New board or is waxing & deburring good enough? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board or is waxing & deburring good enough?

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pptioc096...JpQutbSxa?dl=0
Last year I bought this second hand board. I used it my first vacation (7 days) and I'm in doubt if I can use it again this year. If you look at the pictures: it does have a lot of scratches. Should I look out for a new board or is some good maintenance sufficient enough for another year? I'm still a beginner (can link turns, but can't jump or do tricks) so I don't have a lot of demands.

Thanks in advance
Pickleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

New board definitely
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
New board definitely
Because of the scratches?
Pickleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident poet

Ptex to fill in scratches on base and then wax, epoxy chips on top sheet edges then sand/round the topsheet edges will reduce the little tears from happening. Its certainly rideable sense it does not look like its delaminating...unless it is in that one pic where you are squeezing it togather, but if looking to buy a new board...keep this one for a rock board.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleking View Post
Because of the scratches?
No, because of the low build quality and age. If your serious about snowboarding, you will most likely want something a bit more current. You can definitely have fun on that board while you learn, but it will break down quickly as you ride it more. I understand that getting a new board could be a challenge financially, and if that is the case then disregard my previous comment. However if you plan on ridding a lot over the winter, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade your set up.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Nothing wrong with that, it's not pristine but hopefully this is minimumly what you want your board to looks like after a season. Like wrath says a Lil maintenence will have her looking new. If you like posting picks in "your quiver" threads buy a new deck, otherwise truth be spoken this is all you need to shred the hill.
ItchEtrigR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'd ride it! If you are serious about snowboarding and plan to ride more than 7 days a year I'd plan on upgrading but if not and provided that you tune the board/wax this should be fine for another year. If you do progress you can always hang on to it like others have mentioned, to be a rock board but overall it isn't in that bad of shape for how old it is.
Fewdfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would ride it. clean it up and you should be good to go. a crappy board is better than no board at all. once you have money, you can get something better.
Just looked at the picture, pshhhh. Thats nothing. these light scratches won't even affect riding at all, you will get that all the time. unless its a core shot (see wood), I won't even bother fixing it. the edges are rusty but a tune up will do the work just fine. unless you blew it out, no reason to fix it. overall, its normal wear and tear really. unless the top sheet started to delaminate, I would keep this board just for messing around.

Last edited by speedjason; 10-13-2014 at 11:03 PM.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Ptex to fill in scratches on base and then wax, epoxy chips on top sheet edges then sand/round the topsheet edges will reduce the little tears from happening. Its certainly rideable sense it does not look like its delaminating...unless it is in that one pic where you are squeezing it togather, but if looking to buy a new board...keep this one for a rock board.
+1
Great advise, nice to have early season & late season board.
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Keep it, ride it hard, dirty, and fast. You have 7 days total on a board, there's no reason to pick up a new board before you can carve the shit out of that stiff throbbing cambered deck. Learn to ride, get some experience to figure out what type of sloppy riding gets you hot and bothered before you buy a new stick to strap on.

The only reason to get a new board this soon is if that board doesn't suit you in some significant way, for example, it's length... but it's not always about size. It's how you use it. Otherwise don't be a whore, save your money. If the temptation of spending your money on the next pretty thing convincing you for a ride, then fuck it, go balls deep.

Last edited by tdn; 10-14-2014 at 02:14 PM.
tdn is offline   Reply With Quote