noober's #1 post : few questions on equip - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default noober's #1 post : few questions on equip

Alrite, so first post.. here it goes
I've been riding for 2-3 years in L.A and go about 6 times every season (Bear mountain/snow summit!!) and never got around to buying a board and wasted away money at rentals.
I've finally decided to get a board setup (now that the season's over), and am finding out that the search is a pain in the ass (what with the 200000 different models out there). All I've narrowed down my search to is that i want it to be all-mountain, new and run less than $400 for the setup.
My questions to you experts are:
1/When's the right time to make the purchase? now as the season ends? at the start of next year's season or dead in the middle of the summer..
2/Should i buy boots, bindings and boards from the same manufacturer/retail store? Buy them separately from each other? or buy a "Package"?
3/And are the retail stores like dogfunk the way to go? or does e-bay hold anything of quality that is worth the hassle of actually going through to find...
mashya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hello, I think right now is an ok time to buy. prices are pretty darn good the only problem is that most of the sales have been going on for a while so the items left in stock are going to be very picked over already.
Buying everything from one place really doesn't matter too much. Just try and figure out what you want and then see if anyone has it in stock any more.
For boots it is also a good idea to go try some on at a local shop and see what feels good to you. Then either buy them there or if you think you can do better online just order them.
Things like boot size and how big you are will play a roll in what boards you should choose from.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

end of next season is probably your best as most of the stores are sold out now. the sales start in february..
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
13rian

best what you can do is get a sort wish list with boards and bindings, and then search internet and shops. . if you know what your looking for ebay is a great place to get stuff.
you can still get some good deals on good gear, but mainly on internet. sierra, dagfunk ebay and stuff
Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
danmyersmn

It is hard to offer any advice with the limited information you provided. But try this. Evogear has a 25% off listed price right now if you can find something that works for you. The Ride Antic is a worthy board. You don't know what you want more then something that can do a little of everything. The Antic will be a great all around board to get you through next season while you learn what you want to do and how you prefer to ride it. If the Antic is not ideal then it would sell used on Craigs list for close to what you would pay if you buy it at the current price. If it works, it will serve you will for a number of years. The Ride LX bindings are an excelent quality binding that will serve you well no matter what you prefer to do.

If you use the X25 25% discount you can pick the combo up for $250 or less. Buy your boots next fall when you can spend an hour in a local store wearing the boots. Otherwise evogear.com will give you the best price currently if you can find something you like they have in stock.

Another option is to start looking at local stores. I picked up a Bataleon Jam at evo for $230 and then yesterday I found the bindings I wanted. Flow NXT AT at a local store for $63.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmyersmn View Post
Flow NXT AT at a local store for $63.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

I find all my best deals now and middle of summer...the trick is that stock is low pretty much whereever you look so its a mixture of patience, luck and perseverance.

If I was getting an all mountain board I would get the Rome Agent with Rome 390 bindings and I would ideally spend $275 or less. (Note, 390's are not necessarily recommended for all mountain, more of a park binding, but thats what I like for my riding)

also, if you go 6 times every season I highly recommend you take a look at Bear's season pass deals, no waiting in line, discounts on food...depending on which you get you could easily get your moneys worth and more. For me, it takes about 10 trips to "get my moneys worth" on my season pass, but ive gone much more than that : )
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rocketbass88

Sierra has the Agent in regular sizes still... damn good deal too.

Rome Snowboard Rome Agent Snowboard
Old 03-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
danmyersmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
Well, if it makes you feel better. I wanted black and had to settle for white.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post

also, if you go 6 times every season I highly recommend you take a look at Bear's season pass deals, no waiting in line, discounts on food...depending on which you get you could easily get your moneys worth and more. For me, it takes about 10 trips to "get my moneys worth" on my season pass, but ive gone much more than that : )
Yea I actually got one two weeks ago! They had a promo for it (crediting that day's lift ticket to the season pass purchase). I got an anytime pass and it cost me $303!! (excluding that days ticket) which should pay its self in 5-6 trips

Quote:
It is hard to offer any advice with the limited information you provided.
Sorry about that here's some info
Weight: 135
Boot size: I usually rent 9's
Riding style: freeriding mainly but trying out the boxes recently (I intend on slowly getting better at freestyle)

Alright, now I'm gonna go check out some of your suggestions!
mashya is offline   Reply With Quote