another guy wanting new board advice.. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
zoster

Default another guy wanting new board advice..

...at least i am specific : )

Hi there! first post and thread here..

i am thinking of buying a new board. i currently have a no-name board (well, it says "Mystic" on the deck, and the guy at the shop, 7 years ago or so , when snowboarding in this forgotten place called romania was still something new, said that it was made by Nitro, but whatever..)

my "style", if i can call it that, is all-round, meaning i just carve downhill, i sometimes like to get speed, and i like to to do some spins and buttering attempts on flatter areas where i have the balls to try. some 180s, manuals, basically flatland stuff. i did ride some rails/park stuff and i intend to do this again, but just occasionally, i don't intend to put much energy in learning jibbing. My ideal style, would be going downhill comfortably and pulling 180's and stuff while doing it, but still be able to control the board at higher speeds.

so.. what board would you guys and girls recommended for me?
i should mention i don't ride an awful lot: 1-3 weeks per season
also, i would like it cheap (because of the above point), cheap meaning below 200$. am i able to find a decent board around 160-180$, considering the current sales? well, i guess i'll find out, just name a few models that should fit me so that i know what i should be looking for

thanks in advance!

(other info about me, if necessary: shoe size 8, weight 143.3lbs (65kg), height 170cm (5'7" i think), age 25, still living with parents , so i guess i need a board around 148cm long)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
zoster

umm.. seems my thread for some reason isn't exactly popular, but i'll give it one more shot..

i'm not sure i got the length right, there seem to be different lenght suggestions for my weight in different sites..
which length do you people think would be ok for me, considering the above characteristics ?

i found on ebay a good deal on the gnu danny kass model GNU DANNY KASS DIRTY HABITS SNOWBOARD SZ:153 NEW bei eBay.de: Snowboarding (endet 21.04.09 22:13:10 MESZ)
but i am not sure about the length. also, i don't know if this will be too stiff for me, considering it is a pro model, and also i understand it is a bit wide
looking forward to see your oppinions..
thanks!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It's not that YOUR thread isn't popular, it's that you're one of ten every day, each person asking the same question about 'What board should I get' instead of using the search function. Those threads in general aren't popular. The best thing you can do to get a thread like this answered is either tell people you're a girl or tell people you're looking at a Lamar board. Folks get tired of typing the same stuff over and over. you're HARDLY the only person doing this. I'm not trying to be a dick, so don't misread my tone.

Aside from that, just scroll down the topics in this subforum, I guarantee you'll hit 5 'Looking for board advice' threads in the first three pages. And after that, just use the search function, type in 'board advice' or 'new board' in the search terms, highlight the 'search in titles only' and you'll be whisked away to a magical land with the answers to all your questions.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

at that price point and for what type of riding you do, i would look into a capita stairmaster/scaremaster.
it's a great board that i think is high quality and very versatile. and at like 150 bucks you can't go wrong.
return2heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
13rian

Quote:
Originally Posted by return2heaven View Post
at that price point and for what type of riding you do, i would look into a capita stairmaster/scaremaster.
it's a great board that i think is high quality and very versatile. and at like 150 bucks you can't go wrong.
the capita stair scaremaster is indeed a great board, but i think its to much park for him.
hes looking for a cheap allmoutain freestye board

check out k2s boards. this seasons k2 boards, podium select etc are fantastic.
capita indoor survival wil be cheap
nitro team an t1 are cheap an good but quit stiff.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
zoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
It's not that YOUR thread isn't popular, it's that you're one of ten every day, each person asking the same question about 'What board should I get' instead of using the search function. Those threads in general aren't popular. The best thing you can do to get a thread like this answered is either tell people you're a girl or tell people you're looking at a Lamar board. Folks get tired of typing the same stuff over and over. you're HARDLY the only person doing this. I'm not trying to be a dick, so don't misread my tone.

Aside from that, just scroll down the topics in this subforum, I guarantee you'll hit 5 'Looking for board advice' threads in the first three pages. And after that, just use the search function, type in 'board advice' or 'new board' in the search terms, highlight the 'search in titles only' and you'll be whisked away to a magical land with the answers to all your questions.
yeah, i did read a few threads, and i also read the faq's and stuff before posting the thread.
this thread is coming close to what i want, but the suggestions seem to be really park-like ( = very soft) boards, and i was afraid that the suggestions were made just in the prospect of buttering, not an all-round-er that also works for buttering.
i saw most threads asking for advice on new boards, also seem to get advice, so i thought it was ok to start a thread especially for my own "needs".
anyway, thanks for your reply

could you give your input on which length would be good for me? i got on different sites 148 / 150 /152 ..

thanksfor your suggestions i will look into them now
Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoster View Post
could you give your input on which length would be good for me? i got on different sites 148 / 150 /152 ..
Low 150's given your height and weight.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
danmyersmn

I quit reading this first post after trying to get through your first sentence a few times. It's easier, to read, a sentence, or two, when they, are full sentences, and not seven (thrown together in a form of a running thought), a period != a comma.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Look into getting a bataleon goliath. It can handle high speeds without gettign any chatter. With the tbt it makes 180's, 360's, and carving easier than a regular board.
I need a name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
zoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmyersmn View Post
I quit reading this first post after trying to get through your first sentence a few times. It's easier, to read, a sentence, or two, when they, are full sentences, and not seven (thrown together in a form of a running thought), a period != a comma.
i'll keep that in mind next time i post

Quote:
Originally Posted by I need a name View Post
Look into getting a bataleon goliath. It can handle high speeds without gettign any chatter. With the tbt it makes 180's, 360's, and carving easier than a regular board.
yep, that's a bit tempting, although the ceapest i could find it was 260$.
i just read about tbt and also reverse camber, and i would really want one of these technologies on my new board, but since these are new technologies, they tend to be expensive. i think i'll wait a bit longer , maybe i get a good deal in summer.
thanks for the replies