Board Length and Waist Width are Incompatible. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Length and Waist Width are Incompatible.

I'm trying to get a new board for my wife, unfortunately, her recommended board length and waist width seem to be incompatible. Here's her info:

Weight: 134
Boot size: 6 (womens)
Riding style: beginner / groomers
budget: not really important
Your location of riding: Keystone / Arapahoe Basin, CO

At the suggestion of one of our friendly neighborhood snowboard shop employees, she is currently riding a girl's board - Burton Feelgood Smalls 134, which has a waist width of 23.2cm. She has complained for the past couple of years that the board was too short, and based on an online size calculator I came across, she's right; she should be riding a board closer to 141 cm, but with a waist width of 22.8! I have looked everywhere, and there doesn't appear to be a snowboard model in existence (even girl's boards) that will accommodate both measurements (or even come close). Her current board is pretty close to the ideal waist width, but a good 7 cm too short. I have read that you should always defer to waist width over length, but 134 cm vs 141 cm is an awfully big difference to accommodate. Also, she's a grownass woman riding a little girl's board.

I came across another thread in the forums explaining how to measure the "real" waist width based on the sidecut and center inserts. We're going to give that a shot, but I am not expecting much deviation. Assuming the original waist width estimate is correct, what should we do? She's almost given up, because for the past three seasons, she has had a terrible time on the mountain, no fun, no progression (actually regressing), and constantly catching edges, falling down, and fogging up her goggles with the tears running down her face.

Any suggestions?? Thanks for everyone's help...

Last edited by SnoRida; 10-11-2014 at 02:51 PM.
SnoRida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoRida View Post
I'm trying to get a new board for my wife, unfortunately, her recommended board length and waist width seem to be incompatible. Here's her info:

Weight: 134
Boot size: 6 (womens)
Riding style: beginner / groomers
budget: not really important
Your location of riding: Keystone / Arapahoe Basin, CO

At the suggestion of one of our friendly neighborhood snowboard shop employees, she is currently riding a girl's board - Burton Feelgood Smalls 134, which has a waist width of 23.2cm. She has complained for the past couple of years that the board was too short, and based on an online size calculator I came across, she's right; she should be riding a board closer to 141 cm, but with a waist width of 22.8! I have looked everywhere, and there doesn't appear to be a snowboard model in existence (even girl's boards) that will accommodate both measurements (or even come close). Her current board is pretty close to the ideal waist width, but a good 7 cm too short. I have read that you should always defer to waist width over length, but 134 cm vs 141 cm is an awfully big difference to accommodate. Also, she's a grownass woman riding a little girl's board.

I came across another thread in the forums explaining how to measure the "real" waist width based on the sidecut and center inserts. We're going to give that a shot, but I am not expecting much deviation. Assuming the original waist width estimate is correct, what should we do? She's almost given up, because for the past three seasons, she has had a terrible time on the mountain, no fun, no progression (actually regressing), and constantly catching edges, falling down, and fogging up her goggles with the tears running down her face.

Any suggestions?? Thanks for everyone's help...
First off, get her on a grown up board. More than just size, a child's board flex is not designed for an adult's strength. Waist width is only for reference, the width at the inserts is the important number. That said, get her the right length and have her take lessons, not from you, but from a casi or aasi instructor. A board that's too wide will be less responsive, but a kids' board that's too small is going to be disaster (as you've witnessed).

*edit: I looked at the size charts on Evo.com, and you shouldn't have any trouble finding her the right board. There's tons.

Roxy's Sugar Banana for example, at random:

Sugar Banana Board Length:142 Waist width: 232 Rider weight: 60 - 150 boot size:5.0 - 9.0

That waist width is only 4mm over what you were trying to find. Still not critical, but if it makes you feel better...

Troll -- 1
Afton -- 3

Last edited by Deacon; 10-11-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Log onto Wiredsport's web site and check their fit guides.

Under the "snowboard fit" guide pt 1,.. You will find the way to determine and calculate the exact foot size and board waist your wife might actually need. Might not be what you've been told!

Also, if you are still confused, you can always PM Wired, They are usually very helpful in answering questions from SBF members!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

There must be something off with the 22.8 you mention. Women's boot size 6 is the average boot size. So if your research was right, that would mean that most women would need to ride kids boards cos snowboard companies don't manufacter their womens boards to serve the avarage womens boot size...

Get her a properly sized board (this calculator is legit IMO SnowLifts.com - Snowboard Size Length Calculator and most importantly, get her lessons.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Resident poet

Since ur riding CO...pm BA

Get your gal some private lessons!!!
Old 10-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Since ur riding CO...pm BA

Get your gal some private lessons!!!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, guys!

Deacon: I pretty much spent all morning looking through sites (evo included) and couldn't find anything. After I read your post and went back, I did find a few things. I think my problem was that I was limiting the manufacturers and price range (mainly looking at stuff on sale). Thanks for the tip on the Roxy board; I also just found a Capita "Birds of a Feather" board that is 142 with a 22.9 waist width, and the 144 has a 23.2 ww (the snowlifts site neni referred me to suggested sizing up to a 144 for all mountain riding). Of course, it's a little bit more money than I had planned on spending, but at least now I know there's hope.

Thanks again for everyone's help - I'll keep looking. Also, I agree that once I get her a new setup, it's time for another lesson (or three)! And we'll be sure to do the measurement method over on wiredsport tonight to be sure we get this done right!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

At 135lbs a 141 is laughably small and a 135 is hilariouty. 147 minimum and shoot more for a 149-150. Don't worry much about waist width.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just realized that I didn't mention it, but she's only 5'0". 149-150 would probably be a little long, wouldn't it?
Old 10-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Most important get a board with either rcr or crc profile. Rossi, GNU, LibTech,
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote