new rider, need advising. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ride4Lyfe

Default new rider, need advising.

hey guys, i'm new here and to the sport. I love to pick up anything that has good adrenaline. I'm going to go out and give it a try in December at big bear (california). I'm going to rent a board at sport chalet and i don't know what kind to get or what to look for in a board to get a first time good experience. about me, i'm 5'11, 230lb.

Also, if you have any good websites, forum,youtube video, or anything that i can read up on to help educate myself will be very appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ride4Lyfe

forgot to mention that my foot size is 11.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ride4Lyfe

lately i had some time to spare, so i started reading on some guides. I think, i think i'm going to get a board that is around 159cm, thats at the height of my nose. Theres going to be a snowboard convention in november, so if the price is right i'm probably going to buy one. so basically what i know so far is that i'm a regular and a freerider or all-round, not sure yet. I also know that i need a board that measures from my chin to my eyebrows.

As for flexibility, i need a stiffer board correct? since i'm a heavy guy? In order to find the waist size i have to get on the boots then get on the board? or do i have to get on the bindings too? I know nothing about side cuts so would anyone explain that to me?

Last edited by Ride4Lyfe; 10-31-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

are you going to skidazzle?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
st.stark

You'll need a slighltly stiffer board compared to someone lighter, but you should look at a slightly more felxible board being a beginner. By this, I mean that you should look for an all around board that is in the 159 range and is more on the flexible side of things. Does that make sense? Hope this helps!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
storrisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride4Lyfe
I think, i think i'm going to get a board that is around 159cm, thats at the height of my nose. I also know that i need a board that measures from my chin to my eyebrows.[/B]

you really want to choose the length of your board based off your weight and not your height.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ride4Lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonk5
are you going to skidazzle?
yes i'm going to skidazzle, i think dec 1 (sat) is best cause i believe saturday will have more retailers there.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ride4Lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.stark
You'll need a slighltly stiffer board compared to someone lighter, but you should look at a slightly more felxible board being a beginner. By this, I mean that you should look for an all around board that is in the 159 range and is more on the flexible side of things. Does that make sense? Hope this helps!
yes that helps and i concur that i need a stiffer board cause of my weight, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storrisch
you really want to choose the length of your board based off your weight and not your height.
so should i go shorter or longer? whats the advantage/disadvantage?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Shorter=more maneuverable in the park, easier to press and such, but less stable, and vice versa with a longer board.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
storrisch

when going to purchase a board you should take a look at the specs on the sticker on the back of the board. I think that a 159-161 will most likely be the range you are going to fall into but it is worth looking at. They will have a weight range that is recommended.