Heat Moldable Liners - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heat Moldable Liners

Whats the process for this? I've never owned a pair of boots with this ability before.

Do I need to take them to a shop to get it done correctly?
m60g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
co loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by m60g View Post
Whats the process for this? I've never owned a pair of boots with this ability before.

Do I need to take them to a shop to get it done correctly?
Back in the old days everyone just stuck their liners in the oven for a couple of hours, but now most shops have heaters designed specifically for heat molding boots.

Basically, your boots are heated for 20 minutes or so, and then you put them on and tie them up loosely. You'll then stand with your toes elevated for another 20-30 minutes, or until the boots are cooled down. Your toes should be elevated by a couple of inches, pushing your heels into the back of your boot. Once the boots are cool you're good to go.

Be aware that heat molding your boots will significantly reduce the break-in period, at the cost of also reducing the lifespan of the boot. If you're somoeone who puts 80+ days (the time frame most boots are designed for) a season on your boots, then it's not worth heat molding, suck it up and break your boots in the hard way so they'll last longer. If you do fewer than 20 days a season heat molding is a great way to make the boots comfortable fast, and you're still going to get at least three seasons out of them. Between 20 and 80 days you just have to weight which is more important to you, lifespan of the boot, or quicker comfort.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i just put mine in my car for a hour or so on a hot summer day
Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by co loco View Post
Back in the old days everyone just stuck their liners in the oven for a couple of hours, but now most shops have heaters designed specifically for heat molding boots.

Basically, your boots are heated for 20 minutes or so, and then you put them on and tie them up loosely. You'll then stand with your toes elevated for another 20-30 minutes, or until the boots are cooled down. Your toes should be elevated by a couple of inches, pushing your heels into the back of your boot. Once the boots are cool you're good to go.

Be aware that heat molding your boots will significantly reduce the break-in period, at the cost of also reducing the lifespan of the boot. If you're somoeone who puts 80+ days (the time frame most boots are designed for) a season on your boots, then it's not worth heat molding, suck it up and break your boots in the hard way so they'll last longer. If you do fewer than 20 days a season heat molding is a great way to make the boots comfortable fast, and you're still going to get at least three seasons out of them. Between 20 and 80 days you just have to weight which is more important to you, lifespan of the boot, or quicker comfort.
Where do you get your misinformation? Is it yahoo answers? God seriously?

Ignore what this guy has to say.

Take it to a shop and get it done. They'll explain the whole procedure. I see you're in Craig. Swing into MSO in Silverthorne and have Jen or Scott do it for you. Remember to tip them.

HAHA couple hours in an oven HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH that's a good one.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What BA said mainly, or just let them mold by themselves which i would do. technically if you really do want to do it yourself its like 3-4 minutes at 110f. anymore and you risk ruining it. that one guy is complettttttley wrong. 100%.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
co loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Where do you get your misinformation? Is it yahoo answers? God seriously?

Ignore what this guy has to say.

Take it to a shop and get it done. They'll explain the whole procedure. I see you're in Craig. Swing into MSO in Silverthorne and have Jen or Scott do it for you. Remember to tip them.

HAHA couple hours in an oven HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH that's a good one.
Did you read my whole post? In the early 90s ovens were how heat molding was done. As I said in my post, now it's done with special heaters in shops.

The guy asked what the process was and I answered. Why don't you describe the process if you think it's so different than what I posted? I also described the pros and cons of heat molding, something people should consider before they mold their boots.

And why would he take his boots to MSO in Silverthorne when he can do it at any of the fine shops in Steamboat?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hey buddy Raichle invented heat molding liners in 1993 even then it was 15 minutes in the oven. If its a true intuition liner with no shape to it nothing bad will come of it.

Everything you described is crap.

If he's going to go to Steamboat and get it done the only shop worth a damn to trust is Powder tools and the only people there I'd trust to do it are Bernie and Jarvis.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
co loco

okay buddy, let's hear you describe the process of heat molding and the pros and cons then
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ok if you want to test someone thats done it for 11 years I'm golden.

There's 2 methods to doing it. The convection oven and the heat stacks.

If you're doing the convection oven you turn that sucker on let it get rolling for about 5 minutes before you toss the liners in. Take the liners out of the boots pull the footbed out and line them up in the holders and leave them be between 10 and 15 minutes depending on which Intuition foam they've used. If its ultralon you're better off going for 15 plus minutes, if its the crap that 32 uses 12 minutes is pretty solid. If its a power wrap liner go for 15 minutes exactly.

When the liner has become warm it's going to expand and look like a giant marshmellow. It's coming out of the over at around 180ish degrees give or take depending on if the thermostat is correct or not. Spray the heel of the liner with silicon spray so it'll slide into the boot easier. Once its in there and on the persons foot have them stand flat footed in the boot and grab the liner and pull up to ensure that you're not folding the liner anywhere. Tighten the boot up and have them stand in a neutral position with the ankles and knees bent slightly forward. If you're going for the effect of more toe room a toe cap put over the foot then with the sock pulled over it is desired. You can also elevate the toes slightly to have the heel sink back into the heel pocket. If a custom orthodic has been created and you want the liner to mold with it. Put the footbed on the foot and pull a sock over it. This will push the base of the liner down and create a better mold to the shape of the liner.

Now if you're using a heat stack which is nothing more than an over grown blow dryer there's a few tweaks. If you have a good heat stack you can control the heat on it the Ride/K2 ones have slight tweaks on them, the 32 ones under perform with theirs. Now I've found that with 32 boots if you're drastically down sizing that double cooking them for a total of around 22 to 24 minutes is key and you can get someone with a size 10 foot into a size 9 boot. Instead of removing the liner from the boot leave it in their just remove the footbed so it doesn't melt and toss it on the stack.

The only boots that it's pointless to heat mold are Salomons the foam they use is designed more to break in with 3 to 5 days of riding than 12 minutes on a stack. Burton claims you can do it with theirs but you have to be careful of what model you use as certain ones you'll heat the gel up and harden them. Same goes for DC, especially any DC with the pump on the liner as you'll reheat the glue and it seals the valves to the pump making it inoperable.

As far as it killing the foam and lessening the life span. If its a true intuition liner it actually should have this done before it ever touches snow and won't effect it. In lower pricepoint boots usually in the 170 and under range you get older generations of foam that break down quick anyways. Case in point pull a liner out of a Salomon Brigade and tell me that heat molding would do anything to that boot.

A big no no is heat molding boots that someone has been out riding in all day. All you're going to do is heat up their foot funk and spread its foul smell across the shop.

So there buddy that's how its done now don't you have some asstructing to go do.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
thomas.s.miller

owned.why does everyone always fight with ba?guessno one readsalll the reviews he has written.