layer wick, so the moisture is stuck. I only noticed the effect when I took breaks and was cooling down. It also didn't seem to bother me when I was younger. If it works for you, go for it. You can save some money on the second layer.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually wear a cotton t-shirt as my first layer, thought it would be warmer. and a 2 layers jacket on top. I don't usually sweat at all so that's OK I guess.
campfortune is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 02:52 AM
snaplok
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlvb View Post
Well it probably depends on how much you sweat, etc., but once the second layer gets saturated, the base layer won't be able to do its job. No matter how good it is at wicking, it can't make the second layer wick, so the moisture is stuck. I only noticed the effect when I took breaks and was cooling down. It also didn't seem to bother me when I was younger. If it works for you, go for it. You can save some money on the second layer.
I learned a good trick backpacking during the summer, if you wear a cotton shirt over a wicking layer like capilene, carry an extra t-shirt. I usually go with a Patagonia zip capilene under a t-shirt, but always carry spare.
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome